WWE WrestleMania 35 Weekend Thread

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Interesting as hell video if you’re curious how wrestlers can wrestle outdoors While minimalizing the impacts of what could be a cold New York WrestleMania.

• Friendly
Reactions: Knownothing

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
WWE has just announced that Rousey/Lynch/Flair for the Raw Women’s title will be THE main event for WrestleMania, making it the first time women have done so.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlema...re-first-ever-womens-main-event?sf209889197=1

This was the anticipated move for I’m going to say about 6 months now, but now it’s official.

And while I’ll be the first in line to say that these three deserve it, I’m also going to say that in the last few weeks perhaps Daniel Bryan and Kofi Kingston deserve it more (although the match isn’t official, we all know this is where that feud is going, and them announcing this now hardly is a mask for Bryan-Kingston - as I said, we’ve known this was the route for about 6 months).

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Decided to put this part in a second post.

The problem with Rousey-Flair-Lynch is all of the overbooking (some of it necessary) since the lead up to Survivor Series has hurt this entire story, and fans retroactively rewriting the story themselves has hurt it more.

It was always supposed to be Flair-Rousey in the Main Event of WM, with Lynch-Rousey at Survivor Series, with Becky losing that match exactly how Charlotte lost it: disqualification. Now, three routes could have come from there, all of them starting with Lynch-Rousey pt. 2 at Royal Rumble with Rousey winning: Charlotte winning the Rumble, setting up Flair-Rousey as the main event while Lynch-Asuka also happened; 2. Becky doubles up and wrestles in the Rumble, but Charlotte wins controversially, and Becky finds a way to insert herself into the match; 3. Becky doubles up and wrestles in the Rumble and wins, and Charlotte finds a way to insert herself into the match.

The problem is Nia freakishly injuring Becky which caused the plans to derail, and this entire thing has become a mess since.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Decided to put this part in a second post.

The problem with Rousey-Flair-Lynch is all of the overbooking (some of it necessary) since the lead up to Survivor Series has hurt this entire story, and fans retroactively rewriting the story themselves has hurt it more.

It was always supposed to be Flair-Rousey in the Main Event of WM, with Lynch-Rousey at Survivor Series, with Becky losing that match exactly how Charlotte lost it: disqualification. Now, three routes could have come from there, all of them starting with Lynch-Rousey pt. 2 at Royal Rumble with Rousey winning: Charlotte winning the Rumble, setting up Flair-Rousey as the main event while Lynch-Asuka also happened; 2. Becky doubles up and wrestles in the Rumble, but Charlotte wins controversially, and Becky finds a way to insert herself into the match; 3. Becky doubles up and wrestles in the Rumble and wins, and Charlotte finds a way to insert herself into the match.

The problem is Nia freakishly injuring Becky which caused the plans to derail, and this entire thing has become a mess since.

Exactly. This is why the constant cries of Charlotte being 'shoehorned' in the match are so far off base.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
The women's triple threat has definitely lost a lot of steam. Becky was white hot but they haven't been able to keep that momentum going and I think it's mostly Vince and creative getting in their own way. Becky had this whole bad ass underdog face vibe going and they totally went away from it for whatever reason. Having her apologize, the stupid knee injury, and her too cool for school laid back demeanor most of the time are all things that have contributed to Becky becoming pretty meh at this point. Ronda finally dropping the smiley crap and being what she should have been from the get go helps but I think this feud will go down as not reaching it's full potential. Guess it's possible they have some big stuff planned to get people excited over the next couple weeks. If they want to get it back on the right track, they better come with a hell of a lot more than Ronda leading Travis Browne around the arena and Becky sporting a **** eating grin while Charlotte cuts her down on the mic. As long as they go out and put on a great match at Mania, which I think they will, none of the bungled build up will really matter all that much.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The women's triple threat has definitely lost a lot of steam. Becky was white hot but they haven't been able to keep that momentum going and I think it's mostly Vince and creative getting in their own way. Becky had this whole bad ass underdog face vibe going and they totally went away from it for whatever reason. Having her apologize, the stupid knee injury, and her too cool for school laid back demeanor most of the time are all things that have contributed to Becky becoming pretty meh at this point. Ronda finally dropping the smiley crap and being what she should have been from the get go helps but I think this feud will go down as not reaching it's full potential. Guess it's possible they have some big stuff planned to get people excited over the next couple weeks. If they want to get it back on the right track, they better come with a hell of a lot more than Ronda leading Travis Browne around the arena and Becky sporting a **** eating grin while Charlotte cuts her down on the mic. As long as they go out and put on a great match at Mania, which I think they will, none of the bungled build up will really matter all that much.

Becky’s still hot (perhaps not white hot). She’s the only one of the three that is keeping this feud alive, both on TV and on social media. Charlotte is doing her part and is doing some excellent heeling especially on TV, but she’s too big of a face off TV for her social media to sound credible, and even if she was she’s just not as good at it as Becky (that’s not a knock, she’s just that good). The problem is Ronda’s the dead weight in this feud, yet at the same time she’s the reason why this is a main event match. Turning her heel was a smart move as she’s a natural heel, but it might have been too little too late.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
In an interesting move, the Hart Foundation is being inducted into an already extremely Tag team oriented HOF class.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I hate what they've done with Lynch. She was doing well as the anti establishment underdog I don't care who I piss off and then they had her play nice so they could promote and congratulate her in the first WM main event for women. While that's a good achievement, just killed the storyline.

Other thoughts.....HHH can still sell a promo. Orton/AJ also have had some great moments. It's nice not to have to see Cena come around for his 15 minutes of past his prime fame.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: HitItHard58

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well, that is interesting. Charlotte just beat Asuka for the Smackdown Women's title.

Just read an interesting theory as to what WWE might be doing in both the short and long terms with Charlotte winning the title tonight.

All indications are this is NOT a title unification match - Charlotte will leave WrestleMania as the SD Women’s champ regardless. Why is that important? Because if the theory plays out, all of the WWE Horsewomen will be holding a title at the end of the evening.

First, Sasha and Bayley are going to retain their titles earlier in the evening.

Next, Becky pins Charlotte to win the Raw Women’s title. This sets off Ronda (who’s a far bigger heel than Charlotte at this point), who relentlessly beats down Becky because she just lost her title to her without being involved in the decision (the major downside to a multi person match), a match that she likely dominated up to that point. Charlotte, in an moment of reflex, defends Becky, only for Shayna Baszler (who just got done losing her NXT Women’s title on Friday in her own multi person match, also probably not involved in the decision) to blindside her. They are joined by Marina Shafir and Jessamyn Duke and continue the onslaught, until Bayley and Sasha show up and help fight them off. All four are champions in the ring standing tall to end WrestleMania, and 4HW vs 4HW is born.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Just read an interesting theory as to what WWE might be doing in both the short and long terms with Charlotte winning the title tonight.

All indications are this is NOT a title unification match - Charlotte will leave WrestleMania as the SD Women’s champ regardless. Why is that important? Because if the theory plays out, all of the WWE Horsewomen will be holding a title at the end of the evening.

First, Sasha and Bayley are going to retain their titles earlier in the evening.

Next, Becky pins Charlotte to win the Raw Women’s title. This sets off Ronda (who’s a far bigger heel than Charlotte at this point), who relentlessly beats down Becky because she just lost her title to her without being involved in the decision (the major downside to a multi person match), a match that she likely dominated up to that point. Charlotte, in an moment of reflex, defends Becky, only for Shayna Baszler (who just got done losing her NXT Women’s title on Friday in her own multi person match, also probably not involved in the decision) to blindside her. They are joined by Marina Shafir and Jessamyn Duke and continue the onslaught, until Bayley and Sasha show up and help fight them off. All four are champions in the ring standing tall to end WrestleMania, and 4HW vs 4HW is born.

You're exactly right. Becky gets her (brief) moment and Vince sets up a white hot 6 month arc that ends with a 4 on 4 at Survivor Series which coincidentally can have the last month of build on FOX . They can do Baszler/Charlotte and Ronda/Becky at SummerSlam.

Too bad there is nothing near this compelling on the Men's side.

Reactions: HitItHard58

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
JBL flipped me off one time in Nashville, but he was in character and I thought it was awesome. Played a great heel.

My mom used to work at the airline and notified me back in the day that the WWE guys were on a plane heading to des moines. I went to the airport and put on a Miami Hurricane hat just so that when I said hi to the Rock. I could talk to him about something. He spoke with me about 10 minutes waiting for his bag. This was pre big movie star Rock but top of the WWE chain Rock. He was probably getting ready to film the Rundown. Cool mofo for sure. Just how you would expect him to be. HHH and Big Show did the big Ego or tired from the plane trip thing. Not sure which. I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
NXT TakeOver: New York card set:

War Raiders (c) vs Ricochet and Aleister Black (NXT Tag Team championship)
Pete Dunne (c) vs Walter (WWE UK championship)
Johnny Gargano vs Adam Cole (2 out of 3 falls match for vacant NXT championship)
Velveteen Dream (c) vs Matt Riddle (NXT North American championship)
Shayna Baszler (c) vs Io Shirai be Bianca Belair vs Kairi Sane (Fatal 4-Way for NXT Women’s championship)