Hilton renovations going before the BoR next week

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Always find it funny that we have to ask The Board of Shysters if we can spend our own money on our own improvements.

It's probably not a bad idea to get projects approved. Some athletic departments seem to start drowning in debt.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Always find it funny that we have to ask The Board of Shysters if we can spend our own money on our own improvements.

Not saying you have to love them, but need to pump the breaks on the "our money" unless Iowa State became a private university when I wasn't paying attention. Private funds provided to the athletic department aside, we don't exist as an institution without the state of Iowa.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Our athletic budget our money our private donors our money is they way I was looking at it-

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not saying you have to love them, but need to pump the breaks on the "our money" unless Iowa State became a private university when I wasn't paying attention. Private funds provided to the athletic department aside, we don't exist as an institution without the state of Iowa.

Then maybe the state should try kicking in more than 30% of expenses instead of continual budget cuts.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jerms

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
~40% of recent of college graduates work jobs not requiring their degrees

~30% of total college graduates (of all ages) work jobs not requiring their degrees

https://www.newyorkfed.org/research...llege-labor-market_underemployment_rates.html

When there is excess supply, you should produce less of a thing/raise its price.

Ah yes, these misleading stats again. Nevermind that 'not requiring their degrees' often are people who still gained additional opportunities due to having a degree, if not their specific degree major. One of the great things about a well-rounded education and why a college degree is more than just the courses in your major.

College education now is what high school education was once. And it will be needed more and more as time goes on

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Bring in some nostalgia, like have a place for the Jerry Kloster Fan Club in the North balcony. For the youngsters, this is a reference to games played in the old Armory in the mid 60s.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Ah yes, these misleading stats again. Nevermind that 'not requiring their degrees' often are people who still gained additional opportunities due to having a degree, if not their specific degree major.

College education now is what high school education was once. And it will be needed more and more as time goes on

What is misleading about them? The market is oversupplied. When supply is roughly double demand, you should back off production, not try to ramp it up.

We seemed to agree that building out US-20 with four-lanes was creating useless capacity at huge expense, no? Those extra lanes are useless supply. We both believe that using public funds to create something of marginal productivity is a bad idea.

We have a different context here, but the idea is the same.

College can (and often does) pay off very handsomely for individuals. It certainly did for me. My master's got me a good first job and I have been riding it ever since. Plenty of individuals will benefit from the extra lanes on 20, but that does not mean a net social benefit.

Your "opportunities" are zero-sum, however. If Jane goes to college and gets a job that would have went to Mary otherwise, then Jane's benefit comes at Mary's expense, Jane used up a lot of time and effort, and the public fisc paid the bill for no net gains.

If I want to roll the dice to get ahead, that is my business, but subsidizing opportunities for some at the expense of others is a waste of public funds.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Hogs are dirty, gotta go with something that is worth more and a heavier sacrifice. Gotta do a horse or cattle.

If its not hot out, pigs are cleaner than cattle. But I'd much rather have a steak.

Hoping that the mechanical updates help provide a better environment in Hilton. Hopefully that god awful ceiling gets redone (the hilton attic).

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What is misleading about them? The market is oversupplied. When supply is roughly double demand, you should back off production, not try to ramp it up.

Theyre misleading because they dont include a lot of factors including people working at jobs that want degrees but not necessarily their specific major and also don't factor in the fact that a well-rounded education prepares one much more for changes in the workforce (as opposed to being pidgeonholed into say a coal job that leaves you ****** if that disappears)

If I want to roll the dice to get ahead, that is my business, but subsidizing opportunities for some at the expense of others is a waste of public funds.

Yeah, i guess we should just cancel high school education too then. I mean, if you want to go beyond 8th grade for your own benefit, you should pay for it. Seems crazy now, but there was a time plenty of people weren't going to high school too.

An educated society is a better society. Period.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Concessions definitely could use and upgrade. We're spoiled with all the new option at Jack Trice now but it's sad that all you basically have to choose from for a quick supper for a 6pm game is an over-priced hot dog, nachos, or walking taco as everything else offered is basically snack food. Like someone else said, just adding something like a chicken fingers basket couldn't be too hard to do. I'd even go for some pizza or pre-made hot or cold sandwich options too. Just something that is somewhat filling when you rushed to Ames straight from work and are hungry.

The 2 main entrances are long overdue for some improvements too. I seem to recall there was a long term plan many years ago that included the possibility of adding some suites and premium seating on the north side and am surprised that hasn't been brought back to the table by now. I don't think Hilton needs a major overhaul but sounds like this proposal is a step in the right direction to make some much needed updates and changes.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Concessions definitely could use and upgrade. We're spoiled with all the new option at Jack Trice now but it's sad that all you basically have to choose from for a quick supper for a 6pm game is an over-priced hot dog, nachos, or walking taco as everything else offered is basically snack food. Like someone else said, just adding something like a chicken fingers basket couldn't be too hard to do. I'd even go for some pizza or pre-made hot or cold sandwich options too. Just something that is somewhat filling when you rushed to Ames straight from work and are hungry.

The 2 main entrances are long overdue for some improvements too. I seem to recall there was a long term plan many years ago that included the possibility of adding some suites and premium seating on the north side and am surprised that hasn't been brought back to the table by now. I don't think Hilton needs a major overhaul but sounds like this proposal is a step in the right direction to make some much needed updates and changes.

Im glad the suites thing died. That would be bad for hilton atmosphere.

I do think they're going to need to find more premium space somehow though, whether that be by expanding johnnys, which is absolutely claustrophobic before games, or maybe they could build a second space like that somewhere else on the perimeter of the arena to spread that out. They'd sent out something a year or so ago saying they were planning on doing a johnnys expansion before this season started, but something must have fallen through with that.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
~40% of recent of college graduates work jobs not requiring their degrees

~30% of total college graduates (of all ages) work jobs not requiring their degrees

https://www.newyorkfed.org/research...llege-labor-market_underemployment_rates.html

When there is excess supply, you should produce less of a thing/raise its price.
Assuming those stats do indicate excess supply, which isn’t necessarily true, it’s possible state funding cuts of public colleges has contributed to the oversupply. Schools looking to keep deficits static, let alone increase to modernize, may resort to economies of scale. Plus a lot of longterm infrastructure was built assuming better funding, and that only gets worse with decreasing student population. And yes, you can find fluffy papers claiming schools lose money on students.

There is a lot of bureaucratic waste on the administration side, and the arms race of needless building doesn’t help, but modernizing and research is expensive and competitive. Many schools are competing with the private side to retain expertise.

Last edited:

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Clone cone dispenser for every seat in the upper deck. ISU is and engineering school, so it should be no problem.;) Then raise prices to cover free cones.