Question Re: Bored At Work

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I have similar thoughts as you. I’m a pretty hard worker and also a self starter if I have goal in mind. I think I could do much better as my own boss because that in and of itself is motivating.

My first job out of college lasted 7 years and I was busy all the time. Everything was task based and there was always a million tasks to do so no chance for down time. Now im adjusting to a different work flow.

This is my job now and it's kinda starting to eat me up. I would love to be bored at work just one day.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This is my job now and it's kinda starting to eat me up. I would love to be bored at work just one day.

There’s a big difference between being engaged and being busy. The guy running the machine making bottle caps is busy all the time but probably not terribly engaged.

Most of us want work that is engaging and keeps us busy. Doing bs tasks just to fill the time is drudgery.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
I was browsing reddit. They had some links posting statistics about work production with companies that worked 5 days for 8 hours and 4 for 8 hours. The work production was basically the same. I'll try to find the links to it.

It kind of makes sense. When you have less time (32 hours) you are more focused and spend less time online or taking breaks if you have deadlines to reach. I probably spend close to the 8 hour difference reading stuff online or taking breaks from work. I'm sure people browse sites like CF for the 8 hour difference. When you have less time for deadlines, you know you gotta haul it to make it.

I'm curious to see how other countries work like in England, Spain, etc?

Some schools have 4 day weeks. The research has shown that this hasn't affected their test scores and the schools save a ton of cash by doing it. Although, it's probably a pain in the ass for the parents on that day off.

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/society/education/four-day-school-week-research/

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Some schools have 4 day weeks. The research has shown that this hasn't affected their test scores and the schools save a ton of cash by doing it. Although, it's probably a pain in the ass for the parents on that day off.

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/society/education/four-day-school-week-research/

I'm guessing we will continue to see significant changes in what the work environment looks like in the future. The big companies are already starting to adopt paid family leave, totally flexible schedules, and some are even eliminating their vacation policies. In a tight labor market like we have, these kinds of things become a way to set themselves apart so the employer market will begin to adapt. Hell, I just talked to a guy who manages benefits for a company and he was telling me that pet insurance and pet leave are becoming more common, as well.

The last big company I worked for was very generous with their PTO. I think I started with 24 days of PTO right out of the gate. You could roll over up to 2x your yearly accrual (i.e. I could roll over up to 48 days). The unique thing was, you had the option of storing your excess PTO in a sabbatical account. Once every 5 years, you were allowed to tap into that account and take up to 2 consecutive months off. So, every summer, one of the higher level managers would be off for most of it.

Reactions: ianoconnor

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There’s a big difference between being engaged and being busy. The guy running the machine making bottle caps is busy all the time but probably not terribly engaged.

Most of us want work that is engaging and keeps us busy. Doing bs tasks just to fill the time is drudgery.

Yeah, depends on the task.

If it's useful and part of a bigger solution/process it makes sense.

If it's something a boss implemented to make a simple job more complicated, it's much worse.

Had a job that required scheduling via Outlook, and after a couple of snafus, a new 'system' was implemented that required everyone to block sharing calendars (so you had to make an appointment on yours, and send it to someone else, but keep it on yours) and then record the appointments on two more documents. It led to less work actually getting done, and more mistakes in between the added steps.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
fair, though I'd argue having the flexibility to do those things you listed would be nice. I don't know your work schedule, but if you would replace that with time you aren't working (browsing websites, etc.) would those times be the same?

I had a remote job before and struggled with work ethic so I see where you are coming from. I think at least for me, I could handle it better now. It's not for everyone though.
Working remote has it's advantages for sure. You make a good point to how much time is spent not working at work and how that would translate to working at home. Do you have a home workspace where you are able to focus and make it feel like work? It seems like a person could make their own routine at home and make it work. Not that is would be easy, but work is work :)

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Working remote has it's advantages for sure. You make a good point to how much time is spent not working at work and how that would translate to working at home. Do you have a home workspace where you are able to focus and make it feel like work? It seems like a person could make their own routine at home and make it work. Not that is would be easy, but work is work :)

Friends that I have who work from home say this is key. You have to have a dedicated space in the house that is your "office." One friend has a wife who stays home with the kids, so it's important for him to set boundaries with them. When Dad is in his office, that means he's working and can't be disturbed. That's a hard thing to do with kids, but it seems to work well with him.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This is a great article that many of us have eluded to in this thread: ******** Jobs. Not ****** jobs that are necessary, but unnecessary, well-paid jobs.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-review/the-********-job-boom

I was able to Google and find the article. Thanks for posting! I agree wholeheartedly with the thesis that there are many ******** jobs. However, there are some points that I disagree with, but aren't worth getting into here.

I really liked the last paragraph which mentioned some great works that were achieved while sitting at the ******** desk. I'm not creating great work, but I can relate to it, as I spend a lot of my ******** work time designing and dreaming up woodworking or home improvement projects to do on my personal time.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Right now I'm jealous of the guy running the bottle-cap making machine all day. I just want to mentally check out and not have a day end with "well, I only got done half of what I'm supposed to get done."

But I also realize that there are a lot of jobs I would enjoy for 2-3 months and quickly get very sick of. Assembly line, truck driver, guy who holds the "stop/slow" sign, etc.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Right now I'm jealous of the guy running the bottle-cap making machine all day. I just want to mentally check out and not have a day end with "well, I only got done half of what I'm supposed to get done."

But I also realize that there are a lot of jobs I would enjoy for 2-3 months and quickly get very sick of. Assembly line, truck driver, guy who holds the "stop/slow" sign, etc.

Speaking for myself, it's nice to dream about the "brainless jobs" but I know I would hate them after a short period of time. As an engineer, I always joke with my wife that maybe I should go work for the DOT or the county where I can put in my 40, have flex-time and good benefits, but just clock in and out. She knows me well enough to know I'd drive her crazy not long after doing that because I'd be stir-crazy for 40 hrs a week.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I have a desk with space for a laptop and a pc to work if needed. I don’t use it a ton, but when I do I get a lot more done then when I’m the office.

I’m a Java developer, so for my profession I’d rather be working remotely so I have freedom to do house tasks and be in a place where I can focus without work distractions. For people that have do more socializing for their job, they would probably be the opposite.

I failed the first time remotely because I was still in college and it was my last time being around high school friends for the summer. There was also a lack of supervision from my leader so I was able to get away with slacking off which led to a bad work ethic. All those are gone now so I should be ok, being an adult where more is on the line (job prospects, money) helps keep motivated.

Reactions: cyclonpediaJoe

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron