*** Official #20 IOWA STATE VS Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
I agree here. But, the Baylor guy fouled NWB and Nick should have shot 3 FTs there. If the Ref is unafraid to blow his whistle on the Shayok tie-up - which should have been a no-call - then he sure as heck needed to blow his whistle when it was clearly a foul -that is what Mason was trying to do. Smart BBall by NWB to put the shot up there. AND, if the play had been called correctly, all of us on here would have been praising NWB for his hoops IQ and for giving our team a chance to tie it up and send it to overtime.

Wasn’t saying anything against NWB, just would have felt better with LW taking a shot

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
every road game, our first three offensive plays should be babb penetrating or bombing a 3. he just plays so soft sometimes, he needs a kick in the (*^&^ to get going!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I just got back to the board (and boy, are my arms tired! ;)) ...

Bummer to let a winnable road win slip away. Coming so soon after crushing KU makes it seem extra-Icky. I'm not sure why the first 13 or 14 minutes went well and segments in the final 25 looked enitrely different.

If we could could go only 1-1 vs. Kansas & at Baylor, I can live with how it unfolded. Make sure to dispense w/ KSU at home and go from there.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Wasn’t saying anything against NWB, just would have felt better with LW taking a shot
That's how I took it - sorry if it came across differently. My thought process went to the horrid officiating at the end (even ESPN's caption was something like "Baylor holds off ISU after no foul on final shot.") - so that is why I elaborated on the NWB possession.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Better learn to live with it, we aren't going any where.
And my daughters are NEVER going anywhere near BU. I won't even stop in Waco on my way to visit my sister in --- well, it's a place that is near Waco. Would rather not divulge that info to your student body.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
One complaint I haven’t seen mentioned is that Baylor was allowed to call time while falling out of bounds. I will continue to call for officials to be held accountable. College sports needs to have reputable officiating or people are going to stop watching.

Actually the rule prohibits calling timeout while you are in the air before landing out of bounds. Baylor guy still had his feet on the floor.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I just got back to the board (and boy, are my arms tired! ;)) ...

Bummer to let a winnable road win slip away. Coming so soon after crushing KU makes it seem extra-Icky. I'm not sure why the first 13 or 14 minutes went well and segments in the final 25 looked enitrely different.

If we could could go only 1-1 vs. Kansas & at Baylor, I can live with how it unfolded. Make sure to dispense w/ KSU at home and go from there.
It was really the last 7 of the first half that was so icky. If we play even a bit better before halftime, I am positive that we hang on and win that game by 4 or 5. Also, if Mason isn't hitting some of his RIDICULOUS "throw up a shot with someone blocking my view of the basket" they aren't within 7 of us at the end. It was also annoying at how good they were at the FT line. I mentioned this earlier & had watched BU play 4 other times and they have not been good as a team shooting FTs. I realize their best FT'ers were on the line at the end, but their 40% FT shooter canned all of his - it was their night. They shoot like they typically shoot this year (and don't get some of those very favorable calls) when they visit Hilton - 17+pt win for the Cyclones.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Better learn to live with it, we aren't going any where.

What’s it feel like to be a fan of a religious school that has covered up both a murder by one of its basketball players but also the rapes of multiple women by the football team? Does it feel good? Which direction does your moral compass point?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
This team has no one that can take a game over. Tonight 5 guys tired to and it failed bad. When they play as a team things go so smooth. When the are not pressed things go well. When their back is against the wall they struggle. Getting over that may come with time. The best comparison to this team is when Kane was at ISU it took him a bit to figure that role out. This is just one of those crappy games you get from time to time.

I still haven't figured out how you can graduate from Yale and chose to go to Baylor.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
This team has no one that can take a game over. Tonight 5 guys tired to and it failed bad. When they play as a team things go so smooth. When the are not pressed things go well. When their back is against the wall they struggle. Getting over that may come with time. The best comparison to this team is when Kane was at ISU it took him a bit to figure that role out. This is just one of those crappy games you get from time to time.

I still haven't figured out why you would choose to go to Baylor.
FIFY

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017

I still haven't figured out how you can graduate from Yale and chose to go to Baylor.
I hate to admit it, but I've liked Drew ever since he stopped in our locker room and wished the team good luck.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I hate to admit it, but I've liked Drew ever since he stopped in our locker room and wished the team good luck.
I don't mind Drew - their university, on the other hand, is an altogether different beast & that is why it absolutely sucks to lose to BU nowadays. They should have been kicked out of our conference & should have gotten a similar punishment that SMU did "back in the day."

Reactions: kingcy

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
I don't mind Drew - their university, on the other hand, is an altogether different beast & that is why it absolutely sucks to lose to BU nowadays. They should have been kicked out of our conference & should have gotten a similar punishment that SMU did "back in the day."
I agree that they should have had a much more severe punishment back when it happened. I believe all the faculty and athletes are long gone now. I can't see punishing them now because the athletes there now haven't done anything. The only punishment I would be in favor of now is banning their boosters at the time of the incidents from contributing and a fine equal to those boosters donations being given to a charity that deals with domestic violence and rape.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Actually the rule prohibits calling timeout while you are in the air before landing out of bounds. Baylor guy still had his feet on the floor.
I feel like that is a deliberate misinterpretation of the rule. The rule was put in place to eliminate the type of play that happened last night. He was in the process of falling out of bounds. If he had called it right away then started to fall out of bounds that would be one thing.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If you want to win the conference 13-5 is the number. This is a difficult game to lose because we played well. Shot over 50% from the field and 38% from 3. We are going to have plenty of road games where we don't hit those numbers.

Kansas wins games like this. Show me a time when KU has shot over 50% from the field and still lost a conference game.

They need to isolate Shayok, THT or Wiggington in late game situations. Those are your three closers in my opinion. I would prefer Shayok and this point.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
In fact our team shooting above 50% from the field and still losing a conference game has occurred 8 times in the CSP era.
In that same time frame it has occurred twice to Bill Self and Kansas. Both times against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron