Talley Up the Win

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
When I was watching him, I was thinking we could have used him in Burton's senior year when he had to play the 5 for parts of games and we only went 6-7 players deep. He would have played a lot since he could have filled in at so many positions.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
He played great in the home game where we killed them last year.

Steve might remember that.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I've thought for the whole season that either Talley or Lewis will be needed on this team. Lewis is the better shooter but Talley gets you yet another guy who can get to the rim. It's nice to have 2 very solid wing/guard options off the bench to go along with 1.5 good post options. I think it's clear at this point that in a given game, Prohm won't be going more than 7-8 deep. Now, that 7th and 8th guy might vary from game to game as it did last night, but it's so nice to know that even if a couple perimeter guys find foul trouble or are struggling, there's guys there.

Another thing, as it relates to Lard and Talley-Those two guys have been incredibly positive and have been leading the bench mob even when they haven't been playing, or in Lard's case, when they've had tough games. Lard gets a lot of grief for "poor" body language and I don't think people have talked enough about how much positivity he's bringing on a consistent basis while he's on the bench.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Would love for a Darrel Bowie 2.0 impact from Talley

Bowie hit a bit of a rough patch in late January 2017 after he was benched and was suspended for the Kansas game but the last 10 games of the season averaged 4.9 ppg 3.1 rpg in 14.3 mpg.

Don’t know if he’d get same numbers but my hope is Talley could provide the same sort of impact on the game that Bowie gave ISU down the stretch that season.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Love seeing him bring it up the court against pressure. Having a wing that's comfortable in that role is awesome. It throws all kinds of monkey wrenches at the team trying to press. Glad to see Prohm is experimenting and changing things up.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i'd love to see talley guard mason or brown - he's so long, at least make those guys shoot over him and make it a bit tougher on them.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Talley is a press killer! He is so tall and long, able to see/pass over almost every defender that leads a press

I really wish CSP would give Talley at least 5 minutes a night to keep starters rested. Example: sub in Talley when you are close to TV timeouts to give the key guys extra time off. Roy Williams is really good at this!

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Love seeing him bring it up the court against pressure. Having a wing that's comfortable in that role is awesome. It throws all kinds of monkey wrenches at the team trying to press. Glad to see Prohm is experimenting and changing things up.

Not shocking to see Talley get meaningful minutes against WVU. You're exactly right with his ball handling against pressure. Similar to when Royce or Georges would run point. Man pressure works unless your 4s and 5s can handle the ball.

I don't see Talley's role increasing. But, it's good to have mismatch options as the B12 and NCAA tourneys approach.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Talley is a press killer! He is so tall and long, able to see/pass over almost every defender that leads a press

I really wish CSP would give Talley at least 5 minutes a night to keep starters rested. Example: sub in Talley when you are close to TV timeouts to give the key guys extra time off. Roy Williams is really good at this!

Do you think players should have to earn their minutes?

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
I've thought for the whole season that either Talley or Lewis will be needed on this team. Lewis is the better shooter but Talley gets you yet another guy who can get to the rim. It's nice to have 2 very solid wing/guard options off the bench to go along with 1.5 good post options. I think it's clear at this point that in a given game, Prohm won't be going more than 7-8 deep. Now, that 7th and 8th guy might vary from game to game as it did last night, but it's so nice to know that even if a couple perimeter guys find foul trouble or are struggling, there's guys there.

Another thing, as it relates to Lard and Talley-Those two guys have been incredibly positive and have been leading the bench mob even when they haven't been playing, or in Lard's case, when they've had tough games. Lard gets a lot of grief for "poor" body language and I don't think people have talked enough about how much positivity he's bringing on a consistent basis while he's on the bench.

I made it a point to watch this all game last night, and I couldn't agree more. This team has come together and seem to really enjoy each other. They celebrate for their teammates and seem to have bought in. To me that spells big trouble for the rest of the league moving forward.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Lots of great things to be happy about after this win, but probably none bigger than what I saw from Zoran tonight. Hasn't played a minute in most games this season which has to be tough for a senior who was honestly one of the better players on last year's team.

He had great body language and was honed in on defense the entire game. It's rare to have 6'7 guys who can handle and pass as well as he can, and I have a feeling he's going to be a real player for us the rest of the season.

Lots of respect to Zoran Talley for the way he has bought in and handled himself this season.
How does this possibly have a dislike? Really hoping it was a mis-click because Talley being productive off the bench is nothing but good for this team.

Reactions: Halincandenza

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
i'd love to see talley guard mason or brown - he's so long, at least make those guys shoot over him and make it a bit tougher on them.

THT and Shayok are pretty much just as long, if not longer (in the arms department).

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Yes, and I also believe is showing faith to a senior after a great game

The data says Talley had a great game last night (2nd highest ORTG)

Also need to give Prohm a shout. He put Talley in a spot where he would succeed.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Coach has a tough job and I do think he's still trying to figure out where he wants us to be come March.

He did do a great job of playing to a strength last night!
He's got Huggy's number and it showed last night with Huggy getting hotter than ever and tossed from the game. Exciting times when you have a coach who can out-chess-match a HOF coach.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was surprised to see Zoran enter the game so early in the game. Was he first off the bench? (Maybe Wiggy and Lard already were in and I didn't notice).

He played really well last year in a win against a much better West Virginia.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500