Hoiberg to Huskers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If Fred goes to Nebraska, it sure seems like for all the things he does well, choosing jobs isn’t one of them. The Bulls organization is a **** show and Nebraska? Odd choice.
I think the huge salary that comes along with these jobs offsets a lot of the negatives...

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
The program in and of itself will not fall apart. But don't kid yourself.....in the event that Prohm slips, even if for just a few weeks like this year...that's red meat for the lunatic base of Cyclonenation. Look what happened this season when things seemed to be going south.....and Fred wasn't even coaching. Now he might be right next door. No.....ISU mens basketball will be survive without Fred. But I would sure hate to be the coach at ISU if somehow a Fred led NU ends up with more wins at the end of a season.

Never met a successful person that walked away from a challenge. If Prohm wants to show that Cyclone basketball is better with him then want better way than to beat CFH on the court and on the recruiting trail.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Add a Foster or Lipsey commitment to Nebraska, and that could be enough to have any Cyclone MBB head coach looking elsewhere.

It won’t just the lunatics going after Prohm that are bad, those people are generally there regardless. It’ll be tough on any Cyclone basketball coach as long as Cyclone fans think the Mayor (of Ames) is the coach of Nebraska. It’s one thing to share the spotlight and hearts with Hoiberg when he’s in the NBA, but another when he’s recruiting guys you’re in on, like Foster and Lipsey.

Maybe CSP should just out-recruit Fred. CFH never brought in a lot of talented high schoolers and never recruited Iowa so I’m not sure why everyone is so concerned.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Actually, I’m sure Prohm would welcome him. He’s that guy, and aware of the history of this place.

As far as Fred goes,

That will depend if espn is there and offering an interview opportunity to pr himself, or not.

If CSP is that guy then nobody should be concerned about him going to Alabama. I just wish this wasn’t a distraction for his team.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
If he is coaching again I'm kind of glad it is in college. It actually gives ISU a little bit of security.

If Prohm ever leaves (maybe if Bama or LSU come in offering a ridiculous contract, for example) we would have a good chance of getting him away from Nebraska. If he was in the NBA (say Timberwolves) there is probably zero chance he would consider coming back. If he's in Lincoln in a couple years and ISU has a job opening I would imagine he'd at least look into it.

His contract is rumored to be $4 mil for seven years. I doubt he'd leave that money and ISU would put up that money to get him. It would all depend on the buyout anyways. At ISU, he had a large buyout if he went to another university while hardly anything if he went to the NBA.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe CSP should just out-recruit Fred. CFH never brought in a lot of talented high schoolers and never recruited Iowa so I’m not sure why everyone is so concerned.

Well of course. Prohm should try to out-coach and out-recruit all competition. Are you familiar with what competition entails? Fred, Fran, Self etc are all competition and that thus by definition they’re not Cyclones. Rooting for Prohm recruiting doesn’t leave room for any Fred. Then there’s the exposure and brand aspect. Unless he fails, he’ll take some of that, too. Just like Fran at Iowa, I hope he fails so that ISU doesn’t share the spotlight.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
If CSP is that guy then nobody should be concerned about him going to Alabama. I just wish this wasn’t a distraction for his team.

You’re actually mad this Alabama rumor is taking attention away from Fred.

He’s going to do what he needs to do for himself and his family. You should support him in whatever he does.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Who the heck actually knows. I feel like people are just making stuff up at this point.
Maybe I'm the source. I have knowledge of the state of Nebraska.

The capital is Lincoln.
The capitol building looks like my junk (this may be wishful thinking).
The biggest city is Omaha.
There's a nice golf course in the north central part of the state.
The college football fans are weird.

• Funny
  • Winner
Reactions: Bocy and Cyder91

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

He’s going to do what he needs to do for himself and his family. You should support him in whatever he does.

I will support him in his decision. But it would be disappointing when he has consistently told insiders that he wants to retire at Iowa State.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I will support him in his decision. But it would be disappointing when he has consistently told insiders that he wants to retire at Iowa State.

Dream jobs change I guess. Wanting to coach your son at Iowa State wasn’t the dream either I guess, even though it was stated.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Man, I just don’t see this happening but do wish him all the best!

Always thought he’d get the Arizona job.

Going to be an interesting contract.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

I don’t really care where CFH lands. He isn’t coming back to Iowa State and anyone that thinks that is delusional. CSP is a good coach and I stated earlier has matched Fred’s accomplishments. I think CSP leaving for Alabama would hurt the program. Much of that is based upon my sincere lack of faith that JP would actually look for the best candidate.