*** Official Drake VS #23 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Agree. I don't see any way that the Alamo picks us over WV now. They'd be too afraid we'd get blown out.

And I don't know that we'll finish the season ranked now either. We sure don't deserve to be, that's for sure.

I fully expect CMC to blame the field conditions for this, and that is total BS! We'll probably have new fake Field Turf next year after this now, and that's BS too.

You are just the worst. A house full of teenaged girls aren’t as emo as you.

You should feel bad for being like this.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Team, especially the D, has regressed since the end of the Tech game. We played a lot of guys the 1st half of the year on D and thus was looking good for not wilting down the stretch. Nope.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Play calling from the start was just plain bad. In those conditions the offense has an advantage and we have superior athletes. For some reason, Campbell forgot that and instead tried to run up the middle 77% of the time. Good thing we don't play again until the end of the month. I'm pretty butt-hurt about this game. Hats off to Drake, though. They came to win.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I wonder if anyone on the team(players and coaches) learned anything today? Also, it’s a dood thing that DM came to play today, just like he does every week

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
I realize this sucked but...

1) We obviously didn't come to play and honestly, pretty much as expected
2) They obviously came to play, pretty much as expected
3) There is zero doubt we have the better athletes and that is why they have P5 scholarships
4) Field conditions took away 99% of the athletic advantage

We couldn't cut, make guys miss, run crisp routes, etc. It became a body on body slop fest where being in position and making tackles were going to win the day.

Kene may have had a couple of KO's returned for TD's if he could cut at all. Montgomery was basically unable to do anything but run forward and try and break tackles. Our speed was completely negated because we were basically playing on ice. It forced eveyone to play at 2/3 speed but for Drake that doesn't change their game as much.

No excuse to have a game that tight but that was far from normal playing conditions. I think we still go to Alamo.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Most likely. It should anyway. WV looks like the more competitive team right now than us by a large margin.

What a stupid idea to play this game. Especially when your head coach isn't going to go out there and call the plays needed to win the game versus going all vanilla. Just dumb.

You do realize that isn’t what bowls care about, right? No you don’t. Would require critical thinking skills.

Btw, genius Grier isn’t playing the bowl game for wvu either. San Antonio is a tourist town. They would far more prefer 30-40K from Iowa State than the 10-15K from West Virginia. Again, critical thinking skills are tough for some.

Reactions: Cyclones01

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
I wonder if anyone on the team(players and coaches) learned anything today? Also, it’s a dood thing that DM came to play today, just like he does every week

Based on 6 straight games of the exact same thing. Going with Campbell not learning anything...

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Did we just piss away the Alamo Bowl?
in game i thought yes. but now that the dust has settled, i say no. we beat them head-to-head, are the 3rd place team in the league, and will sell all of our tickets and then some.

today's game was just a weird, weather induced, blip. also, not a lot of people will even notice our game today at a national level.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I realize this sucked but...

1) We obviously didn't come to play and honestly, pretty much as expected
2) They obviously came to play, pretty much as expected
3) There is zero doubt we have the better athletes and that is why they have P5 scholarships
4) Field conditions took away 99% of the athletic advantage

We couldn't cut, make guys miss, run crisp routes, etc. It became a body on body slop fest where being in position and making tackles were going to win the day.

Kene may have had a couple of KO's returned for TD's if he could cut at all. Montgomery was basically unable to do anything but run forward and try and break tackles. Our speed was completely negated because we were basically playing on ice. It forced eveyone to play at 2/3 speed but for Drake that doesn't change their game as much.

No excuse to have a game that tight but that was far from normal playing conditions. I think we still go to Alamo.

Yeah, and in games where we are the better team, Campbell has a definite tendency toward conservative play calling. Drake took chances all day, and managed to hit a bunch without the big mistakes that can come from that.