*** Official SELECTION SUNDAY Thread ***

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Anyone know if we win the game on Friday and since our game is late on Friday night, would the Sunday most likely also be a night game?

I'm guessing it'll be a night game on TBS on Sunday. Houston/Georgia St. vs. Iowa St./Ohio St. won't be a CBS noon game.

The format goes
noon - CBS
2:30 - CBS

Then 3 games in the evening, 3 games at night. They usually put the site that has the most or 2nd most national attention in the early spot. Tulsa has a pretty weak national viewer draw.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
These are the possible Sunday times:
11:00 (CBS)
1:30 (CBS)
4:00 (CBS)
5:00 (TNT)
6:00 (TBS)
6:30 (truTV)
7:30 (TNT)
8:30 (TBS)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I went to the first rounds in San Antonio and in Milwaukee. Both times I was hoping for an early game. And both times I didn't get it. I'd bank on Iowa State playing late.

But the Sunday game times won't be announced until after everything is finished on Friday.

I found it was about half-price to...

-- fly into Northwest Arkansas on Thursday morning
-- chill and watch games, go hiking in the Ozarks, or go to Crystal Bridges on the rest of Thursday and Saturday bridging the two games
-- rent a car and drive the <2 hours to Tulsa for live hoops
-- stay in Fayetteville instead of Tulsa
-- go back on Monday night, either working remotely or goofing off on Monday (see above, that is a pretty part of the world that can be fun for a few days more)

So I do not have to worry about Sunday anymore. :)

And yes, half-price including all of that. Flying in/out of Tulsa was ridiculous.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Probably for the best. I hate waiting but at least the whole two days aren't ruined if we somehow lose. Took Thurs/Fri off work in 2015 to watch the games, that went over well.

I've got too much stuff at work to be able to take time off, so I'm just happy I'm not gonna have to sweat about watching us.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
1:30 TTU and NKU

4:00 Buffalo and one of the PIG teams

7:20 Houston and GSU

9:50 ISU and OSU

Sounds like a fun Friday for me!

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
You can kind of throw out their losses to Northwestern, WIsconsin, and Purdue right before the tournament though as Kaleb Wesson was suspended in those games (14.4 points and almost 7 rebounds per game average).

They did pound Iowa at home, but also lost to Illinois, barely beat Penn State at home, lost on the road to Rutgers, barely beat Bucknell at home, etc. I think their best wins were against Cincinnati in the first game of the entire year, and their pounding of Iowa.

Interestingly, they barely out rebounded Illinois in their loss to them not long ago - by 2. Interestingly, we out rebounded them by 12. I'd say though that the Illinois when we played them is not nearly as good as they were lately. Still though.

In Big 10 conference games, they out rebounded their opponent in 11 of 20 matchups

I'm not sure we can outrebound most teams, including Ohio State, but if we can play with high offensive efficiency and Shayok / Mick / Wiggs to their normal ~ average game, we should have no problem. I might be a little to much of a glass half-full worrywart, but if we can hit our shots, we'll be fine.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
The only 3 that isn't from a P6 is Houston and I'd rather play a non P6 team even if they have 25+ wins. I think they're very good but so are Purdue, LSU and TTU.

Of the 4, I was kind f looking for LSU and the potential chaos. However, I'm fine with this draw and the locations. Just gotta win.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
So i’d Imagine there’s got to be an advantage to being the late game, right? You already know who your potential next opponent is and I’m sure there’s staff (non-coaching) that can immediately start breaking down film for that team and helping create a plan, instead of you and the team just waiting around doing nothing to find out who your next opponent is.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm sure it doesn't make any difference, but I have late night NCAA nightmares dating back to the UCLA loss against Cameron Dollar and that hugely embarrassing loss as a 2 seat to the H'pton Inns.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
With the evening games for both ISU and Houston we most likely get the second Tulsa game on Sunday?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron