Hoiberg to Huskers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
WTF makes Texas A&M a better basketball job than Nebraska? Am I missing something? Hoiberg could win just as easily at Nebraska as he could A&M. Nebraska has better fans, a better arena, Lincoln is no worse than college station, Nebraska is willing to spend unlimited money to win, and the Big Ten is a way better basketball league than the SEC.

nebraska thinks it has money, a&m knows it has money

• Agree
Reactions: Cdiedrick

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It'd be a big **** you to Iowa State.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Halincandenza

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
My impression is that Fred would do better at a place like Nebraska where expectations aren't sky high. He can be good and Nebraska fans will love him. And if he ever did have ISU-like success, he would be a god there.

Much better than UCLA where its final four or bust (and then sometimes that isn't even good enough - Ben Howland). And if (big if) they pay similar money, why not Nebraska?

I certainly wouldn't blame him. But I won't be lining up to jump on the Nebraska bandwagon either.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Seriously, as I saw someone simply say yesterday on the radio, Fred is unemployed and can decide what he wants and has the luxury of not "needing" a job. Heck, Fred started as a young kid in Nebraska so it's fair to say he may have some affinity to them like he did us (with his grandpa coaching, etc). For the same reason Campbell seems to like Ames (the chance to do something special with a team with not much history), Fred could do the same at Nebraskaball.

I think we all need to remember, these folks (coaches, universities, etc) don't always look at this with fan lenses on like us. We like to think that Jamie and Fred hung out at the water cooler making small talk and discussing contracts, but that's not how this works.

I respect Fred, am thankful for his time as a player here, thankful for him turning us around, and wish him the best.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
If I was Fred, I’d stay home and count my cash. He has plenty of money and who needs the stress?

I've said this often for coaches that get let go and have a big old payout. But as many say, these folks are competitive, driven, etc. But yes, assuming Fred has LOTS of stored up cash, I'm drawing off the interest to travel, maybe get a second home in a cool place, outfitting a home like old school MTV cribs, etc.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I've said this often for coaches that get let go and have a big old payout. But as many say, these folks are competitive, driven, etc. But yes, assuming Fred has LOTS of stored up cash, I'm drawing off the interest to travel, maybe get a second home in a cool place, outfitting a home like old school MTV cribs, etc.

I know a number of people who have more money than Fred who keep working...it's part of who they are. Guys like me who want to have that money say they'd travel and do fun stuff...but I think people at the next level think and live differently. This is what makes them able to be more financially successful than most.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
After all the rounds of coaching rumor season ISU has been through, how does anybody buy into these types of rumors right away?

If Fred really WANTED the NU job, you wouldn't hear a lick about it until he was in Lincoln meeting the players. The fact that his agent is entertaining their potential interest publicly means nothing more than Fred is announcing his interest in going back to the college game and wants all the AD's to know it so they can visit with his agent at the Final Four.

Honestly, you sort of have to feel bad for the NU AD who hasn't said anything publicly as far as I'm aware, for permitting Hoiberg's agent to use them like that. But it's a thing that happens. All Hoiberg's camp needs to do is give a Husker booster or two a little love on the phone and watch the runaway train leave the station. Mission accomplished.

Now, that's not to say Fred would never take the NU job. It is possible he is not regarded highly enough for various reasons to earn a better position from another AD and he winds up there. But I doubt that would be the landscape given the NCAA tournament has not even tipped off yet. With a couple high profile jobs already open, and other good ones becoming open once those get filled, the coaching job landscape isn't even fully understood from where we sit today. So Fred and his agent can sit back and wait to see what rolls in, knowing the NBA job market will begin shifting pieces in a couple weeks as well.

My money says Fred stays in the NBA (or at home cashing Bulls checks) unless given the opportunity to coach a top 15 type college program. NU ain't that. They are going to get another mid major coach who has a good run in this year's tournament, at best.