Will Prohm ever win a championship?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I don’t think prohm is a bad coach but you have to agree this team and even some of previous years has completely underachieved. They played to their potential 4 times at most this season. That is just so sad to watch consistently.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's also a lack of fundamentals. Other teams are feasting on offensive rebounds because we don't know how to box out. That's basic stuff that the coaching staff needs to address. Work on that and we are at least +3 in the win column.
Holy fing ****, every kid playing basketball in the third grade knows how to box out. There's nothing to teach at this level, except sitting an entitled players ass on the bench when they turn around and look at the rim on a shot and don't bother to box out. Just think how this board of idiotic crybabies will act when we have our best players riding the pine.
We will see if Prohm is the guy, but somehow losing close games to NCAA tourney teams is inexcusable, and he isn't getting the job done because the roster that he assembled is too talented to only achieve what will likely be one of the 10 best seasons in ISU basketball in the past 75 years. My God, we have a 200 something ranked true freshman playing like 35 minutes and people are acting like Prohm was handed a roster of McDs AAs.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
I didn't read all of this, but I assume people are arguing for Fred. He's not coming back. Ever.

If we go to the sweet 16 no one will remember this. Have a beer.

Crazy to think but theres more call for LE. CyFan has really turned a corner today

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Oh let's see. Spitballing here...

• He's taken us to a Sweet Sixteen
  • He's won a Big 12 Tourney title
  • He's won four league road games this year with two to play
    • This hasn't been done in close to 20 years by the way
  • He's finished with 12 league wins which ties the most Hoiberg had
  • His record on the road against ranked teams is impressive as hell
But other than those stupid reasons why do you think Prohm might be an OK coach? This team underachieved just like the loaded roster Fred handed him. I mean Prohms first two years he had an NBA backup and if things work out maybe not one but possibly TWO guys that have a shot at being low minute journeyman. How did he squander SUCH TALENT? We all know that talent carries terrible coaches. Just look at the deep runs by generational talent Ben Simmons and first overall pick Markelle Fultz. But we have guys that have been mentioned in mock drafts. SQUANDERED!!!

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
No, what’s dumb is we played a half of basketball today, and let one get away. And apparently people seem to think Iowa state has been a whole lot better historically than we have been.

I guess the good thing is that all of the “fans” have openly outed themselves, finally.

Now, we need to fire a coach because he is only making the ncaa Tournament.

That is far dumber than eatemup mocking them.

It really is amazing the amount of fans that seem to have some reality of Iowa State basketball being some elite program that is flat out inaccurate.

We haven't won a conference title since 2001, and the most league wins in any season since then is 12. Ten of those seasons we finished under .500 in the league and nine of those seasons were 6 or fewer wins.

Recent history is better, but 2015 we finished regular season 5-5. 2014 we lost 2 of our final 3. 2013 lost 2 of final 4.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
But other than those stupid reasons why do you think Prohm might be an OK coach? This team underachieved just like the loaded roster Fred handed him. I mean Prohms first two years he had an NBA backup and if things work out maybe not one but possibly TWO guys that have a shot at being low minute journeyman. How did he squander SUCH TALENT? We all know that talent carries terrible coaches. Just look at the deep runs by generational talent Ben Simmons and first overall pick Markelle Fultz. But we have guys that have been mentioned in mock drafts. SQUANDERED!!!

Jesus ******* christ honey. It's a ******* game. You need to quit trying to relive your high school glory days. Life's too short to be this pissed off about a team that is exceeding preseason expectations. Grow the F U C K up you nightmare. EDIT: unless you're joking.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It really is amazing the amount of fans that seem to have some reality of Iowa State basketball being some elite program that is flat out inaccurate.

We haven't won a conference title since 2001, and the most league wins in any season since then is 12. Ten of those seasons we finished under .500 in the league and nine of those seasons were 6 or fewer wins.

Recent history is better, but 2015 we finished regular season 5-5. 2014 we lost 2 of our final 3. 2013 lost 2 of final 4.
I doubt your last paragraph is true. I was told in this thread that those teams had all come together and were absolutely peaking by this time.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Jesus ******* christ honey. It's a ******* game. You need to quit trying to relive your high school glory days. Life's too short to be this pissed off about a team that is exceeding preseason expectations. Grow the F U C K up you nightmare.
Think you missed a jimlad!

Clonebydesign

Jul 21, 2009
Ames
Facts—>Today sucked, I’m sad about it and I have to clear snow in the morning. Good thing is we have more games to play this season and enjoy (able to say that a few hours later) bad thing is I have nowhere to put more snow.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Facts—>Today sucked, I’m sad about it and I have to clear snow in the morning. Good thing is we have more games to play this season and enjoy (able to say that a few hours later) bad thing is I have nowhere to put more snow.
Yep, enjoy it. Overall the season has been exciting, and the big question coming into he season is if ISU can rebuild and get back to the dance and that's gonna happen. OH YEAH!

Probably fewer than 10 games to watch seniors Shayok, Weiler-Babb and Talley in the cardinal and gold.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
He already won a Big 12 championship.... so no...

Please, state the year that Prohm won a Big 12 championship.

Keep in mind that a "Big 12 championship" (winning the conference season) is totally different than winning the Big 12 Tournament. If that were not the case, then in 2000-2001, we did NOT win the Big 12 championship.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and ISUKyro

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I agree Steve Prohm will never win a regular season conference title...this guy is not Bruce Webber or even Jaimie Dixon ....not to mention Scott Drew. It will take a whole lot better coach than prohm to win a championship with the coaches now in the big 12.....Im afraid the top 5 is the best we will do under prohm......and remember Go Cyclones

• Agree
Reactions: UnCytely

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Holy fing ****, every kid playing basketball in the third grade knows how to box out. There's nothing to teach at this level, except sitting an entitled players ass on the bench when they turn around and look at the rim on a shot and don't bother to box out. Just think how this board of idiotic crybabies will act when we have our best players riding the pine.
We will see if Prohm is the guy, but somehow losing close games to NCAA tourney teams is inexcusable, and he isn't getting the job done because the roster that he assembled is too talented to only achieve what will likely be one of the 10 best seasons in ISU basketball in the past 75 years. My God, we have a 200 something ranked true freshman playing like 35 minutes and people are acting like Prohm was handed a roster of McDs AAs.

This is what happens when folks, acting in bad faith, come here with agendas. They get the simpletons to follow along, because they are loud with their anger.

Reality is this was a brand new team. There are transfers, and three holdovers from a last place team a year ago, so they think they’re clever with downplaying the experience angle. But the transfers have never had the roles they’ve played this year, so it’s just as new to them. The holdovers have had to redefine their roles on the new roster. Then we have two freshmen playing a lot of minutes, with one post getting spot minutes.

To be 19-8, this group has been overachieving. But they’re not hard to play against. That’s the roster construction. So you can blame prohm for that. But we can be easy to defend, when you clog the middle, and are physical. We can be easy to score on when you spread us out, and run screen and rolls because our guards have a hard time staying in front of people, and lard plays bad position defense, and Jacobson’s not athletic enough.

The good news is, the people that have the agendas are have shown to have pretty low basketball iq’s, so at least you know you’re on the right side of this.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
He's probably going to be our Tom Davis. 20-10 and just a shade above .500 every year in the conference. Some can handle it, and some can't.

You done nailed it deadeyededric....the 2nd coming of Tom Davis.....Well looking on the bright side thats still better than Ken Trickey ...Lynn Nance and Greg McDermott.....Im looking forward to the ncaa tourney every year winning a first round game and then coming back home......