STAFF PREDICTIONS: Iowa State at Kansas

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This is a huge game and yet it isn't.

It isn't in that it assumed to be a loss, especially based on the fact we already beat them badly and they are coming off a bad loss to WVU. Boo U faithful will be in full lather and all together is probably worth 5 or so points.

It is a huge game because if ISU wins it means a few things - 1) ISU is maturing to where they can take care of business in games where they SHOULD win. Yes, I think they SHOULD win this, all extraneous items aside. They are a better team. 2) Tagging Kansas with a 3rd conference loss including a loss at home this early in the season gives them an uphill fight for conference title and will get others like TTU, KSU smelling blood. 3) It would put ISU in control of their championship goal and they probably have the most favorable remaining schedule.

With all that going on, it is really hard to tell if it is my heart or head making the prediction. It comes down to if squad of young men have it together mentally tonight and play to their potential.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt since they are providing me with so much fun entertainment this year -

ISU 79
KU 72

Margin due to KU putting ISU at FT line where ISU hits 10 of its last 10.

If we were closer to the finish line then I'd buy into this being a huge game. But there's just such a long way to go still. A win doesn't guarantee the Cyclones anything, and a loss doesn't doom them. Same for the Jayhawks.

I just want the win because it's KU.

• Agree
Reactions: Spanky

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We are right with them on talent and we defend better. I think, barring the infamous unusual occurrences Allen Fieldhouse has become known for, our guys are better straight up.

We'll be shooting free throws at the end to ice it. And nailing them.

84-80, Kansas will be destroyed.

There are no “barring the infamous unusual occurrences” there you have to be 7-9 points better than KU just to have a chance at a 1-3 point victory.

Gotta keep KU strong.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Every time I pick Iowa state they lose. When I pick the other team they win.

Kansas 80.

Clones 69

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think this will be one of those “closer than the final score indicates” games at KU but we never get over the hump. We get it to 4 or 5 with 3 minutes left but we run out of steam and lose by 9 or 10.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Logically, it's borderline insane to be confident going into Lawrence, but for some reason I like our match up with them.

I think it's the feeling that ISU actually could have made things worse in Ames two weeks ago, and those two losses felt like ISU should have won by 10 for whatever reason.

It's not like ISU has Duke talent but it just feels like they provide themselves with a lot of opportunities in different ways for success and when it's flowing the result is really good.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This is a hard one to call, because in the first game ISU shot the 3 great, and forced a ton of TOs. That is not going to happen again, but, in general, KU has not shot the 3 well, and has had issues with turnovers. I like the Clones by a couple:

77-75