Kingsbury Needs a Job...ISU Needs an OC....

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You mention one game; Texas. Montgomery's absence was a factor in that one half. But what about the other half? What about the other games where we struggled and shouldn't have?

As far as scheme, how did we not anticipate that UT would blitz 60% of the time? And how did we not have something prepared for when this happened? Especially knowing Montgomery was out.

But beyond that, why are our runs w/ #32 always designed to go between the tackles when most of his yards come when he bounces to the edge? Why are we not running more skinny posts and screens for Brock to have an outlet pass when Butler, Milton, etc are covered?

The solution is to hire you as OC. LOL. You run in the middle to set up plays to the outside. Keep them honest. O-Line did not play well. Purdy is a true Freshman at QB and learning. Maybe the staff had him aware of the blitzing and he didn’t execute like he should. He is a true Freshman for goodness sake. We are young but learning and continue to improve. We are 6-1 in our last 7 games. Now is not the time to do something radical like bringing an outsider OC like Kingsbury. Hiring a new OC does not guarantee success. Texas was at home and has a damn good team playing in the CCG. Don’t push the panic button and do something stupid because of one game.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think a lot of you have it wrong. Hiring Kingsbury would not alter our system. The system is Campbell's. It will stay here as long as Campbell is here. He will hire someone to come in and run his system. No matter who Campbell hires, they will bring a background with a variety of schemes, none of which are identical to what CMC is running here. Some will be closer than others, but that's not really the point.

Now, I'm not saying he needs to go out and hire KK. I'm saying whoever Campbell does hire will bring expertise on the offensive side of the ball but will still be required to run exactly what Campbell wants. You hire a guy that has a great mind and will make a great assistant coach.

This ain't Paul Rhoads team... hiring new guys that run a new system every 3 years.

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
The solution is to hire you as OC. LOL. You run in the middle to set up plays to the outside. Keep them honest. O-Line did not play well. Purdy is a true Freshman at QB and learning. Maybe the staff had him aware of the blitzing and he didn’t execute like he should. He is a true Freshman for goodness sake. We are young but learning and continue to improve. We are 6-1 in our last 7 games. Now is not the time to do something radical like bringing an outsider OC like Kingsbury. Hiring a new OC does not guarantee success. Texas was at home and has a damn good team playing in the CCG. Don’t push the panic button and do something stupid because of one game.

I think that you're just wanting to argue. I don't want Kliff, ever. And I'm not complaining about the surprise season we've had. I've been ecstatic with the unexpected fun this season has brought. But I do think we need an OC. And I hope that we're able to find a great one during the off-season that compliments Campbell's and Heacock's styles.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think that you're just wanting to argue. I don't want Kliff, ever. And I'm not complaining about the surprise season we've had. I've been ecstatic with the unexpected fun this season has brought. But I do think we need an OC. And I hope that we're able to find a great one during the off-season that compliments Campbell's and Heacock's styles.

I trust Campbell to make that decision. It is what Campbell thinks. Not what you think. Campbell has had an OC before. Manning was O-Line Coach as well as the OC. So Campbell will either give a person on staff the OC title as well as being a position coach. Or he will fire someone. Who should he fire?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I trust Campbell to make that decision. It is what Campbell thinks. Not what you think. Campbell has had an OC before. Manning was O-Line Coach as well as the OC. So Campbell will either give a person on staff the OC title as well as being a position coach. Or he will fire someone. Who should he fire?

Why are you wanting somebody fired? We have an open OC position. Have you been napping during this thread?

Reactions: khardbored

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Why are you wanting somebody fired? We have an open OC position. Have you been napping during this thread?

Heacock coaches Safeties as well as being the Defensive Coordinator. A new OC will definitely need to be a position coach as well. So if you want to bring in new OC then which offensive position coach gets the axe? Otherwise you are just giving the OC title to someone presently on staff. So who goes?

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I doubt Kingsbury is the answer. But I would prefer the team got an OC. I personally like the schemes. The shifting and unbalanced line looks gave several teams a lot of trouble during the middle of the season. I'm just worried that it takes too long to get things implemented. The offense wasn't great to start the year and also doesn't seem to have as many small, new wrinkles each week as you would hope.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I doubt Kingsbury is the answer. But I would prefer the team got an OC. I personally like the schemes. The shifting and unbalanced line looks gave several teams a lot of trouble during the middle of the season. I'm just worried that it takes too long to get things implemented. The offense wasn't great to start the year and also doesn't seem to have as many small, new wrinkles each week as you would hope.

I think the OLine started to gel during the middle of the season. They were very raw at the beginning and we were breaking in a freshman center in game 2. Once they started to play better as a unit the running game improved and Purdy was able to take off as the QB.

The entire OLine is back next year and should be better than they were at the end of this season. Another year of strength and conditioning should help them as well.
The biggest adjustment will likely be if we lose Montgomery, but I think we will do well even with a committee. It will help having a dynamic QB who can run and pass so defenses can't key ont he running back all the time.

• Agree
Reactions: Stormin

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Do we know who's been in the booth helping to call plays this season?
My assumption is that someone on staff gets the promotion and the OC title after the season.
My money is on Gasser or Golesh since they've known Campbell the longest and probably have most of the same philosophies.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
No David Montgomery in the first half. That is a huge weapon to not have in your arsenal. Texas is a very good team. We played at Texas. The Offensive Line is young and learning, but improving. We have everyone coming back on the O-Line. A new OC does not guarantee increased success.

What schemes should we be running? You said we should be running different schemes. Tell us.

Against Texas, the gameplan was flawed, we should have learned from the previous year and ran plays that would slow down their DL, who was just teeing off every play. Draw plays, RB screens, anything to keep their DL honest. We just stuck with the original gameplan and didn't make adjustments. Overall, the offense was good and improved throughout the year but the Texas and Iowa games, our OC was out coached by the opposing DC. There were very few adjustments in either game. You can argue we played right in to what both defenses wanted us to do.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Kingsburry is going to have his pick. USC/Bama/UNC etc etc etc etc. I doubt the Iowa State OC job comes in the top 50 of places he could land. Plus the dude is warm weather glory boy, that is why I think he ends up at USC as their coach has one season to keep his job.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Against Texas, the gameplan was flawed, we should have learned from the previous year and ran plays that would slow down their DL, who was just teeing off every play. Draw plays, RB screens, anything to keep their DL honest. We just stuck with the original gameplan and didn't make adjustments. Overall, the offense was good and improved throughout the year but the Texas and Iowa games, our OC was out coached by the opposing DC. There were very few adjustments in either game. You can argue we played right in to what both defenses wanted us to do.

Not disagreeing. O-Line did not play well that game. Just trying to figure out how giving someone on the present staff the title of OC solves everything. It is entirely possible that Campbell does not want to give out that title to elevate one person over another. Hell, we shouldn’t lose a game as long as we have the perfect game plan with perfect execution. Instead we are only 6-1 in our last 7 games.

And bringing in someone new means that someone on staff now gets the axe. Who goes?

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Heacock coaches Safeties as well as being the Defensive Coordinator. A new OC will definitely need to be a position coach as well. So if you want to bring in new OC then which offensive position coach gets the axe? Otherwise you are just giving the OC title to someone presently on staff. So who goes?

At this point I'd fire Houston, because Special Teams have been unfortunate. I anticipate that CMC is going to announce Golesh as OC, but hoping we find a Heacock caliber guy from the outside.

• Agree

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Well, it would be a surprise if no one left the staff.

• Winner