Question Re: Bored At Work

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I work from home, my vacation is not tracked, I get to travel throughout the year. Not bored, just appreciate the fact that I worked hard the past 28 years to be in the position I am currently in. Stress level is way down.

Does being bored at your job create stress?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It fascinates me that salaried employees feel like they have to “kill time” at work. If you have a peaks and valleys type job, go home/ do something else in the valleys. If you work hard during peaks why are you wasting your time on the other end?

Salaried guy here and I am working for a clock-watching boss for the first time in my 40 years in the work force. In general I work until my work is done (or I can't stand it anymore). During the chaos parts of the year (my favorite times bar none!) late nights and weekends happen. During the down times, nothing worse for me than to color code pencils or de-clutter files waiting for the final 30-60 minutes grinds away.

She's managing the "want-to" out of me and putting me closer and closer to retirement.

Good saying - people rarely leave a company. They usually are leaving a boss.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I work from home, my vacation is not tracked, I get to travel throughout the year. Not bored, just appreciate the fact that I worked hard the past 28 years to be in the position I am currently in. Stress level is way down.

In short, yes. But it’s multifaceted. On one hand, I stress that my boss will realize I’m only busy half the time and eliminate my position (this has a 5% chance of actually happening). On the other hand, there’s the stress of “maybe I picked the wrong career in the first place” but I have a family to support so there’s no room for change anytime soon.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

There’s also the general stress of feeling unproductive. I’m someone who has to have something to do and needs to see the fruits of my labor. So sitting in my office all day with nothing to do is not good for the soul.

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I work from home about 40% of the time. Usually work from home about 10-1 M-Thu and then head in and work from about 1:30-6 or 7. Friday’s work all day from home. Saturday “on call” but don’t really work at all and Sunday completely shut off. Same as you with vacation. Boss more or less says as long as you’re doing what you’re supposed to and things are running well, take whatever vacation time you want.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
More companies are going to a 4 days a week for 10 or 4 x 8.

I’d be in favor of that to add another weekend day.

I also think a lot of jobs could be done at home. Being forced to go into the office when i can do all the work at home and Skype when I need to talk to others seems like a no brainer. Plus this would save costs for the company as well.

Keep a mobbing station/meeting room if you need to meet in person would be a solution as well.

I’d like to hear counter arguments why it should stay as being to work in the same location for jobs that can be done remotely.
I would love Monday thru Thursday. I would do a lot more car polishing, gardening, etc.
I would also then say eff it and take a lot more 3 day weekend trips and end up spending more money.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Good thoughts. I’m a lot like you. When I’m busy my job is great, but when I get bored, I start to think about “grass is greener” things. One of the big changes for me that I struggle with is no longer being a “ladder climber.” Early in my career, I was all about the next promotion, the right connections, etc. Now I’m more comfortable in my own skin so I don’t care about all that extra crap. I’m glad i gave that up, but it can also manifest into complacency.

I agree with your last point too. Repeatedly changing jobs isnt going to fix a core issue. That’s why im trying to do some self reflection to figure out the core issue. Maybe I’m overthinking it and it’s just a slow phase at work, nothing more.

This might be one of my least favorite things about the working world culture

Something I've noticed when I'm in a small town or something where someone's only job is serving at the local cafe or something is how much more content they seem to be. It's not always the case obviously, but the general vibe is just different when there's no competition and people aren't made to feel like jobs aren't worth something.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk

I also think a lot of jobs could be done at home. Being forced to go into the office when i can do all the work at home and Skype when I need to talk to others seems like a no brainer. Plus this would save costs for the company as well.

Keep a mobbing station/meeting room if you need to meet in person would be a solution as well.

I’d like to hear counter arguments why it should stay as being to work in the same location for jobs that can be done remotely.
For me personally, I need the structure. Having a routine helps me be the most productive employee I can be. Being in an office, with peers, and being able to work our way through difficult tasks together keeps me motivated. Working remotely would be difficult to keep a strong consistent work ethic throughout the day. I would be doing laundry, cleaning the house, making up meals. We have a baby on the way, so I would be trying to save that $$$ money and do our own child care too.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

I work 4 10 hour days and it’s awesome. Will hate going back to 5 days a week if I ever have to. Invariably some idiot always wants to brag and say “well I work 5 11 hour days...blah blah blah”. Good for you. I bet on your death bed you’re gonna be really glad you spent all that time away from your kids and family at a job that’s just gonna simply replace you when you leave.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
How does a company decide to do 4 days weeks?

I’ve heard of cities encouraging companies to do it to ease congestion issues. I think it may have been Houston, but am not sure.

I’d think that in a good economy that employees leaving for competitors who have 4-day weeks would have some influence.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Aren't we all just doing this to make a enough money to retire as soon as possible?

*begins day dreaming of fishing all day, hunting whenever I want, traveling to cool places, loafing at the coffee shop until noon because I can*

If that’s what you think retirement is, wow are you in for a disappointment! I enjoyed a very fulfilling 37 year carrer in the Deere advertising department. Can't recall a day of boredom. Last 10 years I was slammed. (Retired, and they hired two people to share my role.) Still do some free-lance writing. But I digress. I own some property with a two-acre stocked pond and rarely get to fish it. Spend a fair amount of time mowing grass and on other property maintenance. Get to shoot trap and targets occasionally. Never “loaf” at the coffee shop, although I regularly sleep in till 7:30. I go to the YMCA three times a week to swim. And am plenty busy taking care of elderly parents and assisting with grandkids. No complaints; just not how I envisioned retirement. Suggest you find a challenging/fulfilling job and don’t wish the time away. Oh, and make sure you’re banking enough $ to ensure the lifestyle you want in retirement.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If that’s what you think retirement is, wow are you in for a disappointment! I enjoyed a very fulfilling 37 year carrer in the Deere advertising department. Can't recall a day of boredom. Last 10 years I was slammed. (Retired, and they hired two people to share my role.) Still do some free-lance writing. But I digress. I own some property with a two-acre stocked pond and rarely get to fish it. Spend a fair amount of time mowing grass and on other property maintenance. Get to shoot trap and targets occasionally. Never “loaf” at the coffee shop, although I regularly sleep in till 7:30. I go to the YMCA three times a week to swim. And am plenty busy taking care of elderly parents and assisting with grandkids. No complaints; just not how I envisioned retirement. Suggest you find a challenging/fulfilling job and don’t wish the time away. Oh, and make sure you’re banking enough $ to ensure the lifestyle you want in retirement.

Sounds like you both enjoy freedom...just different definitions of what that is.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
How does a company decide to do 4 days weeks?
I was browsing reddit. They had some links posting statistics about work production with companies that worked 5 days for 8 hours and 4 for 8 hours. The work production was basically the same. I'll try to find the links to it.

It kind of makes sense. When you have less time (32 hours) you are more focused and spend less time online or taking breaks if you have deadlines to reach. I probably spend close to the 8 hour difference reading stuff online or taking breaks from work. I'm sure people browse sites like CF for the 8 hour difference. When you have less time for deadlines, you know you gotta haul it to make it.

I'm curious to see how other countries work like in England, Spain, etc?

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
For me personally, I need the structure. Having a routine helps me be the most productive employee I can be. Being in an office, with peers, and being able to work our way through difficult tasks together keeps me motivated. Working remotely would be difficult to keep a strong consistent work ethic throughout the day. I would be doing laundry, cleaning the house, making up meals. We have a baby on the way, so I would be trying to save that $$$ money and do our own child care too.
fair, though I'd argue having the flexibility to do those things you listed would be nice. I don't know your work schedule, but if you would replace that with time you aren't working (browsing websites, etc.) would those times be the same?

I had a remote job before and struggled with work ethic so I see where you are coming from. I think at least for me, I could handle it better now. It's not for everyone though.