Hilton update...

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
If they are going to make that big of an investment in concessions they need to do something about their pricing. The trend now is to lower the prices (see Mercedes Benz Dome in Atlanta) to increase volume. I have not bought a concession in two years at an ISU event because their prices are ridiculous (e.g $5 for a bottle of water).

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Please bring back COKE!

I think the renovations look GREAT! It definitely adds more room, softens the look with the lighting, but doesn't really change the look/shape of Hilton... only enhances it!

Hell yeah!

UnluckyRegularGull-size_restricted.gif

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If they are going to make that big of an investment in concessions they need to do something about their pricing. The trend now is to lower the prices (see Mercedes Benz Dome in Atlanta) to increase volume. I have not bought a concession in two years at an ISU event because their prices are ridiculous (e.g $5 for a bottle of water).
FYI you can bring in a bottle of water.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Please don't. I love the current lines only look. So clean.
Agreed. My only change would be to move where it says "Hilton Coliseum" to the other side of the court by the scorers table so it can be seen by the TV cameras.

Also a lightly stained state of Iowa behind the I-State logo mid-court would be pretty solid, and would sure rattle some feathers in some trailer parks out east. ;)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sounds like the dome you could roll between Arrowhead and Kauffman, or just make a nice shaded area in the middle for events and rallies and the like...

schematic.design.report.jpg
IIRC that's what the NFL told them to do to land a Super Bowl?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
IIRC that's what the NFL told them to do to land a Super Bowl?

Yes, which is nonsense.

Arrowhead, Lambeau, Mile High, and etc. should be hosting Super Bowls, too.

"It will be cold!"

Boo hoo. That is the point of playoff football.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Boo hoo. That is the point of playoff football.

I'm sure you're not naive enough to realize that promotion and revenue generation from the event is likely priority 1b if the game is 1a. They don't want anything to interfere with the schedule. I'm not saying they are right, but it's likely what drives their decisions.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm sure you're not naive enough to realize that promotion and revenue generation from the event is likely priority 1b if the game is 1a. They don't want anything to interfere with the schedule. I'm not saying they are right, but it's likely what drives their decisions.

Yeah, I know.

I am just being a cranky old purist here.

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
Overall I love the idea of moving concession areas to the exterior concourse. However, don't like the look of two cement boxes being added to the North and South sides. First it would be nice if glass or another building material could be used for the exterior walls. Also it might look better if the concession build-out wrapped around the entire North/South sides.

From a concession standpoint, I wonder if they would consider a "self-help" concept for fans to purchase food. IMO it would be quicker if fans dispensed their own fountain drink or grab a sport drink/water bottle. If Casey/Kum & Go can make it work- I would think a sport facility could.
I agree. I think that the concrete box concessions blur the visual clarity of the original concrete Hilton structure we all love. It would be better to make the concession exterior more glass (spandrel type-can't see through it) . Then the concessions would NOT blend in with original concrete form of Hilton.

Last edited:

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
So how will they widen the concourse? Will Hilton be bigger or can it be done within?

I assume they are going to add a shorter (height) walkway addition around Hilton to expand the concourse, while keeping to upper looks of Hilton alone
Hilton currently has large exterior full height columns that support the upper balcony parts. Right now it basically creates a "porch" effect. Looks like they proposing to enclose the porch with glass....thereby allowing areas that are currently outside to be used inside as a additional, widened concourse space.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How awesome would it be to have suites in place of the walkways like UNC has a the Dean Dome or Xavier!!!

page%2036%20interior%20bowl%20view.JPG

mfcintascenter*1200xx1200-675-0-63.jpg

It would also keep the losers who get up at the final TV timeout out of the hall and back into their seats
Exactly what I would do.
Plus there still could be a 5-6' ring for the upper balcony.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How awesome would it be to have suites in place of the walkways like UNC has a the Dean Dome or Xavier!!!

page%2036%20interior%20bowl%20view.JPG

mfcintascenter*1200xx1200-675-0-63.jpg

It would also keep the losers who get up at the final TV timeout out of the hall and back into their seats
And moving the concession stands helps to clear out some of the needed suite space that is behind the suite seating. I really think that while not in this stage of the plan it is looked at as the end game.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Hilton currently has large exterior full height columns that support the upper balcony parts. Right now it basically creates a "porch" effect. Looks like they proposing to enclose the porch with glass....thereby allowing areas that are currently outside to be used inside as a additional, widened concourse space.
3932215081_484f50e088_b.jpg

Thanks. Never really paid attention to where the columns were.

• Informative
Reactions: capitalcityguy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron