Thinking about a Telescope...

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
When I was in Helser our house all chipped in and bought one to keep an eye on the “goings on” across the street at Friley. Money well spent.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Do you have a dark location where you can easily and frequently use it? Your back yard would be the ideal answer. If not, this will definitely influence your choices and whether you will get your money's worth or not.

dcorbatt

Jul 25, 2016
Do you have a dark location where you can easily and frequently use it? Your back yard would be the ideal answer. If not, this will definitely influence your choices and whether you will get your money's worth or not.

I do.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Check out the Adam's observatory in ames if you are close. I think they have a meeting once a month and they have some nice equipment there if I remember correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: dcorbatt

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have one, and the Cloudy Nights link above is a great resource (especially the forums) . I learned most of what I know about astronomy/telescopes from that site.

My biggest piece of advice is do not buy a scope from a department store. Those are usually low quality, and you will probably be disappointed with it.

Check out if you have a local astronomy club near you. They usually have regular meetings. and you will be able to see the various types of equipment there