This is why Prohm must go........

Spell4isu

Jan 6, 2019
Prohm sucks period. He was supposed to come here and recruit and develop great PGs. I have not seen any yet. Monte was Fred's recruit and was already a good player. This program will continue to be mediocre as long as Prohm is coach and with a lot of these armchair fans, we will have to wait until good ole Prohm becomes pathetic as Paul Rhoads. We were getting blocked on this site when we said what everyone knew... that Rhoads was mediocre, same with Prohm, he is average at best and he's not taking this program anywhere. Nothing against Prohm as a human being, but Iowa State needs a better coach than clueless Prohm. We are really in deep sh!t.

When I see a post like this, I am thankful that the vast majority of the "fanbase" have little to no influence over hiring and firing decisions.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
They won’t finish in the end of year Top 25 poll. They finished 9-9 conference and had some good wins and 3 great days in KC. It is a success IMO but once again it goes back to goals of the Program. If you are a “Top 25” college basketball program then this season is the definition of mediocre.

Can’t help yourself, huh?

Who thinks that in the annals of basketball lore, Iowa State is a top 25 program? Other than a couple years in the 40’s and 50’s, Iowa State was a bottom feeder before Johnny came.

Since 1984, so 35 years, we’ve actually made the tournament 19 total times. We have won a total of 18 NCAA tournament games in that timeframe. We have been to the sweet 16 4 times, and of course the elite 8 once.

Those numbers are solid, better than a lot of P6 programs, but by no means elite. Or top 25 level.

Now, I get you want to hold prohm to a different standard, in order to somehow make Fred’s accomplishments seem woodenesque. Fred was very good here. He was allowed to run the program in a very different manner than had previously been seen. It worked in Ames. Be interesting to see how it works in Lincoln.

• Winner
Reactions: spitfyr36

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It's "nuanced". He's the king of "nuance". I've asked him to review the definition of "nuance". But you and I and others are blindly supporting our coach and program to the detriment of the "nuanced" posters.

This is what’s dumb to me. They think he’s terrible on the bench, and managing egos, but yet say he should be the coach.

To bring up the prodigal son again, I will guarantee you that the media guys, and the important fans in Chicago liked Fred as a person just fine. But after watching all these same things happen, none of them who like Fred but thought he was bad, would want him to be within a million miles of that job again.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Every article I have read says that last week's AP rankings were the final rankings for 2018-19.

You are incorrect. Final poll after the completion of the NCAA Tournament. Which only makes sense given that everyone seems to rate a team’s success or failure on a single weekend in March.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Can’t help yourself, huh?

Who thinks that in the annals of basketball lore, Iowa State is a top 25 program? Other than a couple years in the 40’s and 50’s, Iowa State was a bottom feeder before Johnny came.

Since 1984, so 35 years, we’ve actually made the tournament 19 total times. We have won a total of 18 NCAA tournament games in that timeframe. We have been to the sweet 16 4 times, and of course the elite 8 once.

Those numbers are solid, better than a lot of P6 programs, but by no means elite. Or top 25 level.

Now, I get you want to hold prohm to a different standard, in order to somehow make Fred’s accomplishments seem woodenesque. Fred was very good here. He was allowed to run the program in a very different manner than had previously been seen. It worked in Ames. Be interesting to see how it works in Lincoln.

I guess about 45% of the posters on this website believe Iowa State to be a Top 10-25 program. I personally put them in the 25-35 range.

I look at the last 10 years as meaningful. Is UCLA or Indiana a blue blood program? Maybe in the 1990’s and early 2000’s but not now? Does anybody care that Oklahoma State went to 4 or 5 final fours when the last one was over 15 years ago? No they don’t. Oklahoma State is not near the program Iowa State is because of the last 8 years. 7 NCAA tournaments in 8 years with 5 of those being at least to the Round of 32 should mean that this program has raised the expectation to a baseline of getting to the tournament every year. The rise in ticket prices and donation requirements a few years ago were a sign that the AD believed that the program was rising.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
330 teams in d 1. 24th is not mediocre. I do believe we can be better. But with 2 freshman, 2 1st year transfers, and a sophomore who played about 15 games last year in our top 7 players it isn't going to happen. Now this team all back next year look out.

So we are measuring ourselves against low level and mid-level schools. And there are actually 353 schools in D1 now. The reality is that we compete against about 65-70 schools for 34-36 at large spots.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Clearly, the goal for ISU should be to make the tournament every year at this point. Top half of Big 12 every year as well, with an opportunity to contend for a conference regular season championship. This is reasonable I think.

We met that goal this season.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Clearly, the goal for ISU should be to make the tournament every year at this point. Top half of Big 12 every year as well, with an opportunity to contend for a conference regular season championship. This is reasonable I think.

We met that goal this season.

There are 350 D1 teams. If winning conference titles, conference tourney titles and NCAA titles were easy, I think WAY more teams would do it.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think some criticism of Prohm is certainly warranted in areas but can we please close this thread? I would be fine with a thread discussing Prohm's coaching and what we would like to see improve but calling for him to go is pretty disrespectful. Yeah Friday was disappointing but we won 23 games, the tournament champion, and went from last to top half of the league.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Prohm sucks period. He was supposed to come here and recruit and develop great PGs. I have not seen any yet. Monte was Fred's recruit and was already a good player. This program will continue to be mediocre as long as Prohm is coach and with a lot of these armchair fans, we will have to wait until good ole Prohm becomes pathetic as Paul Rhoads. We were getting blocked on this site when we said what everyone knew... that Rhoads was mediocre, same with Prohm, he is average at best and he's not taking this program anywhere. Nothing against Prohm as a human being, but Iowa State needs a better coach than clueless Prohm. We are really in deep sh!t.

He also got better and so did the rest of the players that were already here under Prohm. Now they are succeeding in the NBA. He got better in year 3 and 4 and now a valuable PG for Denver.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017

My goodness...so much to unpack here that I won't even try. If you're waiting for Prohm to get on the same level as Rhoads then you'll be waiting forever. His recruiting prowess alone puts him well above anything Rhoads was able to do. Plus, can you think of two coaching styles that are more diametrically opposed to one another? Anyway, rant on. No amount of logic will break the spell you're under.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
You are incorrect. Final poll after the completion of the NCAA Tournament. Which only makes sense given that everyone seems to rate a team’s success or failure on a single weekend in March.

I feel like there’s just a coaches poll done after the tournament

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My take on Prohm after 4 years is he has done enough to avoid outright scorn or calls for his job, but he certainly has not done enough to earn our admiration. It's been a pretty "meh" 4 years given the unprecedented amount of talent that has come through Ames. That's the reality. We've had enough talent that the occasional Sweet 16 ass-kicking shouldn't be enough. But at the same time, I can remember the McDermott years, and I'm trying not to lose touch with how nice it is to at least be competitive.

To me, the Big 12 Tournament titles are a bit of fool's gold. An accomplishment, yes, but it's obvious we value this tournament more than others. So where that leaves us is up-and-down years with relative early tournament exits, and to me that's where you wind up in that difficult spot. It's enough to keep his job, but is it where we really want to be as a program?

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
So we are at a level now where we kick a coach to the curb and spend a ton of money because you don't like the way he coaches. Let's ignore the fact that he has taken us to the tourney 2 out of the 3 years he has coached. Glad you were not around when Larry and Johnny were coaching. They would have been gone way before they could become legends. Especially Johnny.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
16240.jpg
16240.jpg
16240.jpg
16240.jpg
16240.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames

This might be the worst take in a weekend of terrible takes. Prohm has consistently made the post season, he has won two conference tournament championships. He has recruited some great student athletes to Ames ****ing Iowa.

Are we disappointed we aren't going to Kansas City again next week? Absolutely.

Are the players and coaches more disappointed then the fan base? You better believe it.

I'm excited about the future of Cyclone Basketball as a fan and comparing it to a coach who didn't make the post season after his first two years and had a terrible conference record is pathetic.

Don't need you as a fan, bye.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron