How important are internships?

CyFamilyMom

Dec 14, 2013
My daughter just finished her first semester in college. She has already applied for a few internships this summer, and is researching more right now. How important is it for her to have an internship at this point? To me it seems a little early—I would prefer that she just make money this summer. She says that she is already behind because others did internships in high school. Any thoughts on this? She is a public relations major with business/graphic design minor.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The more internships the better I have always seen. Many pay, so you can make money and get experience at the same time. Working for any business will look better than being a life guard at a pool.

The first jobs will give her a leg up on getting the better internships later.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Every industry is gonna be different, but my job was obtained through an internship. See seems a bit young for one and I'd encourage to travel and have fun at her age. You have the rest of your life to work, plus employers will hire seniors, not freshman.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Other than the great resume builder, it'll give her a chance to assess the company she works for to see if she wants to continue her career there after graduation. If she does, the company may give service time from that hire date. We have engineers here fresh out of school with five years credited due to their internship service (at the same company).

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Speaking from personal experience...

I had 2 internships. Both were good experience and gave me a leg up in getting a job. Since I'm an engineer, I didn't get one until after my 5th semester - typically, companies don't look to pick up an engineer who hasn't had a few engineering courses.

YMMV with PR and graphic design.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
It seems the top kids these days all have had multiple internships and tons of extracurricular activities (clubs, associations, etc, etc) on their resumes. Still, I think getting one after your freshman year isn't a must. Great if it works out, not the end of the world if it doesn't.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
It seems the top kids these days all have had multiple internships and tons of extracurricular activities (clubs, associations, etc, etc) on their resumes. Still, I think getting one after your freshman year isn't a must. Great if it works out, not the end of the world if it doesn't.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. At the career fairs or applying online your resume decides if you get an interview and employers wants to see internships and involvement

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The more actual experience she can get the better. And if she has any interest in graphic design then the portfolio she puts together and shows employers is going to be as important as the degree itself. She's going to want as many samples of real work for businesses/companies/clients that span various industries as she can get.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Try now but don't expect to get serious attention. Bigger for Jr year. Making money is good this summer. Bonus if she can tie it to her field of interest. Definitely get involved in any campus clubs or events relevant to her major, great way to network and find opportunities

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
in the marketing profession, the right internships during college could greatly accelerate a career, especially if it is the right market place or in an agency. It may also help her see what she really wants to do and may give her insight into how to shape her education better or what direction she wants to go in. It is definitely a field that likes young talent too.

I will also say that I look for interns more and more for my office, but it also depends on her market.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think internships are incredibly important, depending on her major.

That being said, as a Freshman it's not necessary.

I'd rather she got a job on campus or did something remotely related to her field of study than going back 'home' and working at the mall.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know I'm old here, but I got a basic one after my freshman year. That basically got me an employee to give a rec' for others. I went to school for 4 1/2 years and had 4 internships (all paid). The last one was with the employer I wanted to work for and wanted to hire me. That is where I landed after college.

I did interview with 5 other companies (actually 6 but I just wanted a practice run to warm me up for companies that I was interested in, I had no interest in this compnay and it showed), I got offers from all 5 companies due to my internship history.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I recruit at Iowa State for my company and an internship is the single most important differentiating factor. 2nd most is personal projects. Everyone does the same projects. If you have a project on your resume that is required for a class, I couldn't care less. An example in the engineering majors is the Mars Rover project or drone project. Don't care unless you won and took it to nationals or something. We actually cross out GPA when talking to them as to not have it bias us. So academics aren't that important

That being said, we rarely offer internships to freshman. We start junior year typically. She should try because of the experience, especially interviews but don't expect much like @cowgirl836 said.

I think after freshman or sophomore year is a great opportunity for a study abroad semester or summer. Obviously cost is a factor though.

Basically I'm saying if she was lifeguarding at the pool for a summer job, that does less than a study abroad or a relevant internship

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Speaking from personal experience, as a Civil Engineering grad...

It was rare for many freshman to get a real internship in my field. At best, you could get a job as a laborer on a construction site. Any real engineering internship required at least sophomore level coursework.

I ended up working in a factory in my hometown the summer after my freshman year. It was a fantastic experience and I still think back to it often. It keeps me grounded in understand who will be building what I put on drawings. Speaking as a parent, I would not rush my child into a traditional internship right away if she's not interested yet and/or if she's too early in her coursework to do anything meaningful. I would not be afraid to let them use this as a time to explore and learn about their own personal interests/passions. As long as they are contributing to something worthwhile in a positive way, and supporting themselves in some way, that's enough for me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Having watched my son go through the process of obtaining a job, there are so many "entry level" jobs that require extensive experience. It's pretty idiotic. If he had three years experience and wants your crappy entry level job, I'd say he's failing on some level as his sights should be higher at that point.

So anyway, end rant, I'd say internships probably help in that regard.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy and Cy$

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Internships sure don't hurt to have on a resume and is valuable real life experience in the work place you can't replicate in the classroom. Also might give her an idea what to expect coming out of college too and make sure what she is going into is what she really wants to do. Depending on what field she is going into some places may not even hire an intern that just finished their freshman year, usually that is something you do after your sophomore and/or junior year because usually you haven't done much more than take general ed requirements at that point vs major classes after 1 year of college.

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
One of my biggest regrets is not "Living it up" during the summers in college.
I was the "responsible one", and just worked all summer and stashed some cash to pay for college.

I would definately tell younger me to take that Summer Job, working at that Pizza Joint/Bar on the Lakes in Minnesota.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
My daughter just finished her first semester in college. She has already applied for a few internships this summer, and is researching more right now. How important is it for her to have an internship at this point? To me it seems a little early—I would prefer that she just make money this summer. She says that she is already behind because others did internships in high school. Any thoughts on this? She is a public relations major with business/graphic design minor.
It’s early for her. It’s not impossible to get something, but when people find out she’s a freshman that will be a turn off. The best time would be junior year. Most places want you to have work experience before graduating college. I don’t really agre with it but that’s how it is.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
One of my biggest regrets is not "Living it up" during the summers in college.
I was the "responsible one", and just worked all summer and stashed some cash to pay for college.

I would definately tell younger me to take that Summer Job, working at that Pizza Joint/Bar on the Lakes in Minnesota.

I agree with this to some degree. While I wouldn't necessarily take the "party summer" type job, I do wish I would've taken a more "out of the box" internship. After the summer working in a factory (referenced in previous post), I took two normal internships and then went right into grad school. I once met someone who did an internship with the Minnesota Parks Department maintaining trails up near the boundary waters. It was low pay, but he lived in parks all summer and spend his days walking in the forest and clearing brush. Sounds pretty good to me!