Rank the transfers

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
He had great physical tools, but I honestly think me may have had the lowest basketball IQ of any player I've seen in an iowa st uniform
I guess I do remember getting frustrated with him haha. Dude could get to the rim though and I loved that. I need to go back and watch a couple clyburn games. I think we are over rating him.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
So consensus White/Kane/Shayok as some variation of 1-3? I'll allow it.

Hard to imagine Iowa State essentially created major roles for transfers and Shayok, after only 60% of one year, is in the top three. That's how quietly dominant he has been.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyclonesWin7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2013
Iowa
I guess I do remember getting frustrated with him haha. Dude could get to the rim though and I loved that. I need to go back and watch a couple clyburn games. I think we are over rating him.
I agree. Not real high on Clyburn either. I do remember him being able to hit a lot of tough threes though.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I tend to think Clyburn is underrated among transfers. But I'm also conveniently thinking of the end-of-season Clyburn, and not full-season version. He was a bit rough prior to, say, mid-January, if I recall.

I think C-Babb is underrated, too.

• Friendly
Reactions: CyclonesWin7

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He had great physical tools, but I honestly think he may have had the lowest basketball IQ of any player I've seen in an iowa st uniform
Jordan Railey
Shawn Taggert
Reggie George
LaRon Dendy (and he could have been really good)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Which of the transfers had the best individual seasons?

1 DeAndre Kane
2 Marial Shayok
3 Michael Jacobson
4 Chris Babb
5 Jameel McKay
6 Will Clyburn
7 Nick Weiller-Babb
8 Scott Christopherson
9 Royce White
10 Bryce Dejean-Jones
11 Deonte Burton
12 Abdel Nader
13 Chris Allen
14 Korie Lucious
15 Jake Anderson
16 Zoran Talley
17 Anthony Booker
18 Darrell Bowie
19 Jeff Beverly
20 Hallice Cooke
21 Merrill Holden
22 Hans Brase
23 Ray Kasonogo

Who were the most productive transfers over the course of their careers?

1 Nick Weiller-Babb
2 Jameel McKay
3 Scott Christopherson
4 Chris Babb
5 Deonte Burton
6 DeAndre Kane
7 Marial Shayok
8 Michael Jacobson
9 Will Clyburn
10 Abdel Nader
11 Royce White
12 Bryce Dejean-Jones
13 Chris Allen
14 Korie Lucious
15 Jake Anderson
16 Anthony Booker
17 Zoran Talley
18 Darrell Bowie
19 Jeff Beverly
20 Hallice Cooke
21 Merrill Holden
22 Hans Brase
23 Ray Kasonogo

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
My top 10.

1. DeAndre Kane
2. Royce White
3. Abdel Nader
4. Deonte Burton
5. Marial Shayok
6. Jameel McKay
7. Will Clyburn
8. Nick Weiller-Babb
9. Bryce Dejean-Jones
10. Scott Christopherson

Reactions: keepngoal

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You are dumber than a box of rocks. Royce could do things Kane could only dream about.

Royce certainly made a lot of circus passes, yes.

But he also turned the ball over a lot and was a 50% free throw shooter. He was high usage, not much of a defender, and not very good on the offensive glass.

Plenty of the transfers were more individually productive (e.g., Kane and Shayok) and/or more versatile (e.g., the Babb brothers) players useful across any roster type.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Which of the transfers had the best individual seasons?

1 DeAndre Kane
2 Marial Shayok
3 Michael Jacobson
4 Chris Babb
5 Jameel McKay
6 Will Clyburn
7 Nick Weiller-Babb
8 Scott Christopherson
9 Royce White
10 Bryce Dejean-Jones
11 Deonte Burton
12 Abdel Nader
13 Chris Allen
14 Korie Lucious
15 Jake Anderson
16 Zoran Talley
17 Anthony Booker
18 Darrell Bowie
19 Jeff Beverly
20 Hallice Cooke
21 Merrill Holden
22 Hans Brase
23 Ray Kasonogo

Who were the most productive transfers over the course of their careers?

1 Nick Weiller-Babb
2 Jameel McKay
3 Scott Christopherson
4 Chris Babb
5 Deonte Burton
6 DeAndre Kane
7 Marial Shayok
8 Michael Jacobson
9 Will Clyburn
10 Abdel Nader
11 Royce White
12 Bryce Dejean-Jones
13 Chris Allen
14 Korie Lucious
15 Jake Anderson
16 Anthony Booker
17 Zoran Talley
18 Darrell Bowie
19 Jeff Beverly
20 Hallice Cooke
21 Merrill Holden
22 Hans Brase
23 Ray Kasonogo

Sensing a bit of anti-Royce feelings.

Reactions: keepngoal

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Sensing a bit of anti-Royce feelings.

I loved Royce and have fond memories of his passes bouncing off Percy Gibson's hands. Remember when we all thought Percy was going to be a really good player because Royce kept setting him up under the basket? Ah, some good memories.

He was just not an efficient player. He reminds me a lot of those Morgan teams -- a few highlights where somebody dribbled between somebody else's legs and made SportsCenter, and then a few times throwing the ball out of bounds on an in-bounds.

It was always boom or bust with him. The off-the-court stuff does not play into it.

Royce was good for a highlight, turnover, or some missed free throws (so what amounts to a turnover) and not really much in the middle, and he was not much for defense. There are at least a handful of our transfers I would prefer to have before him.

Kane
Shayok
Babb
Jacobson
McKay

...would be a heck of a team. Swap McKay for Clyburn if you want to go four-guards. Those 5-6 (and probably Nick and Scottie off the bench as a second PG and bench gunner, respectively) would be really good, especially for having a lot of two-way guys.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: titleist and ComCY

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I loved Royce and have fond memories of his passes bouncing off Percy Gibson's hands. Remember when we all thought Percy was going to be a really good player because Royce kept setting him up under the basket? Ah, some good memories.

He was just not an efficient player. He reminds me a lot of those Morgan teams -- a few highlights where somebody dribbled between somebody else's legs and made SportsCenter, and then a few times throwing the ball out of bounds on an in-bounds.

It was always boom or bust with him. The off-the-court stuff does not play into it.

Royce was good for a highlight, turnover, or some missed free throws (so what amounts to a turnover) and not really much in the middle, and he was not much for defense. There are at least a handful of our transfers I would prefer to have before him.

Kane
Shayok
Babb
Jacobson
McKay

...would be a heck of a team. Swap McKay for Clyburn if you want to go four-guards. Those 5-6 (and probably Nick and Scottie off the bench as a second PG and bench gunner, respectively) would be really good, especially for having a lot of two-way guys.

I generally think you're a very knowledgable poster and I respect your opinions. But putting Royce that low is just silly. #BeWell

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I generally think you're a very knowledgable poster and I respect your opinions. But putting Royce that low is just silly. #BeWell
Consider me on the Royce White train too. The dude lead our team in scoring, rebounding and assists if I remember correctly. We were nothing without Royce that year. The highlight reel plays and Lottery pick was just the cherry on the top..

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I agree with OP top 3. Burton would be 4 for me and MJ 5 for what he has meant to this years team as having to be our premiere post.

After I don't know some I would have higher just because I loved what they brought. Scotty C would be in my top 10 as would Jake. We were just getting started when Jake was here but loved how he would do anything and everything. He laid a foundation for the turn around this program took after he left.