Prohm needs coaching help

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Who was in Our lineup that was in there with 2-3 minutes left was bringing great energy ?

Iirc:

Halliburton
Condit
Nwb

Don’t recall other 2 but they were great

Grump

Sep 1, 2013
He will be fine. He has been clutch all of his life.
He certainly hasn't been clutch the last two games. Look at his line: 2 of 9 from the field, 1 of 4 free-throws, and a couple of turnovers thrown in. And, I think he isn't good for the chemistry. As to the topic of the thread, Prohm has good players but the results aren't there. It's coaching, lineups, and substitutions.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
He certainly hasn't been clutch the last two games. Look at his line: 2 of 9 from the field, 1 of 4 free-throws, and a couple of turnovers thrown in. And, I think he isn't good for the chemistry. As to the topic of the thread, Prohm has good players but the results aren't there. It's coaching, lineups, and substitutions.

I don’t know alt this is, but this is a really bad take. But by all means, with your acumen, you should write Jamie a letter telling him he needs to hire you and some of the other zen masters to coach this team. He will know he will need to clear room for all the banners you guys will bring. Jesus.

Seriously though,

Lindell is the most talented player on the team. He’s also the most competitive guy on the team. He’s played less than half the games so far. He’s trying to recover from an injury that prevented him from conditioning.

This hasn’t been, and still isn’t, the team that we thought Iowa state was going to have this year. It would make sense to actually let the guys who are active play together for a month before declaring the season over. But that wouldn’t fit the agenda some of you have here.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I don’t know alt this is, but this is a really bad take. But by all means, with your acumen, you should write Jamie a letter telling him he needs to hire you and some of the other zen masters to coach this team. He will know he will need to clear room for all the banners you guys will bring. Jesus.

Seriously though,

Lindell is the most talented player on the team. He’s also the most competitive guy on the team. He’s played less than half the games so far. He’s trying to recover from an injury that prevented him from conditioning.

This hasn’t been, and still isn’t, the team that we thought Iowa state was going to have this year. It would make sense to actually let the guys who are active play together for a month before declaring the season over. But that wouldn’t fit the agenda some of you have here.
the games now matter as much as the games later on do. It's unfortunate, but the reality is ISU needs to win games now that conference season is here and they don't have much time to figure things out.

I'm not in the "season's over" camp, but being in the camp "everything's fine, things will work out" isn't the right approach either. These games all add up, and seeding/getting into the NCAA is being changed better/worse after every game.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
the games now matter as much as the games later on do. It's unfortunate, but the reality is ISU needs to win games now that conference season is here and they don't have much time to figure things out.

I'm not in the "season's over" camp, but being in the camp "everything's fine, things will work out" isn't the right approach either. These games all add up, and seeding/getting into the NCAA is being changed better/worse after every game.

I’m not minimizing the losses. It was a bad week. But there’s a whole lot of context people seem to ignore in their efforts to panic.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You could tell this is what prohm saw... He even opted to put Lindell at the point late in the game to drive and kick, but our guards didn't always make the best decisions on when to try and finish and when to kick it out.
I thought the worst decision was to put Jacobson in for Conditt late. The thing I will never understand is Prohm's substitutions. It seems like he often pulls the players who are playing well and puts in a non factor instead.

It absolutely would have been nice to have Conditt to protect the rim on that last play, but it's pretty clear what he was thinking- this is a freshman, with just over 100 minutes of college basketball under his belt, in his first Big 12 action. Hindsight is 20/20, and all we know is that it couldn't have turned out worse (but that doesn't mean it would have turned out better).

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It absolutely would have been nice to have Conditt to protect the rim on that last play, but it's pretty clear what he was thinking- this is a freshman, with just over 100 minutes of college basketball under his belt, in his first Big 12 action. Hindsight is 20/20, and all we know is that it couldn't have turned out worse (but that doesn't mean it would have turned out better).

This is a good post. But the thing people seem to always forget is that, unless you’re a blue blood with your pick of talent, teams have to learn how to win games again every year.

I really dislike KState. Have since Lon Kruger’s performance in Hilton in 88. But healthy they went to the elite 8 last year and were picked top 15 preseason. They’re experienced and tough when they have their full compliment of players. We never win at Baylor, even with the best teams Fred had. It’s a fact of life.

With adding guys back in, we are still a work in progress. These were tough losses, ones that this team will regret at the end of the year. But there are 14 regular season games left, and the big 12 tournament. Let’s see where we are in 15 games.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The “giving nwb too many minutes” gameplan
#67 posts in, have we helped Steve coach yet?
Only if he is listening to us
Obviously just kidding. I still think CSP is a good coach and a good person. I do not think he made the best decisions in the last two games , and felt that way in real time, not after the fact. However, that is just a fans opinion, and he knows a jillion times more about basketball and this team than I do. As others have said, we could have gone 2-0 this week with just one different possession in each game. Problem is, close don’t count.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The only complaint i have is i would like to see him call timeouts in key situations to get people settled down and organized. Why save the timeouts all game if you aren't gonna use them? For instance yesterday with 5.2 secs left down 1. We have to get off a better shot than a double clutch halfcourt shot with a defender in our face.

I saw a tweet that Coach Prohm was waving the guys over and intending to call a time out, but we inbounded the ball before he could do so.

• Informative
Reactions: cyups2323

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
re-watched the game. I really wish they would have tried a 2-3 zone in the 2nd half to stop the penetration. If they hit a 25 footer, fine - but too many shots inside the paint. Put Condit in the middle and have Babb and and TH keep Brown from getting into the paint.

With the length of this team, Babb, TH, THT, CG - this team could be a solid zone team - mix it up to throw a team like KSU (who struggles offensively) off.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
re-watched the game. I really wish they would have tried a 2-3 zone in the 2nd half to stop the penetration. If they hit a 25 footer, fine - but too many shots inside the paint. Put Condit in the middle and have Babb and and TH keep Brown from getting into the paint.

With the length of this team, Babb, TH, THT, CG - this team could be a solid zone team - mix it up to throw a team like KSU (who struggles offensively) off.

Their first shot defense was pretty good. They gave up too many offensive rebounds and couldn't score.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
When Fred bolted for the NBA and Steve was hired, most of us wondered if he would be able to recruit Big 12 talent. He can. This years team has more talent than we can ask for. He needs to figure out which lineup will get victories. The freshmen are playing well but none should be starting. Get 5 experienced guys out there starting and give them some time to gel.
What?!?

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked