Ranking travel paths to the final four

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For years I've beat friends in pools by focusing on playing location. ISU and Cinci really jump out this year as sub 4 seeds that got great potential playing sites.

I've complained a ton over the years about where we've had to play but this year we can't complain. We're 50 miles closer to Tulsa than Houston.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
For years I've beat friends in pools by focusing on playing location. ISU and Cinci really jump out this year as sub 4 seeds that got great potential playing sites.

I've complained a ton over the years about where we've had to play but this year we can't complain. We're 50 miles closer to Tulsa than Houston.

I still think the committee is basically saying "yes ISU, you should be a 5 seed, but we'll give you the midwest and Tulsa for the first round"

I'll take that over a better seed.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I still think the committee is basically saying "yes ISU, you should be a 5 seed, but we'll give you the midwest and Tulsa for the first round"

I'll take that over a better seed.

This year with some of the 1 seeds being so good I wanted a 6 unless we could get a 3.

Compare our chances against Kentucky in KC to against Duke anywhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Nihawk and mj4cy

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Our chances of beating Kentucky are probably 25% and UNC is under 10%. I think we got a decent shot to get there though.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Our chances of beating Kentucky are probably 25% and UNC is under 10%. I think we got a decent shot to get there though.

i disagree. i think it's 50-50 or better we take Kentucky down if we get to them. our problems are typically with disciplined teams. if we beat Houston, i think we probably beat the Wildcats.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Here's 538's odds, which don't take The Hilton South Advantage into consideration for the last two games:

ISU over Ohio State: 67%
ISU over Houston: 45%
ISU over UK: 37%
ISU over NC: 35%

That's about as good as you could hope for as a 6 seed. Throw the location on top of that, and despite a tough region overall, I think we made out very well. Now we just have to play with the same intensity and desire that we had in winning the Big 12 tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Here's 538's odds, which don't take The Hilton South Advantage into consideration for the last two games:

Seems pretty fair. We will need the crowd to show up for Houston though! And start buying tickets for Kansas City now, if we lose early at least you can still profit most likely. And if not.....!!!

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008

I don't think they're taking The Hilton Far South Advantage into consideration either. I don't know how Houston travels, but I know how Iowa State does.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Iowa State hit a home run on Tulsa and there will be a ton of affordable tickets to be had. If it's Iowa State and Houston in the second round we will outnumber Houston fans and it won't even be close.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't think they're taking The Hilton Far South Advantage into consideration either. I don't know how Houston travels, but I know how Iowa State does.

Houston can't even fill their own arena, I don't think they will come close to out numbering us in Tulsa.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Houston can't even fill their own arena, I don't think they will come close to out numbering us in Tulsa.

FWIW they have, generally, been filling their own arena the latter half of this season.

Of course, capacity for them is like 7100.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
FWIW they have, generally, been filling their own arena the latter half of this season.

Of course, capacity for them is like 7100.

I was just watching their game against SMU couple Thursday nights ago and there were a ton of court side seats open.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Who knows. We controlled Kansas while not shooting particularly well. Imagine if we played with that intensity and shot lights out.