San Antonio fan stories

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
We had some adults behaving badly in Section 124 of the game. One woman barfed all over the place before kickoff and some drunk fat guys behind us tried to start a fight with a Cyclone fan in front of me. As for the riverwalk, I was wondering about the lack of guardrails too. It's only 3 feet deep, but a lot of people were packed in pretty tight, so I can see how someone might fall in.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We had some adults behaving badly in Section 124 of the game. One woman barfed all over the place before kickoff and some drunk fat guys behind us tried to start a fight with a Cyclone fan in front of me. As for the riverwalk, I was wondering about the lack of guardrails too. It's only 3 feet deep, but a lot of people were packed in pretty tight, so I can see how someone might fall in.
And a lot of strollers too. I noticed for the most part stairs to get down, so that would be interesting.
There was an outdoor elevator by Hard Rock I guess.

Reactions: 9104Griffith

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Before the game started, woman behind us barfed all over my date and my buddy and his date; I managed to miss the projectile, but had clean-up duty. Musta been all the free BushLite.
$135 for low-level end zone seats 'cuz I wanted to support "school-allotment sales"....yeah, that will change next time.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
What was tailgating like? At Liberty bowls we took tent, grill and had three adjoining reserved spaces with electricity in Tiger Lane. Weather was crap both years, glad we took heater too.

How was it at Alamo?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Got to be the ones to run a bar out of Busch Lights Thursday, that was neat.

Couple rows in front of us at the game there was an absolute mammoth of a man, had to be 7 ft tall & 300 lbs. Someone made a comment about how large he is, and he just said something like "I don't think I'm all that big, all you people are just really small".

Friday night after the game there were a couple Wazzu players with their Alamo Bowl Champions hats on at the bar we were at. They came up to us with praise & compliments for our team and fan base, thought that was cool. Seemed to be genuine, not the back-handed crap you get from some people.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
What was tailgating like? At Liberty bowls we took tent, grill and had three adjoining reserved spaces with electricity in Tiger Lane. Weather was crap both years, glad we took heater too.

How was it at Alamo?

Walking through Lot B 1 hour before the game, it looked pretty festive. Looked like people were having a good time. A bit blustery and on the chilly side, but that didn't seem to be dampening enthusiasm.

Reactions: aauummm

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Sat among quite a few Cougar fans at the game. They got increasingly nervous as the game tightened. As fans, they have suffered a lot of nut cup moments like us. All in all, I enjoyed interacting with them. Never want us to lose to anyone, but it was slightly less painful losing to a program like them.

Reactions: aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I did some homework about restaurants and made a reservation a week ahead of time at Rita's on the Riverwalk through the hotel concierge so we could have a VIP table on Friday afternoon. Uber driver confirmed that it was the best TexMex on the river. When we arrived, we learned that it was an official Washington State hangout (missed that during my research). However, all the VIP tables were taken by Iowa State groups. It was really fun to cover the entrance of their restaurant so that Cougar fans had to stand there and look as us while they waited in a long line to get crummy seats way back inside the building.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We also fastened a Cyclone Nation flag in the Pac-12 endzone. If Montgomery has scored in the 4th quarter, we might have gotten a Lambeau Leap!

49001780_2276453102365238_1827035330591588352_n.jpg

If I had known they wouldn't make me take it down, I would have brought a much bigger flag.

P.S. That is Seneca in the bottom of the photo. He came by and talked to us a few times.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

How was it at Alamo?
I’d say they needed more port a potties. Tailgating wasn’t bad. Quite a few barrel style fires to stay warm at, lots of smokers and grills going, there was a live band.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Drank with some really nice Coug fans at the Hilton bar Thursday night. One told me all about getting Couged.

Little old lady asked nicely at the game that I switch seats with 1 of my kids so she could see as she was seated behind me.

My stories suck but at least my dad bod is on point.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I was walking on the River Walk trying to get back to family which was waiting in line for one of the boat rides. Apparently I got in between a family. (2 in front and 2 in back of me) An older lady kind of pushed my arm a bit and I walked ahead. A couple minutes later a dude taps me on the shoulder and says, “Man, it’s not cool you pushing my mom.”. I said, “What? I did not push anybody.” I was not in the mood for anything like this. He says, “It’s not cool to push people.” His mom steps up and talks him down. She said, “You misunderstood me, I pushed him.” He grumbled an apology and I said nothing. I hate dumb meatheads looking for a fight. I think he was a cyclone fan…

You should have dropped him...I hate meatheads as well.

• Agree
Reactions: twojman

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
All the Wazzu fans we chatted with were really nice. They were amazed at our crowd. We decided they were pretty much like us....Ag/vet/engineering/land grant school who are sick of their entitled, delusional, obnoxious little brother school across the state.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I heard a few folks on the Riverwalk on Friday afternoon say that they had just seen Dan McCarney. Bummed I missed him. Any confirmation sightings?