Oregon-Iowa basketball

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

rhoho

Dec 2, 2015
Southern Iowa
Not sure why Oregon is ranked so high. They don't look very good.

Iowa definitely doesn't.

Iowa just kind of throws it up.

Oregon has a top 10 freshmen that is out right now. When he is back they will be a better team. I think the ranking is off their recruiting class and him playing

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
He only had 4 turnovers which is pretty good for him. Also made one 3
Improvements. Fran's plan is coming together in year 8 or whatever it is.

I'm not sure Dana Altman scouted Iowa at all. It's not hard to figure out how to defend that team.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I thought Iowa was impressive last night (minus Jordan B). The problem I have seen in the past with Fran team - one night they look like a final 4 team and then they lose 8 out 10 the next month.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Nice win by Iowa, but from what I saw Oregon looks lost, disinterested, undisciplined, and overall like a bunch of guys with no plan other than to let their talented guys try to make an NBA hero ball move.

Somehow the guy who was hero balling the most seemed to have the skill set of Little Lick.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I thought Iowa was impressive last night (minus Jordan B). The problem I have seen in the past with Fran team - one night they look like a final 4 team and then they lose 8 out 10 the next month.

There was a 3 minute stretch very early in the second half where Fran played a lineup so deep and unpolished that blew my mind. It was literally the only way Oregon could have gotten back in the game.

I genuinely think our current bench of Conditt, Lewis, Griffin and two walk ons would have been pretty evenly matched with this lineup he had out there. One guy I've never even heard of before.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Good win for the Hawks, but my goodness did I walk away unimpressed by Oregon. Fran nailed it about mid-way through the first half-- they don't have anyone that can break you down. Pritchard had a bad game, and while you can see Bol Bol's potential he wasn't that great in the game. As mentioned above by someone, reminded me of our game against Mizzou. A good win against a team that will probably round into shape later on, but who played very poorly on the night we played them.

Yeah, their offense was passing it around the perimeter, and if they were open, shot fake so that they were no longer open, then pass it around some more. When they did try to drive, they proceeded in until they got into trouble and had to throw up a wild contested shot. Decent defense by Iowa, made better by a complete lack of decisiveness by Oregon players.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
If TH, THT, and NWB are all full strength they should be able to hold things together on Iowa's guards. They don't like it when someone guards them.

Also any of Iowa's bigs would need to play lights out in defending Jacobson. Saw Ernie hit a couple of threes last night so maybe that's a concern.
Did you see Iowa against UMKC or Green Bay? They didn't look like they did last night. They'll have nerd rage in their favor, and a large crowd of free pizza lovers, but I still think we have a good shot either way.
On paper I agree, but Iowa always has this game circled. S-U-P-E-R-B-O-W-L every year so we will get their best.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Iowa always looks like a Final Four team in November. Then the fake confidence wears off and they become Fraverage.

They will beat us in Iowa City. Lard and Wiggy will be out -- or not back to 100% yet -- and in typical fashion, their fans won't know they beat us without our two best players. In March, we'll be the far better team, but they'll never acknowledge it.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rural and LLCoolCY

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I caught most of the game last night. I'll give credit to the Hawks they deserved that win. Any team they hold to under 70 they have a good chance of winning. I think that was more about a young Oregon's team bad offense than the Hawks holding them down.

I didn't see much improvement from last years team. I only saw a few comments in the thread but for those who think their defense is improved, I am not sure.
Oregon was getting to with rim when ever they wanted just kept bricking layups. They were also leaving multiple shooters open from three due to poor rotations, Oregon was shooting so poorly the seemed gun shy to even shoot late. On offense they had trouble getting into the lane and made up for shooting well from 3 (especially Kriener) seems less than reliable and they turned the ball over at an alarming rate even for them. I have a feeling Prohm will watch the tape and think of his early success with the press and smile.

We'll see a better test later when the play UCONN. Hurley impressed me with his new team even if they are a little undermanned as he gets his players in the program. They beat Syracuse by playing the same gritty hussel style and limiting mistakes like his RI teams. If Iowa puts forth a similar effort and beats UCONN I'll revisit my expectations for Iowa but right now I think this year results will be like last years for them.

I actually feel better about the upcoming Cyhawk game after watching their 10 pt win while I watched. We should match up well with our length and early ability to force turnovers even with out LW and SY.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cy$

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Watched some of the game last night. Iowa looks better than they did last year. I will give them that. But I thought that Oregon team was way overrated before the game and after watching them I think I am correct. They lost too much and are going to be too reliant on Freshman this year. Middle of the pack Pac 12 team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah for missing a free throw on purpose last year so he did not beat streets record

I think I remember that...wouldn't it be more noble to miss on purpose prior to tying to record? Because otherwise you're still just laying claim to having the record.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think I remember that...wouldn't it be more noble to miss on purpose prior to tying to record? Because otherwise you're still just laying claim to having the record.
There are a lot of things to either make fun of or dislike about JorBo. Him missing that shot isn't one of them in my opinion. Sure he could have said nothing about it, but one of his teammates would have spilled the beans. And when he did talk about it, he talked about Street, not himself. I don't really have an issue with him tying it first. After all he still would have had the opportunity to beat the record - whatever it ended up being - if Street had lived and continued playing.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Might be one the best IA games I've seen in a few years. Same team as lest year with a sense of urgency on the defensive side of the ball. They looked good even if Oregon is young and over rated. IA still made them look bad.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Both teams shot a combined 35% from the field. Was the defense ok, yes. But at one point in the second half, Oregon missed 6 layups/point-blank-shots in a row.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I agree with that sentiment, its just a general lack of talent. You can hide deficiencies from time to time but not for an entire season. Hot shooting from 3 comes and goes as well just like it does for any team as well. Weiscamp is the real deal so they do have some perimeter talent now atleast.