Early Thoughts On Next Season?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I finished the "putting a bow" on the season podcast by Williams and Stansbury. I enjoyed their discussion, particularly when fueled by so much booze and pizza as this one at roughly 2:00 AM in Tulsa after the season ended with a whimper. I recommend it to all, but I was going to summarize it here.

One line in this article (ignore the Hoiberg stuff, for now) really caught my eye...

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2019/03/williams-some-perspective-on-the-fred-hoiberg-nebraska-rumors/

Most importantly though, Iowa State is doing just fine without him. Steve Prohm has a program right now that if the offseason goes well, could realistically be ranked in the preseason top 15 next season (seriously).

I thought that was perhaps optimistic. I was able to square that better with the content of the podcast. Going through each of the players mentioned for the next season, it sounds like...

PLAYER BY PLAYER PROGNOSIS

Wigginton and Horton-Tucker = CW was not convinced either of them was a solid pick in the first round of the NBA draft... actually decent chance they would be back next year... both of them have some serious potential next year in college, with CW throwing around things like "conference player of the year" and "All-American" for Wigginton if he comes back to the cardinal and gold one more time, though both of them are going to have a difficult decision

Haliburton = will run the point next year, Wigginton is just not a PG... might not ever be

Nixon = hard-nosed Larry sort of guy, undersized but kind of mean, Prohm really likes him, and sounds like he's going to start and/or play a lot of minutes as the first man off the bench

Lard = really hope he is back, think he will be, might finally realize that potential we saw as a freshman and against Ohio State... he has had his setbacks, but he really is doing better

Griffin = is "going to play," was so far behind because of injury, likes being a Cyclone

Lewis = sounded like they are anticipating a transfer, probably going to fill his spot with a graduate transfer wing, though they said not to expect much... Jeff Beverly seemed to be the example

Jacobson and Young = no discussion of either of them, no indication either grad transfers

Conditt = similar to what we all thought... this guy could be the future centerpiece of the program... hoping he develops more than anybody else in the offseason, potential starter next year depending on who is back, really liking his potential to develop as a stretch/hybrid guy

No discussion of the incoming freshmen.

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
I finished the "putting a bow" on the season podcast by Williams and Stansbury. I enjoyed their discussion, particularly when fueled by so much booze and pizza as this one at roughly 2:00 AM in Tulsa after the season ended with a whimper. I recommend it to all, but I was going to summarize it here.

One line in this article (ignore the Hoiberg stuff, for now) really caught my eye...

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2019/03/williams-some-perspective-on-the-fred-hoiberg-nebraska-rumors/

Most importantly though, Iowa State is doing just fine without him. Steve Prohm has a program right now that if the offseason goes well, could realistically be ranked in the preseason top 15 next season (seriously).

I thought that was perhaps optimistic. I was able to square that better with the content of the podcast. Going through each of the players mentioned for the next season, it sounds like...

Wigginton and Horton-Tucker = CW was not convinced either of them was a solid pick in the first round of the NBA draft... actually decent chance they would be back next year... both of them have some serious potential next year in college, with CW throwing around things like "conference player of the year" and "All-American" for Wigginton if he comes back to the cardinal and gold one more time, though both of them are going to have a difficult decision

Haliburton = will run the point next year, Wigginton is just not a PG... might not ever be

Nixon = hard-nosed Larry sort of guy, undersized but kind of mean, Prohm really likes him, and sounds like he's going to start and/or play a lot of minutes as the first man off the bench

Lard = really hope he is back, think he will be, might finally realize that potential we saw as a freshman and against Ohio State... he has had his setbacks, but he really is doing better

Griffin = is "going to play," was so far behind because of injury, likes being a Cyclone

Lewis = sounded like they are anticipating a transfer, probably going to fill his spot with a graduate transfer wing, though they said not to expect much... Jeff Beverly seemed to be the example

Jacobson and Young = no discussion of either of them, no indication either grad transfers

Conditt = similar to what we all thought... this guy could be the future centerpiece of the program... hoping he develops more than anybody else in the offseason, potential starter next year depending on who is back, really liking his potential to develop as a stretch/hybrid guy

I don't see a preseason top 15 possible. I think the press was really high on us this year and won't risk it next year.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

If all of this holds true I'll be fired up and we should be a preseason top 15 team. At this point however I think that's a big if. Also, if it does hold true please dont get a grad transfer unless he is an absolute stud. The rotation would already be set. Would rather go after a sit 1 play 1 type of transfer i.e. Shayok as we will assuredly lose Wigginton, THT and Nixon after next year in the backcourt.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't see a preseason top 15 possible. I think the press was really high on us this year and won't risk it next year.

I think the press ended with us pretty much where we belonged. This season was not near the **** show that some fans think.

Those that don’t follow with the blind hatred are not prone to overreaction.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

If Lewis transfers, I would hope they would take either a sit-out transfer/Juco/Freshman over a Beverly type of grad-transfer

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Agree with some of those thoughts but I certainly hope we don’t tie up a scholarship with a lower tier grad transfer wing. I would
Strongly prefer a good sit out to develop rather than some guy who comes in for 8 min/game as THT’s backup.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
If Conditt and Lard both make a giant leap I'd love to see them on the court together at times. Tired of getting beat around in the paint. Thatd also be some serious rim protection. Prohm needs to be willing to play both big (two posts) and small ball (4 guard) if your personnel allows you to do so.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The Big 12 is wide open next year. There is potentially no team returning nearly everyone like this year’s KSU. KU could, and if they do will be much better.

Top-15 preseason is unlikely. Top-15 at the end is fueled by the same hope that had some thinking at this time last year that Wigginton could change his game (Wigginton was a slightly better version of what he’s always been). THT is interesting. He arguably had one of the worst seasons for a rotation guy that we’ve had, particularly given his usage. Nader in 2014-15 is the only one I can think of that is worse. Like Nader though, he has potential. Nader matured and worked very hard once he graduated, and had a very good senior season.

Some solid pieces, but we’ll see if this staff can put them together. The two seniors will be tough to replace.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I completely agree with you guys that if we have both or either of Wigginton and Horton-Tucker back and our options for graduate transfers are of the Jeff Beverly variety, then we are better off finding somebody we can stash on a redshirt for the year after.

We are going to miss Shayok and Nick a lot. Shayok had the quietest 20 point games I have ever seen in my life, and Nick was a real steady influence at point guard and had an underrated handle. Neither of them are easily recycled by any program.

If I had to guess next year...

Haliburton
Wigginton
Horton-Tucker
Jacobson
Lard
---
Nixon
Conditt
Young

...or, at least, that is what I would be hoping.

str8cashhomie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 15, 2014
As long as 2/3 of LW, THT and Lard are back, I think we'll see the Prohm special, a 4th to 6th place finish in the big 12 and a first weekend loss in the NCAA's. If more than 1 of those 3 is gone, he'll need to hit the grad transfer market huge or his seat will be white hot. Missing the tourney 2/3 years wouldn't be acceptable. Especially when we saw Texas Tech and Baylor turn their roster almost totally over and still not miss a beat this season.

Genuinely curious how this is the prohm special, or uniquely Prohm. From this year going back, we've been:

Conf. Standing(Big 12 seed)(NCAA seed)(Result)
5th (5)(6)(R64)
10th (10)(NA)(NA)
T-2nd (4)(5)(R32)
T-5th (6)(4)(Sweet 16)

And then under Hoiberg:

T-2nd (2)(3)(R64)
T-3rd (4)(3)(Sweet 16)
T-4th (5)(10)(R32)
T-3rd (3)(8)(R32)
10 (10)(NA)(NA)

These total seeds, conference standings, tourney finishes, etc, all stack up reasonably similarly, and regardless of where people place blame for last year's rebuild or dispute it's depths, a top half conference finish and a 6 seed coming out of a last place finish is a notable tnuraround and points to growth. Hoiberg, as noted, also only made it out of the first weekend once.

The Big 12 is a consistently tough, deep league, with a top half scrum of teams a game or two behind the top. If Prohm keeps us in that pileup (like we were most of the year) consistently, I'm not sure what else people expect from him that Hoiberg did differently.

If those up in the air are back, I see us in that cluster that generally encompasses teams 2-4 behind Kansas, especially with the experience our young guys gained this year, Lard and LW included, since being the stars of a dumpster fire is completely different. We'll miss Shayok obviously, but I'm eager to see the type of tempo we take up with Lindell, Tyrese and Prentiss flying around compared to the more cautious Babb.

Last edited:

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
If Wiggs and THT return, I think they are are a top 20 team and a strong Sweet 16 contender. If only one returns, I still think they are an NCAA tourney team. If neither return, it's anyone's guess.

• Funny
Reactions: Cycloneman24

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Would like to see Conditt start or have significant minutes as he has the most development potential. Every time he was in the game he seemed like he did something we were lacking such as an offensive board among trees or holding his own against a big guy that was abusing us. I know the sample size was super small but saw the potential.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Hate everybody writing off Lewis. Yes, his shot is flat, his defense is really bad, and is going to be a junior. But Matt Thomas greatly improved defensively in the off season. Anything can happen if he puts a great effort on improving his weaknesses. He is the only natural small forward we got. He's 6-6", has quickness, jumps high, and cuts better than anybody on the team. So at least he has some stuff going for him.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
We need to build around Conditt. He has the highest upside. To me, Jacobson, Lard and Solo are all similar players with slight differences so I see your point of only needing 1 or 2.

Anderson is still in HS and brings a little different skill set so I don’t see him affecting the others you mentioned.

I am not sure those three could be more different.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Griffin has become an after thought, but he was a solid 4* recruit with length and the ability to shoot the 3. Exactly the type of player Prohm likes. Would not be surprised to see him start next year as a wing if THT leaves.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If Conditt and Lard both make a giant leap I'd love to see them on the court together at times. Tired of getting beat around in the paint. Thatd also be some serious rim protection. Prohm needs to be willing to play both big (two posts) and small ball (4 guard) if your personnel allows you to do so.
I think it plays to Lindell and THT's strengths. They are better drivers than pure shooters. Having two people to attack the rim after a strong drive would turn is into a tough half court offense. And because Lard and Conditt run well I don't think we would have to stop running in transition.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Hate everybody writing off Lewis. Yes, his shot is flat, his defense is really bad, and is going to be a junior. But Matt Thomas greatly improved defensively in the off season. Anything can happen if he puts a great effort on improving his weaknesses. He is the only natural small forward we got. He's 6-6", has quickness, jumps high, and cuts better than anybody on the team. So at least he has some stuff going for him.

Prohm only played him 28 total minutes in 8 conference games this year. I know he can make improvement but that’s pretty telling of where he’s at talent wise. I’d be shocked if he’s back at ISU next fall

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Unpopular opinion incoming. Turn back now if you don't like unpopular opinions. Or dislike it... IDGAF.

THT isn't a good team player, and doesn't fit well within the typical unselfishness of Iowa State basketball. If he isn't going to play as a piece of the offense instead of trying to be the offense everytime the ball touches his hands, I hope he gets drafted this year.

Not as unpopular as you thought. I agree with it Only thing I would add is that there's 2 sides to the coin and we have players that need to take more shots too. (Halliburton I'm looking at you)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Question: If the team stays mostly intact, and since we should then have depth as well as players wanting court time, should we start pressing more on defense? It looked in the preseason like we were going to more after made baskets, but that went away by Christmas.

When we started pressuring TCU at the end of the game here, it nearly won it for us. I actually thought we might try it in the game at their place a couple weeks later since they reacted so poorly.

I think pressing occasionally can get an extra possession or two which can help win close games. I look at it as a way to change the game up in much the same manner as going to a zone look from time-to-time during a game.

I think our length is an asset in a press. We also have rim protectors and/or on-the-ball harassers in both George and Cameron. (bonus... This could use two bigs in the game at the same time). I would put Conditt on the point because he runs the floor so well.

We don’t press. No one really presses any more. Why can’t we move past the 90’s?

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron