***Official WV postgame thread***

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
Fire Prohm

Classic insight, moron. It has been said numerous times that this recruiting class is one of the best we have ever seen. If prohm can’t coach, how did he coach us to a big 12 championship. Fred wasn’t there. It doesn’t matter who recruited the player, it matters who coached the player.

I acknowledge our team deficiencies, but anyone who wants the coach fired at this point is an absolute imbecile.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Sounds a lot like the consensus about the roster going into the season.

I think I was quite a bit more optimistic than most at the start of the season. I mean, I put a nice chunk of change on us to win it all at 200-1.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Classic insight, moron. It has been said numerous times that this recruiting class is one of the best we have ever seen. If prohm can’t coach, how did he coach us to a big 12 championship. Fred wasn’t there. It doesn’t matter who recruited the player, it matters who coached the player.

I acknowledge our team deficiencies, but anyone who wants the coach fired at this point is an absolute imbecile.

Fire Prohm

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

His recruiting has been great. His offenses have been great. He has flaws, and the end to this season has been scary, but I am willing to make sure it’s not an outlier before wanting to fire him. The offense is like what most NBA teams run. He is recruiting guys with defensive ability. I’m a fan and really hope he succeeds here.

Jill Holland

Mar 6, 2019
I heard Prohm say that when Texas Tech had their slump a few weeks ago, they went back to basics. I believe that should have happened a couple weeks ago. These guys need to play with heart and play together. (Maybe watch the movie Rudy) Don't rule these guys out yet.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
they should do that one thing where one player stands behind another player who falls back and the player catches him to build the relationships up. that would help us actually put in an offense maybe. these are the many things steve learned in rural kentucky.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I think it was stupid for Fred to take the Bulls job, but not because he left Iowa State.

I'm more referring to the people upset or pissy he left ISU to take a 5 million dollar a year promotion. Was not a genius idea to step into that organization but he came out 25 million ahead for 3 years of work as well.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Haven’t read the million post on this forum but I’m glad Jacobson did what he did. At least someone seems to care about team ball. Also the scuffle with him and tht seemed to be blown way out of proportion. Didn’t seem that bad and once again, I’m glad to see at least someone still cares about salvaging this season

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
This is the reference
And he was referencing this post that started it all, which has since been deleted.

So basically there's nothing, except a bunch of drama seeking posters, waiting to feast on their next nugget of juicy detail about college kids on a basketball team.
Screenshot_20190308-084127_Chrome.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Die4Cy

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
That "same damn thing" resulted in an 18-5 record and a #13 ranking. Who quit doing the same damn thing?

When you face really good coaches and players, especially for the 2nd time in a round robin, you have to make adjustments. I know it might be difficult to see for people who don't understand basketball and only look at stats/rankings, but this team has had problems for a long time.

The struggles were very evident before this week's losses, but Prohm hasn't done anything different in his gameplanning. In fact, his 4 years here have largely been the same thing. Year 2 he got the guys to play a bit more pressure halfcourt defense, which resulted in a number of steals and more transition points. But offensively it's the same stagnant actions. He always wants a side ballscreen but it's not effective. No counters to how it's being defended. And further he doesn't know how to defend ballscreens when opponents run them against us.

Whatever system you decide to run as a coach, you better know it inside and out and know what adjustments are needed. Steve hasn't shown that ability. Having really good players can help hide flaws. Not a bad thing to have good players, but fans can really be blinded just because tough shots are being made.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyrealist

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
We have come a long way from just letting these kids have fun and play. I remember SP saying there is no pressure on these kids. I think we have to try to find a way to have basketball be fun, even if they don't win. Might fix some internal issues.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
When you face really good coaches and players, especially for the 2nd time in a round robin, you have to make adjustments. I know it might be difficult to see for people who don't understand basketball and only look at stats/rankings, but this team has had problems for a long time.

The struggles were very evident before this week's losses, but Prohm hasn't done anything different in his gameplanning. In fact, his 4 years here have largely been the same thing. Year 2 he got the guys to play a bit more pressure halfcourt defense, which resulted in a number of steals and more transition points. But offensively it's the same stagnant actions. He always wants a side ballscreen but it's not effective. No counters to how it's being defended. And further he doesn't know how to defend ballscreens when opponents run them against us.

Whatever system you decide to run as a coach, you better know it inside and out and know what adjustments are needed. Steve hasn't shown that ability. Having really good players can help hide flaws. Not a bad thing to have good players, but fans can really be blinded just because tough shots are being made.

KenPom ranks ISU's AdjO as #10 in the nation. Scoring isn't the problem. The AdjD has gone from being in the Top 25 nationally to #62. Lately the 3-point shooting has been middling to poor.....you always look good when the shots go in.

Earlier in the season, virtually every commentator on our broadcasts remarked how unselfish this team was, and how well they worked the ball in their half court offense. But I think some of these guys are hearing "NBA" too often, and are trying to show off their prowess.

I think the flaws are in the execution, not the plan. Look, I'm not saying CSP is infallible. But I think his main problem is in reining these guys in, and getting them to buy back in to what made them so difficult to beat.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
We have come a long way from just letting these kids have fun and play. I remember SP saying there is no pressure on these kids. I think we have to try to find a way to have basketball be fun, even if they don't win. Might fix some internal issues.

Prohm was wrong, there was a ton of pressure on them. But now, there isn't.

PAClone

Oct 25, 2014
I was the one Saturday that said he needed to be gone. I’ve reiterated that tonight.

But his laughing on the bench while his team was got beat was the snark forwarded. So his immaturity is prohms fault?

I was at the game a couple rows behind the bench and can explain Lard’s laughter on the bench (and I was laughing right along with him). When Conditt fouled out, the WV students were giving him the “Left,right,left,sitdown” chant and he stood until the WV player went to the line. He faked sitting down right when WV shot to get the students to yell. Pretty funny and Lard cracked up along with a few others. I see it as 18 and 19 year old kids entertaining themselves but hopefully they’ll have reason to be serious on Saturday

• Informative
Reactions: Dingus and arobb

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I was at the game a couple rows behind the bench and can explain Lard’s laughter on the bench (and I was laughing right along with him). When Conditt fouled out, the WV students were giving him the “Left,right,left,sitdown” chant and he stood until the WV player went to the line. He faked sitting down right when WV shot to get the students to yell. Pretty funny and Lard cracked up along with a few others. I see it as 18 and 19 year old kids entertaining themselves but hopefully they’ll have reason to be serious on Saturday
Wait, so we shouldn’t jump to conclusions and crucify a kid for having a laugh that has no effect on the outcome of the game?

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
KenPom ranks ISU's AdjO as #10 in the nation. Scoring isn't the problem. The AdjD has gone from being in the Top 25 nationally to #62. Lately the 3-point shooting has been middling to poor.....you always look good when the shots go in.

Earlier in the season, virtually every commentator on our broadcasts remarked how unselfish this team was, and how well they worked the ball in their half court offense. But I think some of these guys are hearing "NBA" too often, and are trying to show off their prowess.

I think the flaws are in the execution, not the plan. Look, I'm not saying CSP is infallible. But I think his main problem is in reining these guys in, and getting them to buy back in to what made them so difficult to beat.

I understand what you are saying. I would have to go back and watch tape of early season games.

Defensively we don't do anything to make the opponent feel uncomfortable or get them out of their main sets. We still don't have consistency defending ball screens. Off the ball guys are trying to weave in and out of screens and getting caught, losing shooters.

Since conference play our offensive spacing has sucked. You have to clean up those details the minute you see them. Notice how teams have started to switch more and more against us? And overload the gaps up top? We are not countering that. Not pressuring anything inside.

Tech's scout on us today was incredible. Beard is a hell of a coach.