Season Ends Strong with Post Season Bid -->2019 Discussion

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
At least there was a crowd in Hilton last night. My wife and daughter went to Howks match last night and personally knew just about everyone in the crowd and the line judge.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
At least there was a crowd in Hilton last night. My wife and daughter went to Howks match last night and personally knew just about everyone in the crowd and the line judge.
@emptyseatsgalore had a tweet pic last night with all 8 of the attendees

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Put down KSU 3-1 with NINE players tonight. Is Volleyball the most dangerous sport?

There have been a lot of injuries. There are always ankle sprains that come with the territory. Knees usually hurt from the constant jumping and landing even though most are on a jump counts. It usually does not keep them from playing. This year has just been strange! Broken finger for Hart. It just seems like a very strange random bunch of injuries that piled up at the wrong time in the same position. I don't know how common the hip injury for Rhodes is but we had a girl on the HS team. I am pleasantly surprised this team didn't fold the tent completely.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
There have been a lot of injuries. There are always ankle sprains that come with the territory. Knees usually hurt from the constant jumping and landing even though most are on a jump counts. It usually does not keep them from playing. This year has just been strange! Broken finger for Hart. It just seems like a very strange random bunch of injuries that piled up at the wrong time in the same position. I don't know how common the hip injury for Rhodes is but we had a girl on the HS team. I am pleasantly surprised this team didn't fold the tent completely.
The only available healthy sub at this point not in CJL’s current rotation is Jenna Brandt. Bailey, Anderson, Hart and Rhodes are all currently injured and unavailable.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
For the sake of curiosity, here are this week's RPI standings for Big 12 teams:

5) Texas
21) Baylor
28) Kansas
54) Texas Tech
60) Kansas State
63) Iowa State
77) TCU
78) Oklahoma
113) West Virginia

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
We are up 2-0 sets overat OU as of now. Let's see how things go. Over the weekend I got a new memorabilia prize-a volleyball signed by Eleanor H.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Beat OU 3-0. Holthaus hit .650 with 13 kills and zero errs. Jess had 18 kills, hit .286 and 4 errs.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Would be nice to get a couple more wins but there is no chance they get a bid, none. :(
Got to win both remaining matches which gets them to 9-7 in conference play. Two B12 teams with 9-7 records were noted in the article I linked so they may still have a slim chance.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyfan1965

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Big sweep last night against KU. ISU was 74 in the RPI going into last night's match and will need to at least get into the 50s with a win over Tech in the finale to have any NCAA tourney chances.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
ISU was #78 in the latest RPI posted on ncaa.com prior to tonight's match. If they win out at
home against KU and Tech, they may stilll have a shot to get an at large bid:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/volleybal...ms-rpi-can-be-make-ncaa-volleyball-tournament
This link currently has ISU at #58 in the VB RPI which puts them right on or slightly below the historical bubble cut line. Might be helpful for OU to beat KU later today which put KU at 8-8 behind ISU and OU at 9-7. KU is currently ahead of ISU in the RPI while OU is 13 spots back. ISU did sweep KU and split with OU. An OU win would likely establish ISU as the clear #3 B12 team in the at-large pecking order
.http://ncaastats.figstats.net/volleyball-rpi.cgi

Reactions: Acylum

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
This link currently has ISU at #58 in the VB RPI which puts them right on or slightly below the historical bubble cut line. Might be helpful for OU to beat KU later today which put KU at 8-8 behind ISU and OU at 9-7. KU is currently ahead of ISU in the RPI while OU is 13 spots back. ISU did sweep KU and split with OU. An OU win would likely establish ISU as the clear #3 B12 team in the at-large pecking order
.http://ncaastats.figstats.net/volleyball-rpi.cgi
OU and K-Boo are heading to a 5th set, last I saw. I believe ISU has an outside chance to make it to the NCAAs and keep the appearance streak alive.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
OU beats Kansas in 5. OU ties for 3rd [with ISU] at 9-7 (17-11). KU falls to 8-8 (15-12), alone in 5th place and has lost 8 of their last 10 matches. The Jayhawks were 13-4 overall before their season-ending slide. Iowa State swept Kansas, split with OU this season.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Will be an interesting selection show - we ended up tied for third in conference, but definitely assumed on be on the wrong side of the bubble. We swept 2 teams below us - KU and K-State - who are predicted to get in. The VB committee always goes by the RPI bible - and ours isn't good. We look better on Rich Kern and Pablo.
Who knows?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron