Monday OT: Which president are you?

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
My match is Harry S. Truman. The similarities are probably that he grew up in the Midwest and liked whiskey.

I’m least similar to Richard Nixon, so I’ll take that as a compliment.

• Friendly
Reactions: algonacy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Post it! I'm curious...

Richard Nixon grew up in near poverty in rural California, laboring in a strict household. He disliked social occasions and could often be quite awkward, even in small groups. Nor did he go out of his way to please people. He was shrewd rather than bookish. He was a fantastic poker player and political strategist. Yet he was also prone to distrust and outright paranoia. It was unusual for him to forgive or overlook those who had slighted him in some way. His presidency is obviously noteworthy for the Watergate scandal it produced. He wrote extensively on foreign policy in his later life.

To be fair, if my middle name was Milhouse, I'd probably hate people too.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Richard Nixon grew up in near poverty in rural California, laboring in a strict household. He disliked social occasions and could often be quite awkward, even in small groups. Nor did he go out of his way to please people. He was shrewd rather than bookish. He was a fantastic poker player and political strategist. Yet he was also prone to distrust and outright paranoia. It was unusual for him to forgive or overlook those who had slighted him in some way. His presidency is obviously noteworthy for the Watergate scandal it produced. He wrote extensively on foreign policy in his later life.

To be fair, if my middle name was Milhouse, I'd probably hate people too.
Sounds pretty much like my memories of him. Pat saved him on the social front - she was very gracious.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
McKinley

Similar to:
Truman
Jefferson
Nixon

William McKinley was born to an Ohio family of modest means. He was almost universally liked as a person, even by his political opponents. He was an agreeable man who always enjoyed a good story. He was free of emotional and psychological issues. He straddled the middle ground between expressiveness and reserve, between rashness and intellectualism. He was moderate in many ways but could seem to lack the aggressive instinct that marks true greatness. When McKinley was shot by his assassin, he pleaded for leniency from the enraged crowd, possibly preventing a vigilante incident.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think that's the first occurrence of Monroe in the thread. If I didn't miss another one somewhere.

I also got James Monroe. I know very little about him.

My other two best comparisons were Obama and Jefferson.

My least comparison was Andrew Jackson.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
William Henry Harrison was born to a prosperous family in Virginia, later moving to Ohio. He was assertive and organized, gaining fame as a successful General. He was agreeable and got along well with most people. His campaign presented him as a humble frontier man who lived in a log cabin and drank hard cider. This was a complete fabrication. Harrison was actually fairly refined and urbane for his time, and he lived in a luxurious house he had built (albeit next to a log cabin he formerly lived in). He also stuck to "sweet cider", the non-alcoholic kind, in the years after his son succumbed to alcoholism.

Similar to: Zachary Taylor and Chester A. Arthur
Least similar to: Lyndon B. Johnson

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Match:
Dwight Eisenhower
spent most of his childhood in Kansas, living in comfortable but modest circumstances. Having spent most of his life in the military, he was regimented, organized, and hard-working. He possessed great capacity for strategic thought when it came to matters of the military and world politics. He was fairly outgoing and got along with most people. Yet he wasn't blind to the faults of others. He was well-adjusted mentally, to the point that some people found him boring. Independent of his time as President, his leadership in World War II makes him one of the great heroes of the United States and western Europe.

President from 1953-1961

Similar to:
Grover Cleveland
Gerald Ford

Least Similar to:
Richard Nixon

I'll take that. Eisenhower was a great man.