Jay Jordan: A baseline analysis on the offense in 2018 (part 1)

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Ok, I haven't clicked yet. But I feel like a Jay Jordan piece that has a Part 1 is a little intimidating. Like here comes War & Peace.

• Funny
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
After reading Jay's article, it seemed Purdy and the staff recognized and exploited the single coverage better in the K-state game.

I think the phantom hold on Newell was officials not identifying the correct guilty party.

The conclusion isn't hinted at in the article, but I'd argue this team needs an offensive coordinator.

The outside run has been underutilized by this staff since they got here. It's a pity because the receivers mostly block pretty well on the edge. Lazard seemed to especially enjoy blocking last year.

Things will need to improve in many areas to maintain production when/if Montgomery and Butler go pro.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Very good/informational article.

My one argument would be youth again in 2019. It says ISU was physically not up to the task on both sides of the line in 2018 in a few games because of youth, then says 2019 is another year of youth.

On the OL in 2019, there will be 5 (6 if you count foster) returning starters, all but one will be Seniors (again, unless a younger player beats one out).

On the DL, 5 of the top 7 players will be RS Jr’s or older.

Not exactly youth, but I do get his point.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I love that Jay is so good at articulating what others of us have attempted to say for this past couple weeks. He is spot on that we motion out of strength more often than not. He is spot on that we do not run to the edge enough and have probably put some burdensome yards rather than easy yards on Montgomery as a result.

I appreciate Jay's work and hope he continues this for several more seasons!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The offense has kind of relied on out-talenting the defense with guys like Lazard, Butler, DM, etc. To an extent all offenses do, and it’s wise to exploit mismatches, but it can make things harder to execute imo.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'll read more later but yeah the offensive scheme is baffling at times. The opportunities to hit big are there in plain sight as is the opportunity to just get what's there in a shorter pass that simply gets a 1st down.

Not taking what's there was a problem vs. Iowa and TCU as well.

• Agree
Reactions: bthebutcher

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
After reading Jay's article, it seemed Purdy and the staff recognized and exploited the single coverage better in the K-state game.

I think the phantom hold on Newell was officials not identifying the correct guilty party.

The conclusion isn't hinted at in the article, but I'd argue this team needs an offensive coordinator.

The outside run has been underutilized by this staff since they got here. It's a pity because the receivers mostly block pretty well on the edge. Lazard seemed to especially enjoy blocking last year.

Things will need to improve in many areas to maintain production when/if Montgomery and Butler go pro.

I think he's hinted at it in other pieces. Jay has noted many of the same issues with the offense going back to last season.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
We need an OC bad. Campbell does a nice job for being on the sideline, but you really can't see $h*t from that angle. Definitely hurt us this season. Very excited to find out who we hire this off-season

This 100%. I know that there are a lot of fans that will point to this game or that play and say that the offense is in fine shape, but if you look at the Big 12 stat, ISU is near the bottom in a lot of the categories. This is with a good QB, a great RB, and several good WRs. The OL is still not there, but the offense simply does not attack defenses very well for the level of talent that is available.

I will also mimic that the runs to the outside are woefully underused. I love the quick pitch to the outside that seems to work virtually every time for 8-12 yards. Yet it was run half a dozen times this year.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ermahgerd!!! Jay Jordan article!!!!!!
ermahgerd.jpg

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I'd like to hear Jay's thoughts why we virtually eliminated passing to the RBs this season. I posted the stats compared to last season in another thread. That can help replace our poor rushing game.

I’m surprised we don’t run more screens to Montgomery like the Rams do to Gurley. Maybe we don’t have the o-line capabilities to do this but it seems like it could be effective

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Put me down for needing an OC. Campbell can manage the game. Need someone solely focused on managing the offense during the game and coming up with ways to atack the opposing team's defense and any adjustments they are doing.

Also put me down for hiring some more consultants to help the coaching staff scout the opposing team and prepare a game plan.

It can get pretty frustrating watching our offense not attack well known weaknesses on the other team.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Great stuff by Jay yet again. The observation about not using an initial read to call off a shift or motion is a great one.

I will disagree with Jay on the first play example on the stop route completion. Though the CB shows press and there is no safety over the top, right before the snap he goes into a bail. The route and read by Eaton and Purdy looks right to me in that situation.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron