30 for 30: 42 to 1

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I had no idea Buster took a 9 count in this fight.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Mike was blowing out guys so bad when this fight came up, there was no way we were spending money on this pay per
View. Went bowling with friends and we didn’t believe the guy that told us Buster knocked out Mike. Crazy.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
As much as I despise ESPN, I have to admit this series (30 for 30) has resulted in some very fine television journalism. Every episode I have watched has been uniformly excellent.

Totally agree. Most of the time it's not ESPN doing the films. They are just the outlet for the films. I have not watched a bad one yet. Seems like every 30/30 is something I wanted to know about or watch behind the scenes on what was happening.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Watched this in college with about 20 drunk dudes. We went CRAZY!

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The only thing that sucked about this, was the lack of handheld video in the early 90s. Would have been great to see some more training clips of Douglas in the gym and what he was doing to prepare. I knew the story thoroughly and was still glued to the screen.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The only thing that sucked about this, was the lack of handheld video in the early 90s. Would have been great to see some more training clips of Douglas in the gym and what he was doing to prepare. I knew the story thoroughly and was still glued to the screen.
He looked in good shape. Even during those running segments.

Off topic and to not get political all I could think about his manager is that the hat looked a MAGA hat. He was still wearing it today.

Also thought when Buster went back to Tokyo, he looked like the Notorious BIG with the white suit, fedora, and sunglasses.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Someone fill me in as to the back story here in terms of why Tyson lost. Did Douglas just out train/scheme/perform him? Or did Mike change something about his training that led to the defeat?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What time was it on here since it was in Tokyo?
It was at night, if I remember right. Maybe there was a delay but we sure as hell didn't know the result until we saw it. We may have been day drinking. :)

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Someone fill me in as to the back story here in terms of why Tyson lost. Did Douglas just out train/scheme/perform him? Or did Mike change something about his training that led to the defeat?

In my opinion Mike had lost his way. Fired Kevin Rooney. New trainers, Don King. No focus. Buster wanted it more. The people Tyson surrounded himself at the time were just bad people and bad trainers

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I wouldn't say there was any out scheming. Buster trained very hard and had a great fight.
It was funny hearing his trainer sit there reminiscing about the fight and saying after the first round that Buster wasn't just going to beat him, he was going to kick Tyson's ***.

Reactions: throwittoblythe