Little McCaffery's Status for Thursday

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I still question the wisdom of continuing to play. Knee issues tend to turn into early onset arthritis that leads to people being barely able to walk at 45 yrs old. The amount of body damage athletes incur is way above normal levels, and they pay dearly for it when they age. And kids (yeah, he's 21, but I'm three times that so he's a kid!) have a bad habit of not viewing things long term. Dude's not going pro, and he's tearing up his body while not going pro.

Guess that's just my POV though.
Can't disagree with that.....it's his choice though. I don't know the voracity of this because I picked it up on a message board :).....apparently the procedure he'd need to eliminate the pain would end his career. IE he could walk around pain free but wouldn't be good enough to play bball. Anyway, if true....that would help explain the decision.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Which is great, but at some point as his coach don't you have an obligation to step in? I'm sure Wiggy and Solo wanted to play last night as well. But at some point one is a 20 year old and the other is a grown adult tasked with making decisions about the best interests of the kids they are coaching. If his knee needs surgery he shouldn't be out there, and the argument for a medical hardship waiver cant be helped by selectively playing.
I think the bottom line is we don't really know all the details of the injury. Apparently it isn't structural and has something to do with the hardware placement of the previous surgery. Not really comparable to Wigginton and Young IMO.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Just to satisfy idle curiousity, can one of you Hawk fans tell me who two people are in this video? Specifically, the shorter, bald, black asst coach who made the comments to Prohm that set him off, and the older white guy in a grey suit, yellow tie that Prohm was walking next to after the game...and their roles in the program? TIA.

Edit - forgot to link video. :D

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/video/1391091267566

I think this is one of them

https://hawkeyesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1716&path=mbball

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Can we all agree that was a terrible charge call? One of about 5-6 in the game. Those refs had no idea what was a charge or a block.

I wouldn't say terrible, but I do feel it was more of a block than a charge. THT had way more glaring charges/pushoffs that weren't called.

ThriceHawk

Mar 21, 2018
So Shayok pokes at the ball twice without committing a foul and Lil Mac swings an elbow twice in self defense? Is that your interpretation?

Not at all. It was actually more than twice... Shayok first shoulders him for no reason, CM still holds the ball and does nothing.. just running out the clock, then Shayok swipes at the ball, CM pulls the ball away, Shayok swipes again, Conner pulls the ball away and raises an elbow, CM turns his back (again, holding the ball to run clock), and Shayok again tries to poke the ball from behind him. That's when CM finally give him a shove. Then Jacobsen swats the ball like a baby. It was totally classless by Shayok.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
There was no one at the game. Apparently one of the ISU announcers estimated about 10,000 total in Jack Trice against Drake. I don’t blame fans for not going, considering the opponent and the weather, but don’t try to play it off as if the attendance was anything other than paltry. There were lots of empty seats for the Kansas State game, too.
I wasn't playing anything other than saying there were a lot of us in the SEZ. More than I have seen previously. Back off jag off.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Not at all. It was actually more than twice... Shayok first shoulders him for no reason, CM still holds the ball and does nothing.. just running out the clock, then Shayok swipes at the ball, CM pulls the ball away, Shayok swipes again, Conner pulls the ball away and raises an elbow, CM turns his back (again, holding the ball to run clock), and Shayok again tries to poke the ball from behind him. That's when CM finally give him a shove. Then Jacobsen swats the ball like a baby. It was totally classless by Shayok.

Really weird situation for sure. Still not sure why they were poking at the ball down 14 with two seconds to play. Game is over.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

Classless like McCaffrey bumping into Jacobsen for no reason in the first scuffle?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

He did?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Shayok bumps past CM after the inbound, and CM turns his back and protects the ball. Shayok follows around him to his left side as MJ walks toward them. Shayok gives a half-hearted swipe across CM's front, and CM lifts his elbow high in an armbar. Looks like there was chirping, and Shayok and MJ are definitely using size intimidation. Shayok then reaches behind to touch the ball - I'm not even sure if he connected with it as CM immediately turns toward him and pushes him off with a forearm. Ref steps between from behind CM to separate him from Shayok. CM is looking at Shayok and holding the ball loosely, high in the crook of his left arm. MJ reaches over and pokes the ball straight through. If you slomo/pause, you can see MJ's hand coming out behind (and under) CM's upper arm. At that point CM forgets about Shayok (who is walking over to the bench) and faces off with MJ. Baer, who has been hovering, moves in to corral CM while TH performs the same service for Jacobsen. Jorbo starts to move in on MJ and Prohm gets there to separate them.

Like Dexter, I'm curious to know if there is past bad blood between CM & MJ at the AAU or high school levels. I don't know much about MJ's past attitudes, but CM was in the news more than once in the past for attitude issues both on and off the court. Plenty of chippiness at the end of that game, but to say this exchange is all on the Cyclones is absolute partisan ********.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Shayok bumps past CM after the inbound, and CM turns his back and protects the ball. Shayok follows around him to his left side as MJ walks toward them. Shayok gives a half-hearted swipe across CM's front, and CM lifts his elbow high in an armbar. Looks like there was chirping, and Shayok and MJ are definitely using size intimidation. Shayok then reaches behind to touch the ball - I'm not even sure if he connected with it as CM immediately turns toward him and pushes him off with a forearm. Ref steps between from behind CM to separate him from Shayok. CM is looking at Shayok and holding the ball loosely, high in the crook of his left arm. MJ reaches over and pokes the ball straight through. If you slomo/pause, you can see MJ's hand coming out behind (and under) CM's upper arm. At that point CM forgets about Shayok (who is walking over to the bench) and faces off with MJ. Baer, who has been hovering, moves in to corral CM while TH performs the same service for Jacobsen. Jorbo starts to move in on MJ and Prohm gets there to separate them.

Like Dexter, I'm curious to know if there is past bad blood between CM & MJ at the AAU or high school levels. I don't know much about MJ's past attitudes, but CM was in the news more than once in the past for attitude issues both on and off the court. Plenty of chippiness at the end of that game, but to say this exchange is all on the Cyclones is absolute partisan ********.

Very honest account. I still don't understand the need to be swiping at the ball, but whatever. Not big deal at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron