Non-5 Second Call

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
Except in this particular case, the official DID count to 5, THEN granted a timeout. Did you watch the video?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t a player audibly call for a timeout? Did you ever consider the possibility that the Ohio State player started calling for timeout before he made the hand signal, and the official simply had a slightly delayed reaction?

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
Due to a prior commitment I was unable to watch the game last night, and I probably won't watch the DVR of it either (why watch a loss?)

Honest question here; had we ever seen these refs before? It will speak volumes if none of them advance in the tournament to call any more games.

you think refs are held accountable for bad calls? Please explain.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
you think refs are held accountable for bad calls? Please explain.

If it's judged by the supervisors for the officiating crews that they didn't call a good game, they don't advance in the NCAA tournament to call more games as the tournament winnows the field.

At least that's how it used to be done, hopefully it's still done that way.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
We know at this point Prohm isn't a fighter, but I would have liked to see him get a little more fired up at the officials last night.

I thought the same thing. A T would have meant another 2 points to overcome, but it might have paid for itself if the officiated improved.

Speaking of missed calls, I swear I watched the big guy from OSU jump and land before releasing the ball while taking a 10 foot jump shot along the baseline late in the second half. It came up way short and was eventually put in after an offensive rebound.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Ted Valentine was a big ten ref until being let go at beginning of year for 34 years.

I’m sure after gifting osu a win that he will get his old job back.

Wildhawk

Mar 25, 2014
Agree. Love Babb and Hali but they are not guys that are going to score a lot. Jacobson either. Lard can if he gets in the right situation. He was good last night. THT is too inconsistent, Wigginton really came on at the end, so if he is back at this level next year it will help a lot. Just really need a couple of guys that can create their own shot, and then of course make it.
Lard really played inspired last night. Showed some good athleticism and fire.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
After seeing a replay of the out of bounds timeout call, I’m beyond frustrated. The ref clearly counts out 5 before the timeout. That’s not just a usual college ref mistake. That’s intentional. That is a ref deciding on his own he is not letting ISU have a reasonable shot at the winning bucket. I realize mistakes get made and that they are human, but this was no mistake.
He traveled too. Slid both feet two different times to create a better angle for the pass. You aren't allowed to move your feet all there.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I think the most impressive thing from the coaches on here is that they think when a game is within an possession or two with seconds left, that the coach should lose his mind maybe get a technical, and make sure the outcome is decided.

Me, I would rather see him focus on coaching his team.

And it’s absolutely hysterical that you all don’t think he is in the refs ear during the game. But we also have people that don’t think he talks in the huddle too. So, maybe there’s a reason why they don’t get it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The refs were awful, and besides the bad out of bounds calls and the obvious steal for the run out they let OSU get away with dozens of blatant moving screens. Wesson was like a pulling guard out there.

In the end the fault goes on guys that just can't seem to make open shots or have wild turnovers trying to make a play that isn't there. There are a lot of young guys playing, so things could be better next year. Need to find a scorer somewhere.
Don't forget all the elbows he was throwing.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think the most impressive thing from the coaches on here is that they think when a game is within an possession or two with seconds left, that the coach should lose his mind maybe get a technical, and make sure the outcome is decided.

Me, I would rather see him focus on coaching his team.

And it’s absolutely hysterical that you all don’t think he is in the refs ear during the game. But we also have people that don’t think he talks in the huddle too. So, maybe there’s a reason why they don’t get it.
Ya I specifically remember seeing Steve talk to the zebras 3 times, which I'm sure is a small sample of how many times he actually says something. He is respectful and I think the refs genuinely respect Steve for his demeanor. Not sure if it actually works though, considering we had pretty tough calls against us all year.

I also think that bad body language is a big problem on this team. Refs aren't going to like it when you pout and complain after every close no call. Sure as hell won't help you when you need the calls later on.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You are all missing the main point on the missed 5 second call....the Ohio St player TRAVELED with the ball before the 5 second call and the 'timeout' was granted!
There's no traveling on inbounds plays. You get a three foot wide area I think.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
What about the moving screen that Wesson set that got their guy an open three from the corner

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t a player audibly call for a timeout? Did you ever consider the possibility that the Ohio State player started calling for timeout before he made the hand signal, and the official simply had a slightly delayed reaction?
Did you watch the video? He signals for TO after the arm counts to 5, and is granted. NO matter how you want to slice it, OSU was bailed out.