ISU, the Big XII and the next round of realignment

vp19

Apr 15, 2018
It won't be another half-decade until the conference carousel resumes. While I think Iowa State won't wind up relegated to a second-tier league as some previously feared, it's in ISU's best interests to keep the Big XII as strong as possible, no matter what other members are lured elsewhere.

The Big Ten -- unable to draw from the ACC because of its grant of rights through 2036 -- probably will seek two new members from the Big XII. While it'd be nice to see the U of I stand up for Ames as a B1G candidate, it's not gonna happen; the likely targets? Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. The first two are the most likely to join, given the Longhorns' not being able to play well with others (and that ESPN-funded network).

Who replaces KU and OU? The candidates will probably come from the American. From most likely to least, candidates are:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Houston
Central Florida
South Florida
Connecticut
Temple
Southern Methodist
Tulane
East Carolina
Tulsa

I see only two selected, with Cincinnati a good partner for WVU and Memphis a basketball power with decent football. I don't see UT taking in a "directional" school, regardless of its football prowess (sorry, UCF and USF).

Your thoughts?.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
ayBq6Fi.gif

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I don't think you can really predict what's going to happen because we don't know hat the college football landscape or the media landscape will look like then.

The BTN model only works because the Big 10 is able to force the cable and satellite companies to make everyone buy it. If we move to an a la carte option, then fan size matters because those are the people who will be buying subscriptions. If that's the world we're in, then Iowa State to the Big 10 looks really good.

It's also possible that the P5 schools break away. If that happens, there will probably be realignment because revenue will be split differently, but that realignment could be geographic and rivalry based.

Whatever happens, we'll be fine. We have a large loyal fanbase, 3rd largest stadium in the big 12, and are an AAU university

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
OP makes a lot of bold statements that seem to have no backup.

Like the B1G will add two more teams?

That Kansas is a target of the B1G? Basketball is not the driver. It's been proven over and over again.

That Texas wouldn't be a logical choice because Longhorn Network.

Anybody can make some assumptions and throw them out there for discussion. And they have been for years. And they continue to do so.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
When are people going to come to grips with the fact that cord cutting has shifted the paradigm and the same rules no longer apply. The B1G has too many teams already. These threads are so tired and dumb.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
It won't be another half-decade until the conference carousel resumes. While I think Iowa State won't wind up relegated to a second-tier league as some previously feared, it's in ISU's best interests to keep the Big XII as strong as possible, no matter what other members are lured elsewhere.

The Big Ten -- unable to draw from the ACC because of its grant of rights through 2036 -- probably will seek two new members from the Big XII. While it'd be nice to see the U of I stand up for Ames as a B1G candidate, it's not gonna happen; the likely targets? Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. The first two are the most likely to join, given the Longhorns' not being able to play well with others (and that ESPN-funded network).

Who replaces KU and OU? The candidates will probably come from the American. From most likely to least, candidates are:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Houston
Central Florida
South Florida
Connecticut
Temple
Southern Methodist
Tulane
East Carolina
Tulsa

I see only two selected, with Cincinnati a good partner for WVU and Memphis a basketball power with decent football. I don't see UT taking in a "directional" school, regardless of its football prowess (sorry, UCF and USF).

Your thoughts?.

Hmmm, created an account and waited a year and this is your first post?

Me thinketh --

troll.png

Help Support Us

Become a patron