All Big 12 Awards

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
By the numbers nobody made big plays like Butler. Because I have eyes nobody was harder to tackle usually requiring 2-6 defenders. His totals would be there if he had one extra big game and he'd have done it with far fewer targets and catches.

Seriously, did anybody see a Big 12 WR all year and think "wow, if we had him instead of Butler we'd be better". No way.

No, but that's not how it works.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'll give you Wallace and Brown, but Sills? We held him to 2 catches for 22 yards.

A guy with 15 TD catches is going to be a first teamer. That's just going to happen, especially when they were favored to be one before the season. I just really don't have a huge problem with those guys being on the first team. I'm not saying I'd trade for any of them.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Guys above him suck at explosive plays and are very easy to tackle in comparison.

He’s not perfect but he’s the best in the league.

Hollywood Brown sucks at explosive plays? Are you kidding me?

Reactions: Doc

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Confrence Games Only:
Player...............Games....Yards.........Att.......TD..............Ave
Mont ISU...........7............796............158.......9.............5.04
Barn KSU...........9...........1127...........205......11...........5.50
Hill OkSt............7............650............124.......5............5.24
Pooka KU............9............837...........128.......4.............6.54

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I would almost guarantee that CMC would rather have it like this to make it easier to light a fire under some asses and keep kids humble.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Pooka over Purdy for Fresman of the year? C'mon. One lead his team from a 1-3 start to 3rd in the conference. The other's coach got fired.

Probably happened because OU and TCU didn't see Purdy play live and he looked pretty rattled in the Texas game.

Pooka did have the best YPC while playing on the worst (by far) team in the conference. Kind of reminds me of what Troy Davis did while playing for ISU.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
First team vs second team is always going to be debated. Votes get split among the coaches and strange results sometimes happen.

I think we should be looking at it differently. We had 8 out of our possible 24 starters on first and second team. That is one third of our starters making all conference in a conference loaded with talent. I doubt that has happened before at Iowa State.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
All conference first and second team by school...

Oklahoma - 11
Iowa State - 8
West Virginia - 8
Texas - 7
TCU - 6
Kansas - 6 (4 plus Pooka x 2)
Oklahoma State - 5
Texas Tech - 5
Kansas State - 3
Baylor - 3
This is a good take on it and feels better. For those upset about 1st vs 2nd team (I agree its BS in a few spots) I think something can be said for "perception vs. reality" The old perception of ISU still exists. The recent players and CMC are changing that perception daily, but lets be real, two very good years will not overcome 30 years of history. Seeing the perception change, slowly, is probably what I enjoy the most.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Confrence Games Only:
Player...............Games....Yards.........Att.......TD..............Ave
Mont ISU...........7............796............158.......9.............5.04
Barn KSU...........9...........1127...........205......11...........5.50
Hill OkSt............7............650............124.......5............5.24
Pooka KU............9............837...........128.......4.............6.54

Good breakdown. Montgomery and Barnes were so far ahead of the other two.

I thought Barnes had the more impressive season but i wouldn't trade ours for anyone in the league.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I would almost guarantee that CMC would rather have it like this to make it easier to light a fire under some asses and keep kids humble.
Good thing you said “almost”. Do you really think he likes telling recruits, “Come to ISU, where you probably won’t be first team all conference no matter how darn good you are!”

Guess we’d better just kick tail and wrap up all the first team spots next year!

*as far as Eisworth—that’s some really good company in the secondary!

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
If you look at the conference stats it's not terribly surprising. The awards tend to follow them fairly close, Justice Hill is a weird one though. Eisworth was our top tackler.

Butler missing out on first team is a head scratcher, he dominated week in week out.

Even down 2 games Montgomery was pretty comparable to Pooka, and is just a much better back.

Peavy continues to be overlooked.

Harvey/Bailey/Lima not making it is a bit of surprise unless you're just looking at raw stats.

When I looked at the PFF All-America list, I saw 5 Big 12 first teamers: OU's Murray and Brown, KSU's Risner, and ISU's Montgomery and Peavy. Three of those were selected by coaches as All-Big 12 first team; two were not. You all know who the two are who were not!!

Coach voting for All-Big 12 teams probably has its cynical side, as: I will vote for player X on team Y who is good but not deserving of the highest level in hopes my player then gets elevated to 1st team over a deserving player.