Official UT postgame thread

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I’m wondering if the defense was trying to flush him that way? It was odd and obviously not the optimal way to roll if you want to throw effectively.

I commented on this during the game. They saw something in tape. When we shifted our line their defense never moved. Our shifts are done to set things up. They never bit on it. Corned Purdy time and agin on the left side. That and our protection on that side was horrid.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones122

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I'm worried K-State is going to time of possession us to death. Worried offense not going to have as many drives as normal.
Maybe, but they will probably commit numerous turnovers and penalties as they seem to do a lot of that this year.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
yes, the OL is the worst in the conference, and it isn't really close. DM has the ability to mask a lot of it, but you saw what we were like without him for a half. Need to find a way to make that unit get to the level of everything else.

There is a lot of truth to Montgomery masking the OL's weakness. I'm not sure we have the season we expect to in 2019 with a David Montgomery in the NFL. I definitely don't expect anyone else to breaking the number of tackles a David Montgomery does but I'm not even sure we currently have a back that can do it on a regular basis to move the ball.

That could turn a 9/10 win season into a 7/8 again.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Love this quote from WRNL sums it up well.

“They Cyclones couldn’t talckle, the offensive line couldn’t stop a nosebleed, and Purdy played the worst game of his short career."

• Agree
Reactions: Spanky

cyanide

Apr 21, 2006
There is a lot of truth to Montgomery masking the OL's weakness. I'm not sure we have the season we expect to in 2019 with a David Montgomery in the NFL. I definitely don't expect anyone else to breaking the number of tackles a David Montgomery does but I'm not even sure we currently have a back that can do it on a regular basis to move the ball.

That could turn a 9/10 win season into a 7/8 again.

I think he will return next year to finish the job.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Just got back from the game.

I'm glad this game was on the Longhorn network....so the rest of the country didn’t see ISU play like hot garbage

If Ellinger would not have gotten hurt, Texas could have scored 48. In the ISU section, it was like watching ISU football in 2014: getting out hit on both sides of the ball, cheering for first downs, talking about basketball.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Love this quote from WRNL sums it up well.

“They Cyclones couldn’t talckle, the offensive line couldn’t stop a nosebleed, and Purdy played the worst game of his short career."
Yep, pretty much hit the nail on the head.

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
I just don't get the coaching / game plan. Did we walk in to the biggest game of they year, without our best RB out for a half, and literally just do the exact same thing we have been doing the last few games, thinking it will be awesome and we could just win?
No different plays on offense, same 3 man front and coverage scheme on D.
Texas had us beat before the game even started.

Love Campbell and Heacock, but man that looked terrible.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What makes this loss worse? The fact that it goes hand in hand with logging into Facebook after the game to see hundreds of shared posts highlighting Iowa's 63-0 win over hapless Illinois. Guess the fans have already forgiven Ferentz.

Would have loved to play Illinois today

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Couldn't watch but saw the stats.

Just not there yet. ISU was in the driver's seat for the CCG for about 30 minutes.

Hopefully put it together to salvage the next two games....I would have signed up for 7-5 or 8-4 any day in August. Just sucks to be in that position and see it drop that hard.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
What makes this loss worse? The fact that it goes hand in hand with logging into Facebook after the game to see hundreds of shared posts highlighting Iowa's 63-0 win over hapless Illinois. Guess the fans have already forgiven Ferentz.

Would have loved to play Illinois today
I would love to play the T/Hoks again!!!!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
People keep asking how our offense could be so bad against a Texas D that many other offenses "worked""

1. You know how our D hasn't quite been the same since we started suffering injuries and are missing key personnel - you know, we don't quite get the pressure with the 3 DL anymore, we have a hole in the secondary, etc? That was Texas for much of the year. They got several key personnel back and were at full strength this evening, and we weren't ready for it.

2. We obviously missed DM a lot more in the first half than a lot of us anticipated.

3. It is extremely clear at this point in the year we need an OC other than Campbell. Forcing offense up the middle has never been this team's strength and yet Campbell insists on doing it.

HonestCyFan

Sep 29, 2018
It is clear after tonight that the main blockade from us being an elite team is our pathetic excuse of an OL. This team won’t improve until Good Jones is gone, and really don’t think Newell is worthy of a starting position in all honesty. It hurts we’re losing one of our only good blockers in Seonbuchner after this year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It is clear after tonight that the main blockade from us being an elite team is our pathetic excuse of an OL. This team won’t improve until Good Jones is gone, and really don’t think Newell is worthy of a starting position in all honesty. It hurts we’re losing one of our only good blockers in Seonbuchner after this year.

I think you can be honest and not be a jackass.

Cyclone46

May 14, 2009
Charleston, SC
I saw many more problems tonight than just the O line. Not saying you are wrong, but the tackling tonight was beyond bad and our D Line was blown off the ball several times. Lots of blame to go around on this game.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Good Jones and Newell are NOT the issue. Sure they got beat a lot tonight, but that's because they are out there all game long. We still don't have depth at the position Campbell is building from the ground up. It's only year 3, and he started out with twigs, a couple pebbles, and some masking tape to work with. Could it have something to do with the fact that we start a walk-on former defensive lineman on the OL? Probably.