Bowen Born

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Are you sure that making a comparison to Clayton Custer diminishes his stock? Last year , Custer did all right for himself during a tournament with some pretty good teams.
He wouldn't be playing much for us this year, if at all.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
What are you talking about - beat Foster in the Championship game? My alma mater, Glenwood beat Osky in the 3-A championship last year.

I think he meant beat them again this season, but in the title game.

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
Mason was short but was built like a tank. Bowen is short and really thin. Its hard to judge their quickness because Born looks really quick against 3A guards. Mason looked really quick against Big XII guards. I would love to see him get a shot but I just think it is going to be at the mid-major level.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The litmus test is would we be having this discussion about his offer (lack there of) if he wasn't Mike Born's son. Answer is probably not.

With any in-state kid, my question is always - would we care if we were recruiting a kid with that profile from Colorado for example. If the answer is, we would be pissed if we were offering a kid the same profile from Colorado, we shouldn't care one iota if we don't offer that same kid from Iowa.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Bowen is a legit D1 talent and will be a very solid college player. I am not sure he fits Prohm’s positionless basketball mold though with his size. Prohm wants 1-4 to be able to guard 1-4. That would be the concern with him being 5-11. I can see him going to Creighton or Drake. He will be a stud wherever he goes.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Bowen is a legit D1 talent and will be a very solid college player. I am not sure he fits Prohm’s positionless basketball mold though with his size. Prohm wants 1-4 to be able to guard 1-4. That would be the concern with him being 5-11.
Is that why we’re after 5’10” 155 lb Jalen Terry, plus have recruited many other small guards? If he had a good summer against top competition, he’d also have an offer. That could still happen.

These small guards are a crapshoot, but then again, that’s recruiting in general. Small guards that can shoot and handle translate more to the college game now than it used to. He could be a Big 12 player imo, but we only have so many spots are still in on guys with better odds of being starter quality as freshmen.

• Funny
Reactions: MartinCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Let me know when Born gets his KU offer.
Mason didn’t get a KU offer until after his senior season of high school. He was a Towson level recruit at this point.

Mason ended up 5’11” with a 6’3” wingspan, and had the athletic ability to dunk and do backflips. Born, to my knowledge, isn’t that long or that caliber of an athlete. Then again, we have, and will continue to have, players on our roster not as good as Frank Mason.