Pat Forde on Kansas' hoops recruiting (FBI-related)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Welp, there you go. Your vision is 100% different than mine. Because UNC did that, so we should give it up rather than fix it? You're far too easy. Good thing you're not female.

What university is going to allow a body like the NCAA to fix anything? There's no fixing this. There's no incentive.

What did UNC do when caught red handed? Did they capitulate? Did they admit any fault? Nope. They fought it. Your idea of "fixing it" isn't realistic. There's too much money involved for the powers that be to do anything more than pay lip service to fixing the system. What they really want is to pull the blanket back up, because the underbelly has been exposed.

I'm too easy? Please. Open your eyes, child. How could you be so naive to think that the parties involved would ever be willing to "fix" this system?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
This mindset is why there's never a fix. Okay, we'll just let them take money. This absolutely destroys the collegiate model and we have a semi-pro setup. If that's your game, fine. At least you own it. But it will destroy the game as we know it today. Michael Beasley crusin' in a Mercedes around campus doesn't do much for faculty, fan, or student identification. Don't bother with classes either, that's the logical next step.

One way to get the shoe companies out is to negotiate shoe contracts at the NCAA level, like the NFL and NBA. That would take a lot of pressure off the obvious need to cheat and send players to particular schools. It's the vulture programs that are causing this to happen - Auburn, Duke, Ku, Kentucky, and the like. Claiming to be collegiate programs when they're actually financial enterprises benefiting mostly coaches and administrators.
Yes, let;'s put the NCAA in charge of the shoe company contract. What could go wrong putting the two most corrupt entities in the sports together?!?

Reactions: isutrevman

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Bill will leave for the league before pegging "If that's what it takes ..." Kurtis Townsend.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/...ruption-trial-begin-closing-/?mens_basketball

Townsend_Kurtis_08262014.JPG

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The university said in a statement that Phelps' suspension is "not related to the federal criminal proceedings in New York or the NCAA's review of the facts underlying the allegations of unlawful conduct."

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I just threw up in my mouth. This phony victim spiel is nauseating. I think the odds are high that most if not all of the KU one-and-done types over the last several years were paid by Adidas with Self's knowledge -- McLemore, Wiggins, Embid, Oubre, Jackson, Alexander, Bragg, Preston, Diallo, Azuibuike, DeSousa. And I don't think RandomTuco would disagree. He would say that if it is true then.... a) Kansas should be punished, b) he laments the fact that the Nike schools -- Duke, Kentucky, NC -- are better at it, and c) Kansas would still be an elite program. All true statements. But this victim-hood has to stop.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...s-seeks-1-million-restitution-corruption-case

Good grief....

"The damage done by Mr. Gatto's and his co-conspirators' greed cannot be overstated," Sullivan wrote. "Their actions have impaired the University of Kansas' ability to continue to fully use those resources for both the benefit and welfare of its student-athletes, as well as for its ongoing mission of educational and community development and enrichment."

Louisville deputy counsel Amy Shoemaker wrote that the university "suffered the impact of a demoralized alumni, a defeated fanbase, and a rapid decline in ticket sales, sponsorships, donations, and revenue."

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I just threw up in my mouth. This phony victim spiel is nauseating. I think the odds are high that most if not all of the KU one-and-done types over the last several years were paid by Adidas with Self's knowledge -- McLemore, Wiggins, Embid, Oubre, Jackson, Alexander, Bragg, Preston, Diallo, Azuibuike, DeSousa. And I don't think RandomTuco would disagree. He would say that if it is true then.... a) Kansas should be punished, b) he laments the fact that the Nike schools -- Duke, Kentucky, NC -- are better at it, and c) Kansas would still be an elite program. All true statements. But this victim-hood has to stop.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...s-seeks-1-million-restitution-corruption-case

Good grief....

"The damage done by Mr. Gatto's and his co-conspirators' greed cannot be overstated," Sullivan wrote. "Their actions have impaired the University of Kansas' ability to continue to fully use those resources for both the benefit and welfare of its student-athletes, as well as for its ongoing mission of educational and community development and enrichment."

Louisville deputy counsel Amy Shoemaker wrote that the university "suffered the impact of a demoralized alumni, a defeated fanbase, and a rapid decline in ticket sales, sponsorships, donations, and revenue."

What is a victim-hood?
FYI the University was found to be a victim of a federal crime. They are now at the punishment phase of the trial and restitution can be part of that especially in a fraud case. That is all this is.
Further, let's just assume for a second that a coach was involved and knew everything. That doesn't mean that the University itself wasn't defrauded. That just means that an employee of the university was in on the fraud.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
KU must be figuring that Gatto has no more damaging evidence against the university to contribute. Otherwise, going after someone facing jail time with little to lose seems brash.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
What is a victim-hood?
FYI the University was found to be a victim of a federal crime. They are now at the punishment phase of the trial and restitution can be part of that especially in a fraud case. That is all this is.
Further, let's just assume for a second that a coach was involved and knew everything. That doesn't mean that the University itself wasn't defrauded. That just means that an employee of the university was in on the fraud.

So the University can have their Cake and eat it too. Poor, poor, people. Feel really bad for them.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
What is a victim-hood?

I meant RandomTucoHalin. Please. You think the university should have a case for restitution when the FBI uncovers texts where its highest profile employee is orchestrating the transactions with the Adidas guy?....."We good?"

I think pressing for this phony restitution opens up a big can of worms because the best defense for Adidas, Gato, Gassnola, et al is to tell everything -- when they communicated with Self and his assistants, what was said, dollar amounts, etc. Gato and Gassnola will have a tough time finding good work after serving their prison sentences so their best financial recourse is to write a tell-all book. Or get paid by KU or Self not to, which would not surprise me at all if that happened.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I meant RandomTucoHalin. Please. You think the university should have a case for restitution when the FBI uncovers texts where its highest profile employee is orchestrating the transactions with the Adidas guy?....."We good?"

I think pressing for this phony restitution opens up a big can of worms because the best defense for Adidas, Gato, Gassnola, et al is to tell everything -- when they communicated with Self and his assistants, what was said, dollar amounts, etc. Gato and Gassnola will have a tough time finding good work after serving their prison sentences so their best financial recourse is to write a tell-all book. Or get paid by KU or Self not to, which would not surprise me at all if that happened.
This. Self and his coaches are agents of the university. As such what they do in their official capacity are actions of the university.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Restitution is part of the criminal punishment stage. They have a legal right to restitution and would stupid not to pursue it. The case for restitution has already been made and they won. Gatto was found guilty in federal court of defrauding the university. Maybe you aren't understanding that this isn't a separate thing this is just the final part of the case. In addition, if Gatto had anything to save his ass he would have already tried it.

Reactions: randomfan44

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No, they are not agents.

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/agent

agent
n. a person who is authorized to act for another (the agent's principal) through employment, by contract or apparent authority.The importance is that the agent can bind the principal by contract or create liability if he/she causes injury while in the scopeof the agency. Who is in agent and what is his/her authority or often difficult and crucial factual issues.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron