DC Extended Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Why is that? Admittedly I don't read comics so I have no idea what the personality of Deadshot was there. But in the movie, I thought Will Smith killed it, and I enjoyed his scenes.

Just like his look better. More gruff and grizzled. No offense to Will

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://screenrant.com/flash-movie-production-filming-start/

The Flash movie, which has been on hiatus for what seems like forever now apparently has a production start date now of November. This is one of those where it will always be on my I'll believe it when I see it docket.

And now more drama regarding the Flash. Apparently Ezra Miller does not like the tone of the latest script, which is said to be light-hearted and fun, which would mirror the tone of Aquaman & Shazam. Miller and none other than Grant Morrison are revising the script for a more darker tone. If DC rejects Millers script, Miller could walk away from the role of the Flash.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...r-ezra-miller-writing-script-bid-star-1194937

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Don’t call it Suicide Squad 2 - James Gunn is still writing/directing the next Suicide Squad film which is now a “total reboot” of the franchise and is being called “The Suicide Squad.”

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/03/18/james-gunns-suicide-squad-is-a-reboot-called-the-suicide-squad

Also, WB Chairman & CEO Kevin Tsujihara has stepped down as it just came out that he used his influence to have filmmakers cast Charlotte Kirk in WB films. He has admitted he was having an extramarital affair with Kirk.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/03/...following-scandal-with-actress-charlotte-kirk

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...nts-to-play-the-riddler-in-the-batman-a167267

James Mcavoy apparently would love to play the Riddler sometime. Could you imagine that? Truthfully, I can't think of anyone who could be better in that role. Lets sign the dude up.

This is the worst thing about the DCEU. There are SO many good characters, and awesome actors to play them, but I feel like DC will **** up the movies.

The only thing they've done well is Nolan's Batman movies. The older Batman movies were also good, but then they screwed the pooch with the sequels.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This is the worst thing about the DCEU. There are SO many good characters, and awesome actors to play them, but I feel like DC will **** up the movies.

The only thing they've done well is Nolan's Batman movies. The older Batman movies were also good, but then they screwed the pooch with the sequels.

I tend to agree with you. HOWEVER, if DC has done a good job for the most part of anything, granted with a few outliers (Eisenberg as Lex Luthor), they've done a pretty stellar job with their casting. Its after they cast the right people that they tend to screw the pooch.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I tend to agree with you. HOWEVER, if DC has done a good job for the most part of anything, granted with a few outliers (Eisenberg as Lex Luthor), they've done a pretty stellar job with their casting. Its after they cast the right people that they tend to screw the pooch.

Yeah I wouldn't say any of their casting has been horrible. Ben Afleck as Batman might have been a stretch, but I understand where they were going with it.

It's just disappointing because the Nolan Batman films were so good, and they haven't done really anything worth following it up.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I took the kids to Shazam last night. It was ok, we had a fun time.

Felt like more of a kids movie than I thought I was going to see.

I thought the homage to the movie Big was clever, as well as how existing in the "world of DC superheroes" affected everyday life for the characters. All the DC movies so far have done a good job of working that in, whereas it is an afterthought to the Marvel movies. I liked the lighthearted tone overall, but towards the end they tried to downshift into a more traditional good guy vs. bad guy plot and it felt odd compared to what had happened previously.

It was better than Aquaman.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-spoiler Review) So, I saw Shazam opening night, but have been so swamped, it hasn't been until now that I've been able to draw up my usual review I do on everything. To preface this thing, I think it is first worth mentioning that "Big" is on my top 10 favorite movies of all time list, so the fact that this movie is set up as being "Big" with superheroes made me predisposed to love this thing. With that said, overall, I really liked the movie, but due to a few things I hoped would knock it out of the park falling a bit flat, it did end up a bit short of me loving the movie. Here is a bunch of bullet-points of the things I liked as well as a few of things I didn't.

Pros
-How Director David Sanberg balanced the tones of his horror (his background), Shazam's comic history, a fun comedic tone, while all still fitting believably into the DCEU was pretty amazingly impressive. This was a hard task.
-All the acting was amazing which included all the kids, Billy's foster parents, Zachary Levi as Shazam, and even the villain Mark Strong as Dr. Savana
-The movie was hilarious with the comedic tone bouncing off the horror in a perfect contrasting way
-The villain was not only menacing, but also well-written. Mark Strong put on a great performance
-Everything surrounding Billy's Foster family was a lot of the best stuff in the entire movie
-The family themes of the movie were heart-warming and touching to the point where I don't know how someone can't walk away from Shazam without feeling good and uplifted about what you just saw
-They did this movie with a smaller budget, but it didn't feel that way at all
-They balanced the practical effects with the CGI amazingly well

Cons
-Some of the early-on motivations and why Billy for the wizard passing the powers on to Shazam just fell a bit flat to me and didn't have the gravitas I would have liked
-While well-acted by both actors for what they did, I never felt like the young Billy and the old Billy ever synced to the point where they almost felt like two different characters. I could never mesh-up the more serious young Billy with the goofy Zachary Levi Shazam.
-There were a few big-stage hero moments the movie set up which I was waiting to just knock it out of the park with me whether through the writing, the score, the dialogue or a combination of all of them. However, they just didn't in any of those categories. They weren't bad, but just not great. This was probably the biggest thing that kept me from loving the movie.

Anyway, those are most the big pros and cons of the movie for me. Again, I still really enjoyed this movie and had a ton of fun. Its just interesting because the amazing directing job that made this movie tons of fun by balancing all the tones so well was also the same directing job that couldn't drive the runners home when all the bases were loaded. Actor Martin Cove of Karate Kid fame once said, every amazing movie really needs 4 of 5 of those big moments to make a good movie great. You either hit on them or you don't. This movie was so so close to having 4 or 5, but ended up with 2 or 3. Still, very good directing job overall. Regardless, I encourage everyone to check this movie out as I promise you won't regret it. Like it did for me, it should leave you at a minimum with a positive outlook for DC movies moving forward, especially with Shazam himself. Keep an eye out for my updated DCEU (yeah I know that isn't technically the name now, but I don't care) to include Shazam soon.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
My kids can't wait to see this. Glad to hear it's good. I saw Aquaman in the last few weeks and it was okay.

Word to the wise on bringing your kids as you'll see me mention this in my review above too, but while this is a great movie made for kids, beings how Sanberg used to be a horror director, there is some stuff in this movie that may terrify little kids too. I'd compare it closest to the Doc Ock scene in Spider-Man 2. While not gruesome, it is shown in a way that could make a kid crap their pants in horror. It all depends on your kids age and how easily they get scared. Your call. I would love to show my 4-year-old daughter this movie, but I'm still a little uneasy and holding back.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/black-adam-movie-filming-2020/

The Rock says The Black Adam movie is still on and starting filming next year. While I've always been in the I'll believe it when I see it category for this movie, which has been in the works for years now, based off of both the recent success of Shazam and how it sets up a future Black Adam movie well, I can finally say I believe him now when he says it.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Word to the wise on bringing your kids as you'll see me mention this in my review above too, but while this is a great movie made for kids, beings how Sanberg used to be a horror director, there is some stuff in this movie that may terrify little kids too. I'd compare it closest to the Doc Ock scene in Spider-Man 2. While not gruesome, it is shown in a way that could make a kid crap their pants in horror. It all depends on your kids age and how easily they get scared. Your call. I would love to show my 4-year-old daughter this movie, but I'm still a little uneasy and holding back.

My 10 year old didn't have a problem but my 7 year old hid his eyes during the boardroom scene with the 7 sins, that was probably the most intense part. All in all I'd agree with your review, it was a very enjoyable movie as an adult. '

For the kids, they LOVED it. I expect this will become one of those cult movies that my kids will revisit many times as they grow up and look back on fondly. They had a similar reaction to Ready Player One, which while an okay movie from an adult standpoint, it hit all of the tones to suck an elementary aged kid into the world and make the movie a longtime favorite for them.

Reactions: Triggermv

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
YourMovieSucks.com actually gave it a 7/10, even though he's notorious for giving luke-warm at best reviews for comic book movies. Hell, even the director for Shazam was shocked (see below). Feel free to watch. He does really good reviews if anyone is on the fence on seeing it or not.