Haaland: The perfect storm

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I feel like every year we forget how much more variable basketball is than football. The difference in shooting percentage from game to game and randomness of close games makes upsets much more likely.

Not to mention the fact that there's only five players on the floor at a time for each team. Any team can realistically beat any other team if they're hot.

Reactions: k123

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Are you questioning the existence of home court advantage or more seeking why it exists in the first place?

Arena familiarity, crowd influence, human bias of officials, etc.

I'd recommend reading the book "Scorecasting". Talks about a lot of this stuff in great detail.

Thanks! No, I am not questioning it's existence - I am just interested in an explanation of why they 'perform worse' (assuming that's why they lose more) on the road Maybe it is just crowd mood! #Magic

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Right on queue, another dorky Cyclone-loser article from Cyclone Fanatic.

No one's jumping off the ledge. Folks are pissed because the team lost a game it should have won. "It's hard to win on the road" - such a Cyclone excuse. Nothing that's happened in the past matters. Kenpom doesn't matter. Just beat the team's you're supposed to beat. Baylor's going to finish in the bottom 3rd of the conference. Iowa State is better than Baylor, more talented than Baylor, deeper than Baylor. Show the toughness needed to beat them. Stop making excuses. This team has the tools to win the regular season conference title. This team should have expected to start 4-0 conference.

The "gee golly it's perfectly OK to lose these games and there's a lot of season left!" crowd is so annoying. Demand to win that game. Be pissed when we don't win that game, because the team that wins those types of games will win this conference this season, a season when the path to the regular season conference crown is as open as it has ever been.

Fans don't really get to demand anything. I'm sure the players and coaches are disappointed that they didn't win against a team that they certainly feel they are better than. They can evaluate their own effort, skill, and play and demand success in the future. But as a fan, you can either understand that we'll win some games and lose some games, or you can stop supporting the program. Most reasonable people understand that some winnable games turn into losses, just like some likely losses turn into wins.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
But as a fan, you can either understand that we'll win some games and lose some games, or you can stop supporting the program. Most reasonable people understand that some winnable games turn into losses, just like some likely losses turn into wins.
What makes you think people don’t understand you’ll win some and lose some? Most people understand that as a fan you get to enjoy the season by being fanatical over wins and losses. which includes a lot of things.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
What makes you think people don’t understand you’ll win some and lose some? Most people understand that as a fan you get to enjoy the season by being fanatical over wins and losses. which includes a lot of things.

Did you read the post he was responding to, or did you just want to argue semantics? zzzzzzzzzzz

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

But saying you DEMAND a team to win a group of games or an individual game is just refusing to recognize that there's variability and unpredictability in how games turn out. I also don't think most people came in expecting to start out 4-0 in Big 12 play, as that poster said that we should have. It's great to be fanatical, but it's stupid to go on a roller coaster ride of thinking we won't make the tournament to thinking we'll win the Big 12 to thinking the world is going to end, as some posters seem to do.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Why are people ok with us losing 5 or 6 road games? This is not the way a winning program attacks their season.

Because it's the norm. We are fans. We are not on the team. That's a difficult concept for many Cyclones fans. As long as Prohm and the team aren't accepting 5 or 6 road losses, then we're fine. All we can do as fans is show up to the games.

If we go 3-6 on the road and 9-0 at home, that's a great season by ISU standards. Damn, that KU win got people all out of whack. Went from expecting to get back in the tourney to expecting a Big 12 championship.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

No one's jumping off the ledge. Folks are pissed because the team lost a game it should have won. "It's hard to win on the road" - such a Cyclone excuse. Nothing that's happened in the past matters. Kenpom doesn't matter. Just beat the team's you're supposed to beat. Baylor's going to finish in the bottom 3rd of the conference. Iowa State is better than Baylor, more talented than Baylor, deeper than Baylor. Show the toughness needed to beat them. Stop making excuses. This team has the tools to win the regular season conference title. This team should have expected to start 4-0 conference.

The "gee golly it's perfectly OK to lose these games and there's a lot of season left!" crowd is so annoying. Demand to win that game. Be pissed when we don't win that game, because the team that wins those types of games will win this conference this season, a season when the path to the regular season conference crown is as open as it has ever been.
tenor.gif

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
The difference between the big 12 teams and Kansas is Kansas goes on the road and wins the games they should win. Against Baylor, Okie State and those type of teams. That is why they have won the big 12 so many times (And they pay players but that's a different story). KU loses to good teams on the road but normally beats the teams they should beat on the road.

KU lost at UO and at home vs TT last year. I expect they'll lose a few more on the road this season. Let's wait and see how the season unfolds. I still think ISU has the highest ceiling in the conference as Wigg, Lard, and Solo aren't anywhere near to being back at 100%, as well as the team with a lot more room to learn to play with them.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

I demand proper use of the word queue.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Home teams are 11-3 (.786) so far in Big 12 play. The three teams that have a loss at home thus far are a combined 2-7 (.222) overall in the league. The three teams that have a win on the road are a combined 7-2 (.777). Only West Virginia doesn't have a league home win, but they have only played one home game in league and it was to 14-1 Tech.

Winning on the road in this league is simply hard.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It is similar on the women's side. Home teams are 11-3. The teams who have won a road game are a combined 8-0. The teams who have lost home games are a combined 2-6. Kansas is the only team that hasn't won a home game and they have only played one home game.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Why are people ok with us losing 5 or 6 road games? This is not the way a winning program attacks their season.

No one is okay with losing games. We all hate it, players, coaches and fans. As fans we are just being realistic that the team is going to lose some games, and those are most likely going to happen on the road, especially when your team has magic at home most of the time. I am hoping ISU wins out, but I realize there will probably be 3-5+ more games where things just don't work out. The BU game really stunk because the team was right there at the end and pretty much chocked at crunch time. Hopefully it is a learning experience for the team.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
No one is okay with losing games. We all hate it, players, coaches and fans. As fans we are just being realistic that the team is going to lose some games, and those are most likely going to happen on the road, especially when your team has magic at home most of the time. I am hoping ISU wins out, but I realize there will probably be 3-5+ more games where things just don't work out. The BU game really stunk because the team was right there at the end and pretty much chocked at crunch time. Hopefully it is a learning experience for the team.
I understand everyones feelings. I'm still pissed about the Baylor game. Doesn't mean I lower my expectations. Winners believe.

D

Deleted member 8507

We need to win one non-home game in each state we play in.
Iowa - check (Drake-pretty much a home game)
Hawaii - check (true neutral)
Oklahoma - check
Texas - TBD
Kansas - TBD
Mississippi - TBD
W. Virginia - TBD
Missouri -TBD (neutral??)

That would be four more true road games and then a game at Hilton South. Ole Miss is a decent team. Their arena holds 9,500 but they only draw 7,5000 so hopefully it is not rockin' for the game there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron