*** Official Southern VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Haliburton was awesome tonight, and was able to get the assist record because he was also able to score. When guys have to guard your point guard and also help on dribble drive there are going to be a lot of easy shots for guys that get the passes. ISU shot those opens shots way better than they did on Thursday, but guys were not this open then either.

Really can't wait for Condett to put on 20 pounds of muscle. Dude really changed the game when he got in there. Southern was driving in and taking shots without hesitation in there before he got in. They were really thinking about their shots at the end after George swatted 4 of them away.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Some negative Nancy stuff. We are soft in the middle. Post defense and rebounding is a concern. Probably a by product of playing small but I think Iowa exposed some flaws that we'll have issues with in B12 play.

Thought Lard anchored the post some but still has issues with "fouls". Really would like Prohm to play Lard and MJ at the same time more. Post defense might be an issue until Young comes back.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Some negative Nancy stuff. We are soft in the middle. Post defense and rebounding is a concern. Probably a by product of playing small but I think Iowa exposed some flaws that we'll have issues with in B12 play.

Thought Lard anchored the post some but still has issues with "fouls". Really would like Prohm to play Lard and MJ at the same time more. Post defense might be an issue until Young comes back.

Jacobson works really hard. But when he is playing big, muscular players in the post, he is working so hard just to maintain his defensive position that he can't get into rebounding position after the shot goes up. That leaves room and lanes for the opponent to sneak in for offensive rebounds.

Nothing new here, but ISU needs to work on rebounding. Tonight they got caught a couple of times where a perimeter shooter got his own offensive rebound because the ISU defender took off for a fast break. In general, our guys are very "compact" when they rebound...narrow base, arms not extended...which leaves space for the opponent to get offensive rebounds.

Congrats to Tyrese Halliburton on setting the assist record!

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I am sure you will be in the minority on this board, but Halliburton is better in every way then NWB.

Fantastic game by Halliburton! He's going to be fun to watch fro 4 years!
However, I'm not ready to write off NWB or expect TH to perform to the the same level vs Big 12 competition. We'll need Nick.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Didn't watch the game but want to get a quality gif for each player on the team so if there are any solid one from the tonight post them in here.

Got ones for THT, Conditt, IA - game have solid ones from MJ and Shayok. Need some Babb and Halliburton - sounds like based on him getting the assist record he should have some possibilities from tonight.

maybe the behind-the-back on his last assist?

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Good win over a totally over-matched opponent. Some random thoughts:

Halliburton, obviously, is excellent.

Conditt has a great future and will challenge for the all time block record at ISU.

Lard had great position and/or was wide open and was missed repeatedly.

Lard with 7 minutes in a 40 pt win? WTF?? He again got 5 minutes in the first half- he was playing hard and doing well. What's to be gained playing Jacobson 15 min. in the first half of that game? It was a blowout from 10 min in. Sure, Cam ended up with 4 fouls, but the last 2 were total horse **** (the loudest the crowd got all night was booing his 3rd foul) and who cares if he fouls out?

As the Iowa game showed, we need to figure out Jacobson and Lard together for times. When will there be a time with less to lose? I just don't get it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Agree with the bolded but maybe it's just not working in practice or whatever so far.

I think having Young back helps the defense and rebounding in the middle. Otherwise yeah anyone would just follow Iowa's plan of piling in for the put back.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Conditt has a great future and will challenge for the all time block record at ISU.

Lard with 7 minutes in a 40 pt win? WTF?? He again got 5 minutes in the first half- he was playing hard and doing well. What's to be gained playing Jacobson 15 min. in the first half of that game? It was a blowout from 10 min in. Sure, Cam ended up with 4 fouls, but the last 2 were total horse **** (the loudest the crowd got all night was booing his 3rd foul) and who cares if he fouls out?

As the Iowa game showed, we need to figure out Jacobson and Lard together for times. When will there be a time with less to lose? I just don't get it.

I know he was injured and had a setback but it feels a little similar to when it took so long for Young to get in two years ago when it was very apparent that ISU just needed someone in the middle to cog things up and get get a bucket every now and then.

At some point the best way for someone to get better is for them to play even if they make mistakes.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

If I had to guess, I’d say that there were a couple factors.

First, I think Coach Prohm wanted his key guys to get their play “right” before they left the floor.

Second, I think he’s making Lard and Talley earn their minutes back.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Fantastic game by Halliburton! He's going to be fun to watch fro 4 years!
However, I'm not ready to write off NWB or expect TH to perform to the the same level vs Big 12 competition. We'll need Nick.
I don't think anyone fully expects TH to have games like tonight all year or anywhere close to it but we should all be excited about him. And I don't think anyone expects NWB to struggle for the rest of the year like he has 3 out of the last 4.

But I do think people need to be honest with themselves about Nick. And since we're on the topic, I'll give my .02.

2 years ago, we were told he had the best NBA potential of anyone on the roster. Now in my mind, I'm thinking, "Okay, this guy is gonna be our 1st team All-conference stud by his senior year. A 15/8/8 type guy every night out." But the line between him quietly stuffing a stat sheet and completely disappearing is very fine. The beginning of last year he was really good, just looking at statistics. Granted... really bad team but let's ignore that. Even if he only scored 4 or 5 he would have 9 or 10 assists and several rebounds to make up for it... clearly having a positive impact on the game. Then his health started to show and he completely ghosted in some of the last few games he played last year before shutting it down. Which isn't surprising. His knee was just done.

I feel like I'm seeing that same trend this year... a trend of disappearing, except he's healthy (I think? ...as far as we know?). There were a couple times tonight his man just blew by him and it looked like Nick was playing in sand. I don't know. 5/4/4 in 31 minutes against Alabama St. isn't what you would typically expect from a guy you thought would be your stud. Neither is 0/3/3 in 26 minutes against Omaha. Or 8/3/2 in 40 minutes of a rivalry game on the road, where you should be able to lean on your veteran stud.

Bring on the dislikes, but Nick really doesn't seem to have improved to the extent that most of us expected. On a good day he does everything really well and you look at the box score and he has that 15/8/8 we (at least, I) hoped to be seeing regularly at this point in his career. On a bad day you forget he's even on the team. That isn't what I expected coming into his senior season. Nick probably isn't the guy that's gonna have the attitude of "Alright *******, gtfo of the way, I've got a ballgame to win." when we're down 5 with a 1:30 to go. Studs have that attitude. Georges had it. Monte, Naz, Kane, Ejim. They all had it. They were killers. They were our studs. That isn't Nick and I feel like people are still trying to convince themselves that Nick is that.

That doesn't mean he's not important... far from it. He's still a huge piece to this team and a very good player. If he were to get hurt I would scream loudly into my pillow at night. But he's not the stud people are trying to make him out to be.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If Prohm is trying to get Lard to earn his minutes again, I think Lard has been doing a good job proving the last 2 games that he deserves more minutes.
It's hard to play him with 4 fouls

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
It's hard to play him with 4 fouls

Exactly. He looked closer to form tonight I thought, but had some bad luck with fouls. When you pick them up like that, it is hard to not pull him. Then Conditt earned his run to close it out.

I loved seeing the young guys make effort to find him tonight.

Also, Terrance Lewis is starting to round into shape. He is more selective on the 3's, and he may be our best cutter towards the basket (aka getting to the rim without the ball in his hands).

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Not really. Play him until he hits his 5th. In a game with a low major it doesn’t matter if he fouls out. I’d rather him try to learn how to avoid foul trouble now than in 3 weeks.
He won't play the same way with 4 fouls.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
He won't play the same way with 4 fouls.
Like I said. Low major opponent. Doesn’t really matter if he does or doesn’t. It’s good experience for him to learn to play without fouling so much. This team is really going to need Lard a lot if we expect to reach anywhere close to our ceiling this year. Small ball all game long won’t work against a handful of teams in the Big 12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron