Iowa State vs Tulane (NIVC Championship)

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Watched the post game awards ceremony and realized Jess is gone. Welled up.

• :oops: Followed you in your HS State runs and now you are off to see the world Jess. Thanks so much for being a Cyclone. You could of gone anywhere but you are a Loyal Daughter forever true. My best. Joe StClone.:(

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
Congratulations Cyclones! It was so much fun watching you play in this tournament!

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Christy finished the season with her 4th and 5th option at middle. Neither are even natural middles.

Amazing coaching job this year with all the adversity. Our available bench throughout this tournament? A freshman setter. That’s it.

THANK YOU JESS AND HANNAH!
Things got so bad that the freshman backup setter had to play middle blocker for one of the conference games.

The injuries definitely did derail the team's NCAA chances but they still ended up with a winning conference record and tonight's tourney title. Hopefully, next season's team with the incoming recruits can stay healthy and help close what is becoming an ever widening gap between Texas and Midwest VB powers such as Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Creighton and Missouri.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Probably the best way to end the season versus a one and done in the tourney. Glad that Jess got to end on a high note.

Had such high hopes for ISU volleyball's future when she was a freshman.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Nice win good to go out on a high and get the underclasspeople experience of having to grind, work sweat out post season play when you are really a zombie physically and mentally. Happy Finals! Way to go Jess and HB - Now Jess can go play in the sand :)

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Great way to go out given the circumstances. Watching Jess during the tourney was a lot of fun. My daughter commented that she would never want to dig any of Jess' hits!

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Good to see Jess and Hannah go out together. I think they are pretty good friends. Grace could not make it unscathed in that final month.

I think since Jess committed (~2013) there have been 11 players leave and three in? (Off the top of my head: Hudson, Wilms, Grace(?), Berta, Hilmer, Vondrak, Kiel, Phillips, Malloy, Fruechte and Bowman-sure there are more.) That is a little over 2 per year leaving so we'll see what shapes up in 2019.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Good to see Jess and Hannah go out together. I think they are pretty good friends. Grace could not make it unscathed in that final month.

I think since Jess committed (~2013) there have been 11 players leave and three in? (Off the top of my head: Hudson, Wilms, Grace(?), Berta, Hilmer, Vondrak, Kiel, Phillips, Malloy, Fruechte and Bowman-sure there are more.) That is a little over 2 per year leaving so we'll see what shapes up in 2019.

Did a quick research where they ended up
Jenelle Hudson - Long Beach State
Hannah Wilms - switching to Field & Track at ISU
Branen Berta - CU - actually left CU in Oct 2017 - now asst. coach at Momentum Volleyball Club
Sami Hilmer - Unknown (just probably left the team but I think she still studied at ISU)
Natalie Vondrak: Wayne State
Anna Kiel - Northwestern College
Abby Phillips - Washington State
Andie Malloy - Baylor (graduate transfer to Nebraska after BU)
Maria Fruechte - Winona State
Remi Bowman - University of Indianapolis

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Did a quick research where they ended up
Jenelle Hudson - Long Beach State
Hannah Wilms - switching to Field & Track at ISU
Branen Berta - CU - actually left CU in Oct 2017 - now asst. coach at Momentum Volleyball Club
Sami Hilmer - Unknown (just probably left the team but I think she still studied at ISU)
Natalie Vondrak: Wayne State
Anna Kiel - Northwestern College
Abby Phillips - Washington State
Andie Malloy - Baylor (graduate transfer to Nebraska after BU)
Maria Fruechte - Winona State
Remi Bowman - University of Indianapolis

Some big time talent there. Malloy and Bowman were purported "game changers". Tried to follow Bowman's career and found her as unnamed #19 in a U. of Indianapolis team photo with no stats or mention of her ever playing.

Bowman's image later popped up in a William Jewell College (Missouri) team shot and promptly vanished after one season. She's a phantom as far as college volleyball goes, seemingly lost to herself.

On Edit: She stayed at UofIndy one season (2016) and never made her way to W. Jewell.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Some big time talent there. Malloy and Bowman were purported "game changers". Tried to follow Bowman's career and found her as unnamed #19 in a U. of Indianapolis team photo with no stats or mention of her ever playing.

Bowman's image later popped up in a William Jewell College (Missouri) team shot and promptly vanished after one season. She's a phantom as far as college volleyball goes, seemingly lost to herself.

On Edit: She stayed at UofIndy one season (2016) and never made her way to W. Jewell.

Out of that list, only Malloy's departure had significant negative impact to the W-L record IMO. Bowman's personal issues really derailed her college career. I was aware of homesickness at ISU, maybe there was other stuff as well. Phillips ended up in the Washington State rotation as a DS on their Sweet 16 team this season.

The transfer list does however reflect potential missed opportunities to have recruited other players who ended up elsewhere and contributed at Power 5 programs, especially setters.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: StClone

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I thought there were high expectations too for Kiel and Vondrak.
Malloy's departure was unexpected especially going to Baylor (whom I don't think was a good team then).