Butler vs Montgomery: Who does ISU need more next season?

Butler vs Montgomery: Who does ISU need more next season?

• Butler

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • Montgomery

Votes: 28 29.2%

• Total voters

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Who does ISU need more next season? Who will add the most value to next year's offense if we could assume only one of them will return for their senior season?

Make your case.

• Optimistic
Reactions: jsb

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Butler, he can stretch the field better than anyone we have had in a long time. We have Rb depth.

PsychedCy09

Jul 8, 2018
Hard to pick, Montgomery is probably my favorite but Hakeem will just be too hard to replace. Hall, Brock and Kene can be a good combo at RB next year. Still want both back though

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You forgot the “neither” option. It would be great to have either one, but should they choose to move on, this program is beyond where we “need” either one.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Butler, hands down. Running back should be fine with Hall and Brock coming in. Not sure there’s a guy that we’re gonna have that does what Hakeem does.

Hall and Brock (although highly rated) are completely unknown at this point. Remember Bo Williams was a 4 star back. everyone expected him to come in and play immediately. he didn't. With Croney, Lang, and KN all back the'll have to be very impressive to get carries.

all I'm saying is we as fans unequivocally hype up the next class over what's already on the roster (its what fans do), but the hype rarely meets expectations (as immediately as we unfairly expect). sometimes it does and there are examples like Lazard, but with experienced, proven, upper classmen ahead of them, I'm not expecting them to be like DM was his freshman year. sometimes it happens. but rarely.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored and 83cy

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
You forgot the “neither” option. It would be great to have either one, but should they choose to move on, this program is beyond where we “need” either one.

semantics. its just hypothetical. but for your enjoyment (hypothetically), hows about I rephrase the question for you? If ISU is to compete for a national championship next season (again its hypothetical, I don't think they will), who does ISU need more to go undefeated and beat Bama for the title?

I would argue it is safe to say that if both go pro, ISU would have essentially a 0% shot to even come close. With both of them back there is a tiny chance. Which one would increase ISU's odds more? Butler or DM?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
DM for sure. Not impressed with our back-up RBs and what they showed behind our OL. Only DM was able to grind out tough yards with this OL and while next year's OL MIGHT be the best, 2 true frosh and our other RBs are less than battle-tested.

With Purdy we know we have a guy that can put the ball on the money.

That said DM NEEDS to go as he's at the top of the game while HB could most likely make a lot more money if he invested 1 more year in college.

I really hope we develop an average OL for next year.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Problem is Montgomery is gone, he needs to go. Shelf life is too short.

Butler needs to stay. Right now he's J'Mon Moore the Packer's 4th round pick that would of long been cut if they hadn't invested a 4th round pick.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Definitely Butler. He's just too much of a mismatch. Look back at how many throws were just put up and let Butler get it.
DM will be hard to replace but, as long as the offensive line actually improves we should be alright at RB

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Problem is Montgomery is gone, he needs to go. Shelf life is too short.

Butler needs to stay. Right now he's J'Mon Moore the Packer's 4th round pick that would of long been cut if they hadn't invested a 4th round pick.

DM simply needs to go. I thought he might be down graded by the pros because he really has had a pretty marginal season compared to what he/we were hoping for. But if the pro football review is still very high on him, he should go and make some money for his family.

Reactions: khardbored

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
Who does ISU need more next season? Who will add the most value to next year's offense if we could assume only one of them will return for their senior season?

Make your case.
I'm guessing your favorite movie is Sophie's Choice.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
DM should go for reasons already mentioned. Think with WRs graduating & the underclassmen declaring (& especially if more continue todo so) & this year’s group of WR’s is looking deep for the draft. Butler sticks around, works on his craft & improves (catches more of the ‘easier’ ones he dropped this past season) and he sets up well for after next season while also having a full season catching balls from Purdy.

• Agree
Reactions: CySmurf

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron