Ok here is the never been to Pullman in your life tour

Cougfan99

Dec 2, 2018
I don't remember a Go Cougs barn - that must be after my time. I do remember a small diner with great ice cream where a lot of us stopped on the way back and forth from the coast. IIRC, it was in Colfax, where you made the decision to go north to Sprague and get on 90 or keep heading west to the river to get on 90.

The Go Cougs Barn is really cool. It's been there for about 15 years or so, its 17 miles from Colfax. It is actually an asparagus holding shed. It is huge. The guy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've never been to Pullman, but spent some time in the Tri Cities area for work. That was a neat part of the country. Appreciate the write up:)

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
If the cougar women were not so good looking it would be a problem. The talent at WSU does not disappoint.

"Cougar Women" is actually pretty funny in a way as Mom's Weekend at WSU is off the charts bananas. It is the wildest party weekend of the year. WSU is a total feeder school and the Moms come back and relieve their years there all in 3 days. The bar scene that weekend is something to behold.

UnripeSomeHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Pullman, Wa(Originally named 3 Forks as the Palouse River, Paradise Creek and Missouri Flat Creek all meet there) Named changed to Pullman by towns people who thought if they did George Pullman the train car guy would send them some money.

Elevation on Main street 2395
Top of Campus Elevation at the Stadium is 2600 ft (you can tell the senior girls by the size of their calves)

Population 31,000(21,000) are students, so no one lives there in the summer.

300 miles from Seattle(150 on the freeway last 150 on a 2 lane road with towns as small as 50people ), 78 miles south of Spokane, 8 miles west of Idaho.

The Snake River is 18 miles south and before the cold weather comes, usually like the 5th week of school this place is crazy. Has a big beach and cliff diving areas.

Downtown is 3 blocks long, a one way street going west with 2 stop lights.

The town is situated on three hills, Sunnyside, Military, and College with downtown set on the river between all three.

The summer climate is great, very seldom over 90 in the zero humidity. Winters can be brutally cold and snowy, causing great spills on the ice as everything is on a hill. If you never fell on, "the hill you never went to class".

Home of the National Lentil Festival, as so much of it is grown on the Palouse, next to wheat.

The best way I can describe Pullman and it's location is if the state did not grant them a college in 1891, to this day it would just be a storage place for combines. One of the main reasons Pullman was chosen was due to the massive aquifer underneath the area.

Most Famous Alum:

Edward R. Murrow, Keith Jackson and Paul Allen.

The school logo was designed by a student in 1938, he changed it when when WSU went from WSC, to WSU. He sold the rights to the design to WSU for 1 dollar.

The Fight Song was written in 1919 by two students as a class project. It is the 1st thing your learn at orientation and the last thing your do after turning your tassel at graduation.

Pullman unlike that place in Seattle where you live with your mommy and daddy, it might as well be a community college. Pullman is our home for 4, 5, and sometimes 6 years of our lives and I am guessing like your fan base the love for Ames is the same. Almost all the students live on the west side of mountains and going home even 2 times a semester is tough.

Someone in the WSU marketing department 2 years ago made a video and it is set to the Andy Gammer song, "We Always Find our Way Back Home" the person should be knighted. It is like the song was made for us and it is played at WSU homes games during the 2nd quarter. WSU fans will go nuts if this is played at a bar in San Antonio.

This is a great video it is long, but it is a person driving from Pullman to Seattle, the topographical change within the 300 miles is just amazing. There is literal nothing for 250 miles of it. I still cannot phatom what USC and UCLA players think when they arrive here, maybe that is why WSU has won 16 of the last 18 at home. At the 3:12 mark you can stop and see how we know we are 89 miles from school.

I can put a lot more here, as just wasting time at work.

Spokane Cyclone here - don't forget to add the high number of balcony headers!!!! More than our/your fair share of alcohol induced heroics (deaths) due to "railings not engineered to withstand drunken shenanigans"....

And the Coog is a great watering hole too.

Cougfan99

Dec 2, 2018
Is tree hugging a season?

At Western Washington University it is. This is where about 25% of the UW fan base goes to school as they can't get into UW. The other 75% are community college drop outs. Their biggest homer in Seattle is a radio personality named Dave Mahler(AKA Softy) he never set foot on UW campus and never graduated graduated from Bellevue Community College. Just a total, "Jack Husky" that is what we call their fans. They all make fun of you for gong to WSU but couldn't get a correspondence program to shovel up manure for a Veterinarian

Last edited:

Cougfan99

Dec 2, 2018
Spokane Cyclone here - don't forget to add the high number of balcony headers!!!! More than our/your fair share of alcohol induced heroics (deaths) due to "railings not engineered to withstand drunken shenanigans"....

And the Coog is a great watering hole too.

The Coug, size of a postage stamp, great burgers and spilled beer everywhere as no one can move.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I like how the streets and sidewalks in Pullman are right next to each other. In Iowa we waste so much space having a huge unused grass strip between the street and sidewalk. #nerdalert

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
At Western Washington University it is. This is where about 25% of the UW fan base goes to school as they can't get into UW. The other 75% are community college drop outs. Their biggest homer in Seattle is a radio personality named Dave Mahler(AKA Softy) he never set foot on UW campus and never graduated graduated from Bellevue Community College. Just a total, "Jack Husky" that is what we call their fans. They all make fun of you for gong to WSU but couldn't get a correspondence program to shovel up manure for a Veterinarian

They are known as Tavern Hoks here. Most UofI alum are from Illinois most local hok fans can't spell alum.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Well, this sounds familiar...

We like to say U of Iowa's engineering program is where they teach Iowans to drive trains.

Reactions: Cougfan99

Cougfan99

Dec 2, 2018
The snake river 18 miles from campus

How can you go wrong with beer pong table in the middle of a river?

CyTron

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
NWI
I took my kid on a college visit to Wazzu 2 years ago. It definitely had an old town feel. The people were very nice around town. Had lunch at a diner and got to talking with guy from town. We were wearing our ISU hoodies and he said something about Walden. I was unkind in my reply only for the guy to tell me he was good friends with Jim. I apologized quickly but he said it was Jim’s fault for leaving the toughest coaching job in DI to go to the 2nd toughest job. I couldn’t argue with him.