Iowa wrestling meet

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
Will there be any weight-by-weight preview for this dual? I know Iowa is the Heavy Favorite, but where do we stand chance to pick up points? 197, 133- I would love to see Gomez stick it to DeSanto.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Will there be any weight-by-weight preview for this dual? I know Iowa is the Heavy Favorite, but where do we stand chance to pick up points? 197, 133- I would love to see Gomez stick it to DeSanto.

197 will be tough if they send Jacob Warner out. I believe he majored Miklus last year.

133 would be a good win, probably a toss-up.

141 is probably a toss-up too, but Parker has lost to Vince Turk, who is their backup. However, Turk/Murin are pretty close, and a different matchup could mean a different result.

149 is possible, but Lugo would be the favorite.

If Stoll goes, we probably lose at HWT. If Costello goes, we would be the favorite in a 60/40~ tossup.

But again, this is all my opinion. We haven't performed well in toss-up matches against Iowa in the recent past, but that's why they wrestle the matches every year.

Reactions: Andegre

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
197 will be tough if they send Jacob Warner out. I believe he majored Miklus last year.

133 would be a good win, probably a toss-up.

141 is probably a toss-up too, but Parker has lost to Vince Turk, who is their backup. However, Turk/Murin are pretty close, and a different matchup could mean a different result.

149 is possible, but Lugo would be the favorite.

If Stoll goes, we probably lose at HWT. If Costello goes, we would be the favorite in a 60/40~ tossup.

But again, this is all my opinion. We haven't performed well in toss-up matches against Iowa in the recent past, but that's why they wrestle the matches every year.

The match we would be the favorite in would be 174 if Wilson is still wrestling. If Kem goes, that changes to a heavy underdog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andegre

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
125 - Lee vs Mackall - guaranteed 5 or 6 for Iowa. Won’t show anything in terms of gushing Mackall.

133 - Desanto vs Gomez - Desanto is much more proven in folk with a R12 finish last year and beating several highly ranked opponents. Gomez has all the talent, and Parker did beat Desanto last year. This is my match of the night. I think Gomez wins a tight one, and Desanto will not be happy.

141 - Murin vs Parker - another very good matchup. Murin is wrestling really well, and Parker has taken some losses including to Murin’s backup Turk. I’ll take Murin by 1-2 points.

149 - Lugo vs Degen - another great matchup. Two polar opposite styles. Lugo has more elite wins than Degen, but also has not looked great so far this year. Degen needs to weather the storm early. If he’s only down by 2 after the first I’ll take degen to win by decision.

157 - Young vs Straw - Straw can keep the score close with most guys, but also loses to most. Young by decision.

165 - Marinelli vs Jennings - Jennings is a potential NCAA Q, but Marinelli is a title contender. Watch out for Marinelli’s cow catcher or it could be a fall, but I’ll take Marinelli by major.

174 - Wilson vs Coleman - Wilson is very strong, but Coleman is much to skilled. I have Coleman by decision.

184 - Wilke vs Colbray - think Colbray hangs tight for the first period but Wilke puts it on him later in the match. Wilke wins by 6, but could be a major.

197 - Warner vs Miklus - Warner beat him last year, but has not wrestled this year for some reason. I’ll take Miklus by dec.

Hvy - Costello vs Gremmel - Gremmel favored by a decision against Iowa’s 3rd stringer.

ISU could win 133, 141, 149, 174, 197, and hvy. They may also lose each of those. I’d say they are favorites at 174 and heavy, and underdogs in the other 3.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Didn't realize Kemerer might be legitimately hurt. Was at their dual vs. Purdue and figured he was just out for a maintenance day with the rest of their starters.

If he is out, then I agree, we should win 174.

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
Iowa wrestled 5 backups against Purdue, and Brands quote below from the iawrestle link states "It's the lineup you're going to see." Unless he was being untruthful, that means no Lee, Lugo, Kemerer, Warner or Stoll.

https://iawrestle.com/2018/11/24/depth-on-display-as-iowa-tops-purdue-in-big-ten-opener/

You never know what’s going on in that wrestling room and we are going to rely on these guys for the near term,” Brands said. “It’s the lineup you’re going to see and we have to be making hay with that lineup. I don’t know how many teams can throw five backups in there and win in seven different weights."

#3 IOWA 26, #14 PURDUE 9
197 — Mitch Bowman (IA) dec. #11 Christian Brunner (P), 7-5; 3-0
285 — Jacob Aven (P) dec. Aaron Costello (IA), 3-1 SV1; 3-3
125 — #15 Devin Shroder (P) dec. Perez Perez (IA), 4-2; 3-6
133 — #11 Austin DeSanto (IA) dec. #18 Ben Thornton (P), 5-2; 6-6
141 — #14 Max Murin (IA) dec. #19 Nate Limex (P), 5-0; 9-6
149 — Carter Happel (IA) dec. Parker Filius (P), 2-0; 12-6
157 — #13 Kaleb Young (IA) pinned #14 Griffin Parriott (P), 3:37; 18-6
165 — #4 Alex Marinelli (IA) major dec. Cole Wysocki (P), 14-3; 22-6
174 — #13 Dylan Lydy (P) dec. Myles Wilson (IA), 7-3; 22-9
184 — #12 Cash Wilcke (IA) major dec. Max Lyon (P), 12-4; 26-9

wrestlingphish

Aug 10, 2017
Savage Take from JP

Assuming Pollard was equally upset when last years meet was only available for purchase via Cyclones.tv or is that different?

Also, I'll take Coleman over Wilson but Wilson does own a win over him in freestyle so he can potentially hang with him.

My guess is no Kem or Stoll but we will see Lee, Lugo, and Warner.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Assuming Pollard was equally upset when last years meet was only available for purchase via Cyclones.tv or is that different?

Also, I'll take Coleman over Wilson but Wilson does own a win over him in freestyle so he can potentially hang with him.

Several of the cable companies in north iowa carry cyclones tv in their regular package. So, yes, that is different.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

wrestlingphish

Aug 10, 2017
So the meet was behind a paywall for most Iowans last year just like this year? Is ISU making all of their home wrestling meets available via standard cable this year?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So the meet was behind a paywall for most Iowans last year just like this year? Is ISU making all of their home wrestling meets available via standard cable this year?

If you call cable a paywall, then I guess. All home meets are on cyclone tv, available in many basic cable packages. Its like the BTN that cable companies carry, you call that a paywall?

Reactions: cyfan21

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Comparing Cyclones.tv to Big Ten plus is really dumb

wrestlingphish

Aug 10, 2017
If you call cable a paywall, then I guess. All home meets are on cyclone tv, available in many basic cable packages. Its like the BTN that cable companies carry, you call that a paywall?

Does your cable company charge you? Cable is absolutely a paywall just of a different sort. Your cable company didn't just include Cyclones.TV out of the good of their heart.

Do I wish the meet was on BTN or even better IPTV? Absolutely - but why would BTN show a meet that has no conference significance and no national significance over a basketball game that will have better rating. Maybe if/when ISU cracks the top 5 they will decide to preempt basketball for non-conference wrestling.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gerbs