MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Cardinals trade for a big bat in Goldschmidt then sign one of the top available relief pitchers in Andrew Miller. Cubs have signed...Daniel Descalso. I really hope Theo and Jed have something big planned. The team as its currently constructed isn't going to win another title.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Cardinals trade for a big bat in Goldschmidt then sign one of the top available relief pitchers in Andrew Miller. Cubs have signed...Daniel Descalso. I really hope Theo and Jed have something big planned. The team as its currently constructed isn't going to win another title.
And Reds just made a big trade

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Actually, the current team can win it all as they are.
Someone has to be the on-base guy, but this bunch can get it done.

I wouldn't panic on the Harper front. That whole thing is in radio silence right now. I don't think anyone observing expected him to sign before January.

• Agree
Reactions: chuckd4735

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think the Dodgers trade makes it obvious they are going to sign Harper. Meanwhile Cubs have done nothing of note, kept Russell who is a black eye right now, and have what looks like a lame duck managerial staff. I hope they have some tricks up their sleeve and make a good trade before training camp or get a steal late in free agency. Hoping that once the bigger names sign then they bring in LeMahieu who might be that leadoff OBP guy they desperately need

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Have you guys looked at LaMaheiu's home/road splits? I'm not sure he'll be an upgrade over what we already have on the roster.I

This off-season has been...not great

we trade La Stella, then sign a worse player for more money to replace him all while crying poor to anyone with a microphone.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If Happ is the centerpiece that off loads Hayward and the bulk of his contract you got to do it. Basically we're swapping Happ and Hayward for Harper and Descalso. Biggest question would be backup CF. Bryant would be the day to day option. We have longer term options in the system.

Guessing they'll still be looking for a backup receiver

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Well cross off another potential target from the wish list: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25736839/dj-lemahieu-reaches-deal-new-york-yankees

Barring a trade or surprise signing probably will see a platoon of Zobrist, Happ, and Bote at 2B. 2B and OF really are the only spots they could free up an everyday role for someone but since they haven't moved Happ or Schwarber in a trade and signed Descalso who basically replaces LaStella I think they are planning to stick with the status quo and hope this current group of players just miraculously start hitting consistently.

Pretty sad offseason for the Cubs so far while the Brewers and Cardinals have gotten better I think. Really has put a damper on my expectations, Joe is pretty much a lame duck manager and I think winning the division is going to be tougher than it was last year if they don't make some kind of move(s) to fix the holes in the offense. The pitching staff doesn't concern me, if Darvish is healthy and can return to form that is a pretty stacked rotation of Lester, Hamels, Hendricks, Quintana, and Darvish and still have Monty as a 6th if any are hurt or need an extra day of rest. They'll probably sign some kind of bullpen arm before camp but it's not like they don't have some in-house options already there that were pretty decent last year.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
Have you guys looked at LaMaheiu's home/road splits? I'm not sure he'll be an upgrade over what we already have on the roster.I

This off-season has been...not great

we trade La Stella, then sign a worse player for more money to replace him all while crying poor to anyone with a microphone.
Agree 100%, never sign a Rockie based on his stats. Playing in Coors Field is not real baseball. The ball carries like crazy and a curve or slider doesn’t break.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The annoying part of this off-season isn't just that the Cubs are sitting on their hands while the rest of the division gets better. It's that they're getting worse while the rest of the division gets better.

cyLKUIF

Jun 3, 2016
Disagree with a lot of the takes in here... I understand the frustration of not making many moves, but no way have the cubs made any *bad* moves. Lets be patient. I'm fine with not spending big on a bullpen. They are volatile and you can always add a hot hand at the trade deadline. Cheap depth signings are fine for now. Monty and Morrow should be back there. Also, I can't believe people actually wanted DJL on the cubs. Good dude for sure but it seems like some sort of fascination with him because he came through the Cubs system. His road splits last year away from Coors are TERRIBLE. Look them up. I personally don't want Russell on the cubs. He sucks and it would be a distraction. I think its easier to trade him now that he has his salary for 2019 settled (cheaper than expected). The cubs were never going to extend hamels for 4 years like some suggested. That is ridiculous. I would've been fine with 2 years maybe but I have no problem with the $20 mill this year. Joe Maddon does not deserve to be fired and things are not nearly as bad as some are acting like in this thread. I'm fine with keeping schwarber and Happ. Almora can go but he has almost no trade value so its pointless because he is so cheap. Its harder to trade Heyward/Chatwood contracts than some think. Cubs would have to attach cheap MLB guys and eat money, while getting nothing in return. What would those two draw on the Free Agent market right now? Whats the difference between that figure and what the cubs owe them?
I change my mind all the time on Harper/Machado. Is it best in the long run? Can it get us over the hump? Huge questions but I'm content either way. Fans crying about only spending 230(ish) million this year on twitter are annoying. I would be pissed af if this core doesn't win another ring. But damn this fan base has gotten spoiled.

Descalso is a much more valuable player than TLS. Much better fielder, more power, and a solid veteran. He is not going to start everyday, but he will play more than TLS. After TLS got his arbitration money, they are very similar in cost. Tommy was a solid PH. If he were an everyday player he would be half the hitter. Theres a reason he hardly played the field.. he's a defensive liability.
2018 comparison:
Descalso: In 349 ABs, he hit .238/.353/.463 with 13 Hrs 57 RBI WAR: 1
TLS: In 169 ABS, he hit .266/.340/.331 with 1 HR 19 RBI WAR: .1

Ultimately for 2019 it comes down to staying healthy. A 100% healthy KB alone makes a huge difference. Javy, Zo, and Lester will probably regress a bit. Contreras, Happ, Schwarbs, Almora will probably be a bit more productive. Yu and Morrow will hopefully be a lot more productive lol. Will the Brewers stay completely healthy for a second year straight? They just played an extra month in the postseason. The cards are taking a risk with Goldy on a one year deal. Andrew Miller is a risky deal. Baseball is a very random game, and its so hard to predict. The Cubs are still the most talented team in the division and SHOULD be the hungriest after last year.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The 85 Bears looked set up to run the world as a dynasty for years, but only won it once.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the Cubs core doesn't win it again. That's fine. Broke the curse, but that just might be it.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Not getting Harper would be disappointing but understandable. Not getting a reliever is just mind boggling. They're quickly running out of FA options.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Bryce Harper will be a Cub. Things will elevate once a first official offer is on the table.

I think there is a near zero % chance Harper is a Cub - especially with most of these young guys due some big $ contracts in the coming years as I think they'd rather keep a combination of current guys vs. 1 guy in Harper.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron