2019 Wrestling Nationals

Newell

Aug 6, 2013

I live in CoMO and attend nearly all of Missouri home wrestling meets. I was at the meet where Willie hurt his knee at Jesse Auditorium. Met his family once standing in line to get into Mizzou Arena. They drove all the way from Iowa to watch Willie wrestle. Obviously a very close knit family. I'm an ISU fan for football and Missouri fan for wrestling. FYI the guy Willie was hugging in that photo is a guy named Larry who is at most Missouri sporting events regardless of the sport. If you aren't sure which one is Larry just look for the guy making the most noise LOL.

Willie and his brother were 100 class acts while at Missouri. I'm sure they will succeed in life going forward.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Does anyone have a link or something of willies blood round pin?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
@buf87 or anyone that was at the social, can you sum up what Dresser said? Any good tidbits heading into the offseason?

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Willie is going to be a grad assistant next year, but I understand that it is not 100% decided if he will be the volunteer coach.

Gremmel has been losing weight. Started season at mid 270’s, currently around 260. They want him around 250 & looking like Derek White next year.

They are working on a roll for Ben Durbin. I took it as something to do with weight training. They also introduced Tim Weesner as strength & conditioning coach for 10 years, so not sure what the specific roles are.

Dresser wants 1500 fans at Minneapolis next year. Have 250 rooms booked.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Willie is going to be a grad assistant next year, but I understand that it is not 100% decided if he will be the volunteer coach.

Gremmel has been losing weight. Started season at mid 270’s, currently around 260. They want him around 250 & looking like Derek White next year.

They are working on a roll for Ben Durbin. I took it as something to do with weight training. They also introduced Tim Weesner as strength & conditioning coach for 10 years, so not sure what the specific roles are.

Any ideas on who the volunteer coach would be if it’s not Willie? Also any mention of senior level athletes, or # of senior level athletes they’d like to bring in? Thanks for all the info!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Any ideas on who the volunteer coach would be if it’s not Willie? Also any mention of senior level athletes, or # of senior level athletes they’d like to bring in? Thanks for all the info!

I assume Ben, if it is not Willie.

No mention of CRTC additions. But think Dresser mentioned some CRTC stuff will be coming out shortly.

Never heard much about recruiting. St John mentioned that he is interested in what happens in the transfer portal, but never said we had anyone specific in mind

cyclonegrap

Sep 2, 2016

Tim is the athletic trainer and did a great job this year keeping the guys healthy.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe and buf87

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Wow people were right that was a quick whistle but I think the right call. Never a more deserving guy to catch a break there.
The ESPN camera was from the other side so I couldn’t tell but I was yellin at my tv for the ref to slap it

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
On another site a poster is claiming KD is landing a very highly regarded recruit from PA. Not sure if this is one and the same.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
On another site a poster is claiming KD is landing a very highly regarded recruit from PA. Not sure if this is one and the same.

Have not heard of a VERY high rated recruit from PA unless it is a transfer. We are in on a couple PA recruits in the mid level class rankings

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Have not heard of a VERY high rated recruit from PA unless it is a transfer. We are in on a couple PA recruits in the mid level class rankings

Rumor is Teasdale is going to Iowa, but that wasn't at a spot of need and he has seemed to be more drama than what our current team and coaches would want to deal with. I'm not sure how Iowa can keep securing these guys all at the same weights without running out of scholarship money.

After hearing where the wrestlers were from at nationals, Iowa HS has been left in the dust. I think a good step for us would be to allow 8th graders to wrestle at least JV. When my son wrestled national duals in 8th grade, you could tell the Ohio and Penn kids were at a different speed. They were used to HS level and we were still hitting JH level at that age.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron