• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I haven’t looked at Flo. Intermat is usually my go to.

IM has removed Gross (finally) from their 133 rankings. Micic the new #1, with Fix at #2.

Gomez is up to #7, jumping Lizak and Erneste, along with Gross.

Wilson (NC State) is #6
Pletcher is #5
Phillippi (Pitt FR; has wins against Lizak and Pletcher) is #4

I know I made a comment a little while ago about Gomez and the 133 gauntlet, saying that a mid AA might be a lofty goal.

Based on what I have seen lately, I am going to revise.

If it were me ranking, I would have Gomez above Wilson. I could be convinced to put him above Pletcher too, but it would be a discussion. I am not quite sure yet if the kid from Pitt is deserving of #4, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve it.

At any rate, I now feel like Gomez is in the 5-6 range, so I’m warming up to “mid-AA”.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Loaded for sure. I think Gomez is AA at 7th but wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if he is wrestling for 3rd.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
This weight is still stacked. No Gross hurts this at the top end, but the fight for AA will be brutal. RBY, Gomez, Pletcher, Wilson, Desanto, Lizak, Erneste.

I have Fix, Suriano, Phillipi, and Micic on a tier at the top.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
This weight is still stacked. No Gross hurts this at the top end, but the fight for AA will be brutal. RBY, Gomez, Pletcher, Wilson, Desanto, Lizak, Erneste.

I have Fix, Suriano, Phillipi, and Micic on a tier at the top.

Whoever comes out of this will have earned it, that’s for sure. Probably should be a Hodge favorite, but won’t be.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
They'll all beat each other at some point. You saw that DeSanto beat Suriano last night, no? (albeit perhaps with ref help) And Pletcher barely beat an unranked Michigan State wrestler last week.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Of course they were... there has never been a bad stalling call in Carver.

Maybe you didn't see it. First one Suriano had his head at AD's waist and literally was pushing him out of bounds. Second one again his head was at his waist hanging on for life. Good calls both.

Not surprising that you're blaming the refs though.

• Funny
  • Creative
Reactions: ISU22CY and CyTwins

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
If you're riding your opponent you're stalling if...?
Maybe you didn't see it. First one Suriano had his head at AD's waist and literally was pushing him out of bounds. Second one again his head was at his waist hanging on for life. Good calls both.

Don't see it called too often on the top man, much less twice.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If you're riding your opponent you're stalling if...?

Don't see it called too often on the top man, much less twice.

When the top guy is hanging below the waist not moving up, and pushing the bottom guy out of bounds, yeah it's stalling. Sorry.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011

Not that I want to agree, but I did agree. The stall calls were legit in this case.

• Agree
Reactions: VirginSturgeon

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
Not that I want to agree, but I did agree. The stall calls were legit in this case.
DeSanto is the most hated guy in all of NCAA wrestling. I talked with an avid Hawkeye Wrestling fan yesterday and stated he is a train wreck. Just states that he has improved a bunch in the room with all the training partners he has, oblivious to the point I was making that he is a royal jack ass! :rolleyes:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
DeSanto is the most hated guy in all of NCAA wrestling. I talked with an avid Hawkeye Wrestling fan yesterday and stated he is a train wreck. Just states that he has improved a bunch in the room with all the training partners he has, oblivious to the point I was making that he is a royal jack ass! :rolleyes:

Brands pulled him a side immediately after the Suriano match was over and appeared to tell him to calm his emotions. If you listen to his interview that is all he talked about. I think that was his ultimate demise with his relationship with Drexel coaches. Heck of a motor, but he has a ways to go. Could upset anyone or could be out in round of 12/16 again.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Brands pulled him a side immediately after the Suriano match was over and appeared to tell him to calm his emotions. If you listen to his interview that is all he talked about. I think that was his ultimate demise with his relationship with Drexel coaches. Heck of a motor, but he has a ways to go. Could upset anyone or could be out in round of 12/16 again.

Didn't he spit on the mat his last match before that too?