Who made the better hire KU or KSU?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Who made the better hire KU or KSU

• KU with miles

Votes: 34 13.5%
  • KSU with klieman

Votes: 218 86.5%

• Total voters

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Not sure where you're getting your K-State reaction. Yes, millennials are, for the most part, in a social media circle jerk. What's new? They always want instant fame and gratification. But overall, this announcement is being met with guarded optimism to full enthusiasm. Nationally, I've heard nothing but positives. This is not Ohio State, it's K-State.
Pick any KSU message board and there is a lot of negative reactions out there. One even has a poll up where eating human poop is winning by a 3 to 1 margin over Klieman being the next head coach.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
K-State with Klieman and it's not even close IMO. Klieman took what Bohl built at NDSU and not only maintained it, but built his own legacy to the tune of 3 FCS championships in 4 years (and maybe 4 in 5, depending what happens this year). Plus he's been able to outrecruit several midwestern FBS schools at times, not to mention his NDSU teams regularly beat FBS teams when they dare play his team. The only question is if he can do the same at a midwestern FBS school, because wildly successful coaches at an FCS school doesn't always translate to success at a FBS school. Hell, it doesn't always translate from Go5 to P5.

On the surface Les Miles seems slam dunk for KU, as this was a guy that won a title and coached for another at LSU, but there's an argument that he wildly underperformed at LSU, considering the kind of recruit that naturally goes there - a kind of recurit he likely won't get at KU, even if he works his ass off for it. I don't think KU fan can look at what he did at LSU and get excited that he'll do that at KU, because 1. what he did in his last 5 years at LSU wasn't that impressive, considering the talent, and 2. they're not getting that kind of talent in Lawrence. I think you have to look at what he did at OSU before that, a much more comparable program, and it was okay, the kind of performance that would play well at KU (or even ISU pre-CMC), but considering the T. Boone Pickens $$$ and what Gundy did with that program after he left, was it really that impressive?

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Klieman no doubt, and he was a stepped improvement from Bohls.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Before CMC became coach at ISU I thought Klieman may have been a decent fit here. I always thought a smashmouth ball control team at ISU could neutralize the high flying fast tempo Big 12. The Vampire did it with KSU so I thought that was our model. CMC isnt terribly far off.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Absolutely KSU. With the transition to air raid offenses all over the place, there is an opportunity for a true power football power in the Midwest. I think he'll be able to recruit the area well and be a thorn in our side again.

The trick for developing programs is to be different than the rest of your conference. The Big12 has setup their defenses to stop the spread. A NDSU type team probably won't win the conference, but it'll have a say in who does.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Absolutely KSU. With the transition to air raid offenses all over the place, there is an opportunity for a true power football power in the Midwest. I think he'll be able to recruit the area well and be a thorn in our side again.

The trick for developing programs is to be different than the rest of your conference. The Big12 has setup their defenses to stop the spread. A NDSU type team probably won't win the conference, but it'll have a say in who does.
Thats the trick? To what? What Power 5 team is winning their conference that way? It might score you one big h2h win against a good team but that is a recipe for middle of the pack.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I’ll take KSU’s hire. I have no faith that Miles has the energy or desire to rebuild what may be the worst power conference program.

There are actually a couple Big 10 programs that are worse, but KU is not good, and not going to be good next year. They loose 5 starters on offense and 5 starters on defense and a place kicker. Flipping a dozen 2 star guys is not going to get it done.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Thats the trick? To what? What Power 5 team is winning their conference that way? It might score you one big h2h win against a good team but that is a recipe for middle of the pack.

Wisconsin has competed for the Big10 playing that way.

My pointpis that it's going to what hard to re-establish a team in Mannhattan Kansas by playing the same style as Texas and OU because they're always going to have better athletes. If you can't get those guys, you have to do something different. With the Big12 moving to 5 dbacks and coverage LBs, I think a team could do well with a power running approach. Control the clock, wear down a defense and frustrate teams that are used to getting a lot of possessions each game. You're right that it's probably not a recipe for conference titles, but it's a recipe for 7 to 9 wins a year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
KSU. That's a chance for sustained success.

Miles is riding in to the sunset and will get one last pile of cash as he goes.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
KU has already landed the former Auburn OC and kept their best recruiting assistant. Kansas now has massive recruiting ties in SEC country. Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama and Georgia. They are also already landing the best in-state recruits now too.

KU will be in a bowl game next year and will be in a good position to land their long term coach when Miles decides he is done 3-5 years from now.

kansas has 1 commit from a Kansas player that k-state offered. 1.

Reactions: Acylum

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
KU has already landed the former Auburn OC and kept their best recruiting assistant. Kansas now has massive recruiting ties in SEC country. Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama and Georgia. They are also already landing the best in-state recruits now too.

KU will be in a bowl game next year and will be in a good position to land their long term coach when Miles decides he is done 3-5 years from now.
I'd be willing to bet you a good chunk on money you will not be in a bowl game next year. Until Kansas fixes their facilities and gets caught up with the rest of the conference on that, you're going to struggle to recruit talent. We'll see if you're able to develop the talent youre able to get...

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
KU made a really good hire for KU. Les Miles is a respected coach that has done it all before and done it well. Just his name alone will help the Hawks fundraising efforts to remodel or replace their tomb of a stadium. Now if they can just get excited enough to put 30,000 people in it on a regular basis come fall.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
KU made a really good hire for KU. Les Miles is a respected coach that has done it all before and done it well. Just his name alone will help the Hawks fundraising efforts to remodel or replace their tomb of a stadium. Now if they can just get excited enough to put 30,000 people in it on a regular basis come fall.
30k is optimistic

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't see either hire working out. I don't think Miles truly knows what he's getting himself into and Klieman won't have any of the advantages he had at NDSU. I don't think the average fan realizes how big of a jump up this is.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
KU just hired Texas Tech's best recruiter in WR coach Emmett Jones, who has great ties into the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think Miles will have more immediate success because of his cachet, but that'll only take him so far. Strong start and then the program will fizzle in a few years. Tough to win consistently at a place where nobody cares about the program.

I'm not convinced either hire will work out in the long run. The only guy who has ever won at KSU just left the building, so Klieman will have to prove it. I'll give him benefit of the doubt because of what he was able to accomplish at NDSU. But it sounds like he has an uphill battle in winning over a large portion of the fanbase there.