Point Guard Next Season

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
Obviously we all know that at times our offense this season got stagnant and we had some scoring droughts this year. I wonder if having someone else run the point could help our transition game and our offense. NWB was good, but he was forced into the PG last year and he stabilized our team once inserted into the lineup. We didn't have many options but he did a good job and was a little more aggressive last year due to our limitations on available players who could score. However, he isn't a true point guard he was more of a off guard playing point.

Haliburton seems to have better court vision and wonder if him taking over for NWB will be a positive for our team next season. I do not think Lindell is a point guard and that is fine with me, he is our scoring option who can drive and kick but isn't the guy who can find guys in certain spots. I just wondered what some of you thought regarding our point guard position next season.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I only know that Nixon was a high volume shooter at CSU. Without knowing much more about him, I would lean toward Haliburton (who I hope increases his shooting volume).

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think most believe Wiggington will have to play point guard in order to make it in the NBA. If he stays and assuming he believes that too, then isn't he the most likely candidate? If not, why would he stay here? If post season discussions with CSP don't provide a strong indication that he'll be given the opportunity to earn that spot, then I can't see how he returns next year which would be a huge shame.

As an aside, I don't think you can fairly judge his past performance to rule him out for this role. First off, he has never been given that sole responsibility as a starter. Secondly, he didn't start this year and I still believe he is one of those players that does best getting in the flow of the game from the tip.

I strongly believe that if he is awarded the role of starting point guard and knows this is his ticket to get drafted, he'll respond accordingly.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
It’s either Nixon or Haliburton and I’m good with that. I love everything Babb did for ISU but he is a replaceable player. Shayok offensively and defensively isnanother story. A lot of pressure will be on THT and Wiggs to play more controlled and as a team if ISU is going to have more success. I still think the team is lacking a quality 4. If we insist on playing 4 guards again 100% of the time, we will have more frustratingly games.

Last edited:

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
I think the biggest shortcoming on this team was they didn't have a Tinsley or Monte Morris or Cassius Winston or Xavier Simpson or Barry Brown. Someone who could penetrate the defense and dish or MAKE a layup. A lot of bad memories are associated with this type player. Like Cameron Dollar driving the length of the court in 10 seconds and making the layup for UCLA. Or Tinsley blowing the layup that would have beat Hampton. Haliburton is not that type PG, but neither was Jacy Holloway.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If we continue to play four guards and run multiple sets with various guards out top, having a designated point guard is more relevant on the defensive end. I think Prohm will want TH, Nixon, Jackson, and (if he stays) Wigginton to all be able to start a play from the PG position.

But I'll take Haliburton in most scenarios. He can handle the ball well and can defend well with his length. If he can develop his ability to drive and score more, he's the natural fit.

The one drawback to Hali running point right now is his inablity to create his own shot. He's not a shooter off the dribble. Shayok, Weiler-Babb and Wiggs all can take a quick step or two and get a good shot off. If we lose all three, that is my main concern going forward.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The fact that Wiggs and THT can penetrate and create their own shot, it’s not necessary that Haliburton do it. We just need those other two to understand they don’t have to shoot it and they don’t have to barrel through the lane of 4 guys. Work on their court awareness and plenty of opportunity will be there.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It’s either Nixon or Haliburton and I’m good with that. I love everything Babb did for ISU but he isn’t a replaceable player. Shayok offensively and defensively isnanother story. A lot of pressure will be on THT and Wiggs to play more controlled and as a team if ISU is going to have more success. I still think the team is lacking a quality 4. If we insist on playing 4 guards again 100% of the time, we will have more frustratingly games.

Wiggs has to play point in to make it in the NBA. He'll adjust his game if given the opportunity.

I don't know why he comes back if he isn't give the opportunity to play point. He'll transfer to someone who will (and we'll all be punching walls when we see him tear it up somewhere else) or he'll just go pro (note I said pro, not NBA) and will work through it at that level (not best option, but he has to get playing time in that role)>

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think most believe Wiggington will have to play point guard in order to make it in the NBA. If he stays and assuming he believes that too, then isn't he the most likely candidate? If not, why would he stay here? If post season discussions with CSP don't provide a strong indication that he'll be given the opportunity to earn that spot, then I can't see how he returns next year which would be a huge shame.

As an aside, I don't think you can fairly judge his past performance to rule him out for this role. First off, he has never been given that sole responsibility as a starter. Secondly, he didn't start this year and I still believe he is one of those players that does best getting in the flow of the game from the tip.

I strongly believe that if he is awarded the role of starting point guard and knows this is his ticket to get drafted, he'll respond accordingly.

This is why I don't want Wigginton as the PG. I'm worried that his NBA aspirations will trump what is best for the team. When things get tough, he's going to go hero ball instead of running an offense.

Furthermore, if we start to get offensive production from the interior like we all hope and expect, having a PG that can distribute is much more important than a PG that can drive.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Last year Wigginton spent much of the off season away from the team working on his game based on the NBA input he received. We saw very little improvement. For his sake, hopefully he makes better use of this off season. If he chooses to come back to ISU, I hope he is willing to be with his team rather than working out as an individual. If he wants to play PG at ISU he needs to earn it not be given it.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This is why I don't want Wigginton as the PG. I'm worried that his NBA aspirations will trump what is best for the team. When things get tough, he's going to go hero ball instead of running an offense.

I guess I'm confused by your point.

To be a PG, you have to effectively run a team. So, if his aspirations are to be in the NBA and his most likely position is PG, then that should work out well because that is what he'll have to improve on and excel at.

I've never heard anyone say he could play shooting guard at an NBA level.

Mar 7, 2019
I love tyresse but man hopefully in the offseason he gets a more aggressive attitude. Meaning when he gets in the lane with ease take it to the rim or do a tear drop, enough with the always kicking it out. Make the easy play!

Reactions: Doc