Wigginton Needs to Stay Here

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Not up to us. The NBA will dictate whether he stays or goes. If he can go in the first round, he's got to leave. Lot of money to leave on the table, risking an injury.

• Agree
Reactions: Ficklone02

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I've been on record saying Wigginton is gone this year. If his goal is to play in the NBA then going to Europe this early in his career isn't a good idea. Play in the G League and exhaust your efforts there first.
I think I'd go play professional somewhere and make as much money as I could while I was young. As fast as I could.

• Agree
Reactions: acody

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Foot injury totally ruined his development this year. Would have started all year otherwise. I have to think he wonders why he never got put into a starting role. Can't be happy about that. He's not NBA ready yet but my guess is he doesn't want to come back to be Big 12 6th man of the year. Unless he feels assured a starting position, then maybe he returns.

I remember reading something that talked about his role off the bench and conversations he had with Prohm. Said it took him a while to adjust before wanting to embrace the role.

Hes 100% a starter if he comes back.

• Informative
Reactions: isuno1fan

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I always think of Buddy Hield. I guess I don’t know, but I’m skeptical he was too high of a protected pick before his senior year.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Couldn't you do the same thing playing overseas? I can't imagine one more year in college is going to improve his draft stock a whole lot. I'd rather make $$ than go to class.

Exactly. His raw talent is not going to change with one more year of college. Go make some money. The NBA will find you wherever you play.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
This. I’m amazed how many people think the nba is the only way to make money playing basketball.
But when bball is over if you make it professionally, your degree will be worth much more in the long run.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
He shot 40% from the field and 40% from 3 over the season. He shot 50% from the field and 60% from 3 against OSU. His jumper was definitely not the problem over the season or last night. Regarding OSU, Jacobson, Horton-Tucker, and Babb really struggled to cope with the physicality of the game.I think we should have been working to get Lindell (and for that matter probably Tyrese) more looks so Shayok didn't have to carry the load solo.

If anything he has the opposite problem Monte did during his development.He's gotta work on ball handling and court vision to instead of driving through double and triple teams. If he can get better in that respect I think he'll be truly elite.
Agreed. His ball handling and decision making is atrocious at times. He gets that figured out then look out!

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
But when bball is over if you make it professionally, your degree will be worth much more in the long run.
I have two degrees. I guarantee most NBA players will make a lot more $ in their lifetime than I ever will.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I have two degrees. I guarantee most NBA players will make a lot more $ in their lifetime than I ever will.
I agree that IF you make the NBA you will make more in a few years than we do. He really just needs to make smart decisions regarding his future and not give up college experience and a degree unless he is certain that will happen.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Exactly. His raw talent is not going to change with one more year of college. Go make some money. The NBA will find you wherever you play.

Then why are there any NBA prospects in college basketball? Go overseas and get paid then come back to the NBA if it’s really that easy.

College basketball would be a bunch of Mike Jacobsens if your statement was true.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I feel like European basketball is like a good living but it's not retire at 40 for the rest of your life money

• Winner
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It may be a year or two away, but I think the G-League is going to be a true minor league. With the NBA dropping the age restriction, I think we see a lot more HS kids wanting to jump and hopefully the NBA sees the value of paying these kids to develop on their G-League team. Ideally, I think there should be a 2 round HS draft and a 2 round college/international draft.

Getting back to Wigginton, is there a better guard returning in the Big 12 next season? The 3 All-Big 12 guards coming back are Dotson, Moretti and Bane. Even though Wigginton has some areas to improve- not sure I would take any of those guys over Wigginton.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I feel like European basketball is like a good living but it's not retire at 40 for the rest of your life money

You couldn't be more wrong. Top European players make very good money. Heck even guys in Asia make good coin and treated like celebrities. Just ask Stephon Marbury.

They might not be able to retire at 40- but they will make more than most people by age 40.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You couldn't be more wrong. Top European players make very good money. Heck even guys in Asia make good coin and treated like celebrities. Just ask Stephon Marbury.

They might not be able to retire at 40- but they will make more than most people by age 40.

Seems players have more things paid for like housing, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

So im right?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I agree with the fact that he doesn't seem NBA ready for a 6'2" guy. But his problem is not his shot - though everyone can always work on that - but in his ballhandling and distribution, as has been noted. But he may simply want to go to the G League at this point and not have to write papers etc. An overseas contract is possible but there are a lot of guys chasing those gigs in the leagues that pay well.

Help Support Us

Become a patron