Marty Tirrell arrested on fraud charges

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Uh oh. One of the eight people listed in the court document has the same initials as me. Did Marty rip me off without me even knowing it?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Probably nothing. But they should realize there’s a double standard. I don’t especially appreciate when Tommy’s the morality police on various athletes.

This gets so tiresome.

Again...this theme from some that if you haven't been anointed some-type of saint, you are disqualified from ever having a take on anyone else's issues in the future.

Could it be possible that individuals that have screwed up at one point (Or maybe many?) in life have some valuable prospective because they themselves messed up?

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This gets so tiresome.

Again...this theme from some that if you haven't been anointed some-type of saint, you are disqualified from ever having a take on anyone else's issues in the future.

Could it be possible that individuals that have screwed up at one point (Or maybe many?) in life have some valuable prospective because they themselves messed up?

Ya Marty definitely deserves a 10th chance his perspective will be so great and refreshing next time around.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You didn't see I was commenting on Birch?? There are nuances to hearty debates...but you have to recognize them.

I saw it and the point remains. If Birch is deemed qualified to be the public voice of the morality police by KxNo, DSM Rag, and used as a source for WHO tv/radio, KCCI, etc.on 18-22 year olds and their mistakes because he banged hookers and got busted then Marty’s millions of dollars of swindling could really do some good at say...an investment seminar or a financial literacy conference right?

Reactions: ISU4ME

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I don't get the obsession with wanting extended coverage on local media. The people they cover are what I'm interested in, not the media member themselves. I think its important for outlets to acknowledge when a media member has done something illegal, but I don't need opinion pieces written on it. Massive scandals like Marty fall in a different category.

I also don't really see Birch acting like the morality police, especially in his position as the beat writer and not the columnist (Randy). Maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard him speculate on how long Iowa State will suspend an athlete but never call for a suspension.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
And also to be fair, its something Travis Justice would make fun of.
Very fair point.

I said it earlier, but it is just a unique profession as like any professions there are likely friendships, inside info shared, etc. And those folks also then get to talk about it over the air as they seem fit or not fit.

I also think Justice is a tool and that's his thing on the air....what he wouldn't mention about Birch he wouldnt let drop if it were a student athlete, local celebrity, etc.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Also, unrelated, but I think talk radio always has a unique feel....its about the personalities. When CW starts talking about his satellite TVs, it sounds like he's just talking about his home set up, but we know that's a paid spot....but talk radio always seems to be less like a commercial, more like a comment.

And think of CW, sometimes he's KXNO CW, sometimes Leerfield CW, sometimes CF CW, etc....if that makes sense (along with other folks who have multiple roles)....so for the public we don't know which voice we are getting :)

• Winner
Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Also, unrelated, but I think talk radio always has a unique feel....its about the personalities. When CW starts talking about his satellite TVs, it sounds like he's just talking about his home set up, but we know that's a paid spot....but talk radio always seems to be less like a commercial, more like a comment.

And think of CW, sometimes he's KXNO CW, sometimes Leerfield CW, sometimes CF CW, etc....if that makes sense (along with other folks who have multiple roles)....so for the public we don't know which voice we are getting :)

It's a tightrope I walk, lol.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and CapnCy

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I don't get the obsession with wanting extended coverage on local media. The people they cover are what I'm interested in, not the media member themselves. I think its important for outlets to acknowledge when a media member has done something illegal, but I don't need opinion pieces written on it. Massive scandals like Marty fall in a different category.

I also don't really see Birch acting like the morality police, especially in his position as the beat writer and not the columnist (Randy). Maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard him speculate on how long Iowa State will suspend an athlete but never call for a suspension.

Thank you. I didn't know that all of us hacks were that interesting.

One thing I have learned over the years is that the public generally cares much less about the media than the media cares about itself. The Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30 was a great example. Media went crazy about it and it absolutely flopped in the ratings because the public didn't care. We are a very self-absorbed profession. Mostly, the public just wants to be entertained.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
I must confess that I enjoyed the M&M show. I like Ken and thought his takes were more open minded than homerish! Let's be honest here - Clone fans have a thin skin and the bashing of our alma mater / favorite college team hurts. So - I can admit the jabs stung and were true in some sense. However, the denial about MT's felonious nature is a lie. Listening to him in certain settings ( some private ) was like hanging with a snake oil salesman. Con man from way back. So - my respect for and belief in their integrity and honesty of all local media ( radio, tv, print and web) has taken a drastic and probably overdue adjustment. The defense of not wanting to give attention to a narcissist is well and good until said narcissist hurts real people is lame. Did the media have a duty to out this shyster? Maybe not - but to continue providing avenues for his spiel is a moral crime. Bash me if you want - but it is still true. Live with your self righteous moral turpitude but don't defend it - we can see it for what it is!

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007

One thing I have learned over the years is that the public generally cares much less about the media than the media cares about itself. The Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30 was a great example. Media went crazy about it and it absolutely flopped in the ratings because the public didn't care. We are a very self-absorbed profession. Mostly, the public just wants to be entertained.

The most intelligent things I have heard you say. I agree you all are not that interesting and it may just be me but I stop reading articles and listening to the radio when locals start writing or talking about themselves. I do not care about your personal lives just the same as you do not care about mine. I just want to hear about local/national sports that are relative to a sports website or radio show.

Reactions: joker

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

Do you follow backaftathis on twitter? Francesa has lost it and it’s great entertainment.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Living out of state with a very long commute I listen to a ton of sirius xm radio, it's Big 12 radio guys or NBA radio guys almost every night (lately whatever game Monte/Nader/Burton/Georges could be in). I also listen/podcast Fanatics. I heard your voice on some WBB highlights a few days ago and didn't even recognize it was you until the clip was almost over. I probably am 10:1 radio to TV.

I wonder if you've ever listened to how you sound now on those games vs years ago? On Sirius they have that channel that plays Howard Stern classics and his voice and delivery in the early 90s doesn't even sound like the same person from the past 10 years, it's night and day how much he polished his voice over the years.

The KU radio guy kills me the most...but I almost like it. His voice is like an SNL skit doing a play by play guy.

I never really cared for Marty's antagonistic schtick, but I actually liked Jon Miller's troll game on KXNO back when he was on. When he trolled it was always with a wink and it actually made me laugh.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
The most intelligent things I have heard you say. I agree you all are not that interesting and it may just be me but I stop reading articles and listening to the radio when locals start writing or talking about themselves. I do not care about your personal lives just the same as you do not care about mine. I just want to hear about local/national sports that are relative to a sports website or radio show.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I think there's a major generational gap in this type of stuff based off of my experienced. My hunch is that the older generation prefers the "stick to sports" stuff while for many younger viewers it is more personality driven. Hence why the podcast genre has become so popular. Like you're listening in on friends having beers as opposed to cut and dry radio.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I wonder if you've ever listened to how you sound now on those games vs years ago? On Sirius they have that channel that plays Howard Stern classics and his voice and delivery in the early 90s doesn't even sound like the same person from the past 10 years, it's night and day how much he polished his voice over the years.

I'll listen to games back often because it's the best way to get better - to beat yourself up. That's what I do at least. Haven't listened to the ones from 10 years ago though ... perhaps it'd be fun to try. I'm sure I was terrible though.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'll listen to games back often because it's the best way to get better - to beat yourself up. That's what I do at least. Haven't listened to the ones from 10 years ago though ... perhaps it'd be fun to try. I'm sure I was terrible though.

Geezer here, but I really enjoy the podcasts. Much like hanging out at the CF functions. Hey, maybe we can have a CF fundraiser where we listen to some of your old stuff and take turns putting a dollar in a hat in order to pause it and something funny about it! :D

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I think there's a major generational gap in this type of stuff based off of my experienced. My hunch is that the older generation prefers the "stick to sports" stuff while for many younger viewers it is more personality driven. Hence why the podcast genre has become so popular. Like you're listening in on friends having beers as opposed to cut and dry radio.
You definitely stick to sports more than the other KXNO shows. Actually breaking down games with Jess and Jake is my favorite segment.
Keith and Andy are a good mix.
Travis and Heather rarely stick to sports. Travis is just bad.