Driving to Alamo Bowl

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Thanks for the reminder. I should be rolling through Dallas right when they open so I plan on stopping for some ribs!!
My brother and I had this in our plan several years ago when we were down that way. Maybe we just caught them at a bad time (right at opening) but I had heard great things and it turned out to be disappointing. I would like to try it again at the heart of the evening rather than at opening Sunday afternoon.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
  • We hope to leave around 10:30 AM or 11 AM on Dec 26th. Wife HAS to work from the office a bit that morning. :mad: We’ll be taking three kids with us (12, 10 and 7) Hopefully they will be good. I plan on teaching them Euchre, Cribbage and 31. :cool:
We’ve got a hotel room reserved in Ft. Worth for that night and it is near TCU campus. TCU will be playing their bowl game that night. We thought about finding a place to watch it or just letting the kids swim depending on when we get there.

Getting up early on 27th and hope to be in San Antonio for the pep rally and then enjoy the city the rest of the day as well as during the day on the 28th. Trying to figure out if getting a parking pass in the Alamodome area is worthwhile. We could park there and just walk to different attractions in SA during the day and then be able to get out the lot fairly well after ISU wins 31-23.

Splitting the drive home on Dec 29 and 30.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I used to be in this camp, until I drove it in the daylight.
About 30 years ago I drove down 75 into Dallas to visit my brother. I was in traffic careening down 6 or so lanes of traffic at about 85 miles an hour pretty much jam packed when all of a sudden there was a guy moseying across 6 lanes of traffic. He was walking straight across the highway! I had to swerve into another lane that was occupied - luckily that person was paying attention and gave me some room. When I honked at the guy who came so very close to being a bug splatter on my hood and windshield he just flipped me off. I have to believe that he was totally high. I don't know how you would ever think that is a good idea even if totally drunk. All I could think about for the next half hour was my daughter who was in the car with me and how traumatized she would be if I had hit and killed that guy right in front her.

ropingcy

Nov 17, 2016
That's totally nutty. I see it too when I look at it. But if the only change is the last bit from Dallas to SA, it makes zero sense that it would alter the total times like that. AI trying to kill us all I suppose.

I'm guessing the difference is that you can take 35W through Fort Worth instead of taking 35E through Dallas, which shortens up the trip some.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
We are leaving 12/25 hopefully around 2 PM, driving to Ardmore, OK. Stay the night there, finish the trip on 12/26, pick daughter up at San Antonio airport at 5:30 and head to the Spurs/Nuggets game.
How much did you get the nuggets tickets? Was is it hard to get? I might go to the game if the prices are reasonable.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Thank u baby Jesus!!! Wifes family is leaving a day early so can start the treck south tomorrow afternoon instead of doing the whole trip on Thursday.

Reactions: clonerules

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Nearing OKC. Took the Kansas turnpike. Eta to Norman for the night 415. Total time 8hrs, 15 mins with 3 pit spots about 550 miles.

Reactions: aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just chatted with a friend that was driving to KC, then flying to Austin, renting a car to drive to San Antonio. Sounds like a lot of work, but she said it was much cheaper than flying out of DM.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Flying from Minneapolis to Dallas. Driving from Dallas to Austin tomorrow. Austin to SA Thursday. SA to Dallas to Minneapolis on Saturday.

Family trip. Left to my own devices, I’d drive and get back Sunday

Help Support Us

Become a patron